Hubbell and Donohue on 2018-19 season | Golden Skate

Hubbell and Donohue on 2018-19 season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A candid interview with U.S. ice dancers Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue on their re-vamped dances for the 2018-19 season, Olympic experience, and goals moving into U.S. Nationals.

https://youtu.be/Be84_24mSvE

What are your thoughts on their performances? Where do you think they can improve?

Love seeing a "fresh-faced" Madison!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I absolutely loved it! Especially the part about their relationship, so interesting!

Right? I was both surprised and happy with the candidness :)

I can see they put a lot of work into those programs. I'm looking forward to seeing them again at US Nats.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Great interview. Nice to hear about their competitors Madison and Evan, lovely to hear them being so positive all along. They really sound like nice people in this talk. Thank you for this.

Weathergal

Medalist
A candid interview with U.S. ice dancers Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue on their re-vamped dances for the 2018-19 season, Olympic experience, and goals moving into U.S. Nationals.

https://youtu.be/Be84_24mSvE

What are your thoughts on their performances? Where do you think they can improve?

Love seeing a "fresh-faced" Madison!

Thanks foe the interview - another great job by Ted. :thumbsup:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great interview: even if Madi and Zach are not your absolute faves, their honesty and approach to skating is refreshing and this is worth a listen.

Echoing another great job by Ted:clap:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What they said ... or maybe it was what Madi said ... about Madison and Evan, makes me really eager to see their new programs. I think it's going to be very interesting to see what new subtleties can be brought out in Maddie and Evan by coaches who are also a couple in life.

I've noticed before that Madi and Zach can be unguarded in their answers, and they're particularly generous in their remarks about their competitors. Just really lovely people. I think they're ... ahem ... interesting on several levels. And I love that they are performers, and that they made a choice to re-capture more of that this year. It shows.

ETA: Also, what an interesting contrast C/B are with H/D. The latter found that being a couple in real life wasn't optimal for their skating. Several other pairs, who were married then divorced and remained pairs partners, (or not married but a romantic couple) said the same thing. Then, for others, it works or even enhances their skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Madison has a very interesting accent. Where in the states is she from?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
They're nothing if not candid, which makes them a very good team to interview. No Meryl and Charlie PR pat answers here. Good for Ted to get them to talk so revealingly about their relationship history, which is by far the best part of the interview. Well Worth Your Time.

ETA: I think they're deluding themselves into thinking the R&J program is better than it is. I hope next year they take more time in devising a program concept that isn't such a glaring mismatch.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right...Those dudes from Detroit...."Let's Go Ta Da Stah"…..I thought they were so cool when this California dude came to town,

Yeah, that's a good example. You should visit Michigan's Upper Peninsula sometime. It would be a revelation. My boys can fall into that accent at the drop of a hat and do a hilarious riff. They can even do it without anything off-color or vulgar, which would cause their mom to wince.

:eek:topic:

Thread drift. :) The Detroit accent is basically the black version of the deep south. The majority of Detroit residents have family roots in Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana. (Also Georgia, for a variant.)

As for the Yoopers, that's Finnish + French Canadian. :yes:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ Exactly so. :)

ETA: And also a lot of white folks with Appalachian roots in some of the 'burbs.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Haha- I’m from Michigan and everyone on the west coast where I live thinks I’m Canadian.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After all this analysis of Michigan accents, I had to hear Madi again, so I listened to the first half of the interview again. So glad I did. They focused on the changes in their programs,which were about finding more ways to perform better, get the feelings of young love, the passion, and to make the audience feel that again, re-experience what it's like to look into the eyes of first love. I think they accomplished that so admirably.

I was taken aback by how all the discussions here of their R&J, after the GPF, focused on tech. Listening to this interview tells me that Madi, Zach and their team focused on making the audience feel the intent of the program. It was a huge challenge, a lot of work, (they kept making changes up till the Sunday before the event) to fit all the tech requirements into that, and to make the tech serve the emotion, and be a dance.

I think Madi and Zach accomplished their goal brilliantly. There's still a lot of work ahead, a lot of tinkering according to Madi ... but thev've laid down their purpose.

Madison has a very interesting accent.

You're right. She has the Mid-western twang, which is softened and pulled back by something Southern US and Canadian at the same time! Intriguing.