Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
You could see a glimpse of Eteri's personality in 2016 in her and Zhenya's interview (entitled "1+1"), but a huge responsibility before her family and her school obliged her to be strong and not show any doubts or weaknesses on public. Now that a part of her family went away and tore away a piece of her heart, it seems to be even harder for her. Thank you Ted for letting Eteri get this emotional burden off her chest.

freeman21

On the Ice
Ok, I'm gonna get bashed for saying this, but here it goes:

It's obvious that she's honest in a lot of the answers she gave to Ted, but some answers are uhm... stretching it. I'm talking about the ones regarding choosing unique music that fits her skaters and explaining to them what story they are supposed to tell through that music and their skating.

Remember Trusova's "Big Spender" last season? I wonder if she explained what 'Big Spender' is all about to this great 14 year old skater (13 at that time).

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

It's obvious that she's honest in a lot of the answers she gave to Ted, but some answers are uhm... stretching it. I'm talking about the ones regarding choosing unique music that fits her skaters and explaining to them what story they are supposed to tell through that music and their skating.

Remember Trusova's "Big Spender" last season? I wonder if she explained what 'Big Spender' is all about to this great 14 year old skater (13 at that time).

She said though that sometimes Daniil picks the music and sometimes is her, so we don't know who picked that one.

But all of this confirms what we've been discussed for a while here, that Eteri-Daniil (and probably his mother too) choreograph the programs and it was the same when Averbukh worked with them: it's a team effort, instead of letting the choreographer working alone with the student.

Just keep in mind that both when you like or dislike one of their programs and i think it works similarly for many other russian coaches (we know Mishin does the same)

freeman21

On the Ice
She said though that sometimes Daniil picks the music and sometimes is her, so we don't know who picked that one.

But all of this confirms what we've been discussed for a while here, that Eteri-Daniil (and probably his mother too) choreograph the programs and it was the same when Averbukh worked with them: it's a team effort, instead of letting the choreographer working alone with the student.

Just keep in mind that both when you like or dislike one of their programs and i think it works similarly for many other russian coaches (we know Mishin does the same)

Funny you'd say that because I liked that program even though I cringed and felt a bit weird whenever I was actually thinking about what it's really about. Nevertheless, I'm not your average figure skating fan in terms of music likes/dislikes. For example I liked Tarasova / Morozov's Candy Man last season, but it seems that 90% of the forum was hating it (sorry, but I'll take a fun cheesy program any day instead of a "classic" snoozefest :D ).

As for Eteri... let's be honest here for a second, even if Daniil chose that music, there's no way Eteri didn't have any say in it. And also, I would like to ask again, do you really think they explained to Alexandra what the program/music is about (as she says she does in the interview)?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Great interview, great Eteri what I knew. I was a Eteri defender... I read the comments under the video.I find very entertaining Eteri was the evil some days ago ( to Ted tweet for example) but I didn't read a bad opinion on her now. The people are so simple sometimes.. ;)

atsumiri

Record Breaker
having fun. It's entertaining music. And Sasha perform it well without attempting to sexualize the program. And the program was really well choreographed.
You didn't get the point. It's not literal to exact music they use or lyric. They're always trying to create their own story and character behind the music. Just like "Angel" for Alena.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Funny you'd say that because I liked that program even though I cringed and felt a bit weird whenever I was actually thinking about what it's really about. Nevertheless, I'm not your average figure skating fan in terms of music likes/dislikes. For example I liked Tarasova / Morozov's Candy Man last season, but it seems that 90% of the forum was hating it (sorry, but I'll take a fun cheesy program any day instead of a "classic" snoozefest :D ).

As for Eteri... let's be honest here for a second, even if Daniil chose that music, there's no way Eteri didn't have any say in it. And also, I would like to ask again, do you really think they explained to Alexandra what the program/music is about (as she says she does in the interview)?

I don't how much the age appropriate is a thing in Russia, cause i've definitely seen some weird music and dresses even from Tutberidze's junior girls before Daniil joined the group and it's not just them.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qWvDMAEb12w/hqdefault.jpg

With Big Spender I think they tried to take the literal meaning of those lyrics (which are about having fun, just fun with no innuendos) but yeah i'd have liked to hear it from them too.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Great interview, great Eteri what I knew. I was a Eteri defender... I read the comments under the video.I find very entertaining Eteri was the evil some days ago ( to Ted tweet for example) but I didn't read a bad opinion on her now. The people are so simple sometimes.. ;)

I haven’t listened yet, but if Ted avoided controversial subjects (such as some of the comments Eteri made about Zhenya last spring), it’s not surprising that reaction to this interview would be mostly positive.

starlight97

Final Flight
Anyone else thinks language makes a big difference in the way a person expresses herself and their personality appears?

Although for being Russian, coming from a language that's so far from English, she speaks very well, I just feel like the limited range of expressiveness really influences the answers and how they sound a.k.a how her personality appears to be.

Looking for words and saying "you know" and "like" a lot also really 'humanizes'. In the russian interviews I've seen, as she's way more precise and has more hard/cut sentences she sounds harsher.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven’t listened yet, but if Ted avoided controversial subjects (such as some of the comments Eteri made about Zhenya last spring), it’s not surprising that reaction to this interview would be mostly positive.

It’s a very intimate interview. Im actually glad it was left out because at this point enough has been said already IMO. It goes by very quick and shows a personal and I might even say vulnerable side of Eteri.

Ted probably isn’t going for drama as I think his heart is in what’s good for the sport first. I think him and Eteri share this passion and understand each other very well.

moriel

Record Breaker

Just a side note, they are not always literal.
For instance, Tsurskaya had this amazing Light of the Seven program which had actually nothing to do with Game of Thrones. The story of the program is not necessarely what 'Big Spender' is about in your head

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I love Ted, but Ted doesn’t do controversy or hard edged. If we want to see Eteri’s answer as to whether she had actually seen the movie “Sweet Charity”, or as to what a coach in her 40s should say about a skater in her teens, Ted won’t be that interviewer.

Nothing wrong with a little hagiography now and then as long as folks know that’s what they’re getting :)

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It’s a very intimate interview. Im actually glad it was left out because at this point enough has been said already IMO. It goes by very quick and shows a personal and I might even say vulnerable side of Eteri.

Ted probably isn’t going for drama as I think his heart is in what’s good for the sport first. I think him and Eteri share this passion and understand each other very well.

Yes I’ve met Ted and he is very nice and I have a lot of respect for the way he approaches his work. It sounds like he did a good interview and I look forward to listening. I saw a program a couple of years ago which featured Eteri, and she talked about her experience with the Oklahoma City bombing among other things and I found her very interesting and had a positive impression. My real point in commenting was that there is no magic in the change in people’s perceptions of Eteri based on this interview. It’s likely that neither picture of her (ogre or angel) is 100% true; she’s human like the rest of us. But the fact that she apparently comes off as very sympathetic here doesn’t necessarily mean that she hasn’t also said or done things that might be viewed as negative by some.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Ted is such a genuine fan and supporter of the sport of figure skating. It's no wonder that he has fans from so many different countries. I think he is probably the most unbiased commentator I have listened to.

I'm glad he avoided controversy. There was no reason to drag up things that were said months ago- I think all parties would like to move on. I say this as someone who was not really a fan of Eteri, but I really enjoyed the interview. You could also tell she warmed up to him as the interview went on. It was quite touching and a good reminder that the individuals we watch in skating are real people.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It was a good interview, but it doesn't change my opinion of her after watching that Alina/Evgenia documentary in which she was especially mean to Alina. Maybe that's what you have to do to develop an Olympic champion, but it still seems too harsh to treat children that way.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Just a side note, they are not always literal.
For instance, Tsurskaya had this amazing Light of the Seven program which had actually nothing to do with Game of Thrones. The story of the program is not necessarely what 'Big Spender' is about in your head
Its not just in @freeman21 head. Its the origin of the song, what its about :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Spender

The original scene from 1969 movie :
https://youtu.be/iG3VfKlfDEk

Peggy Lee's version :
https://youtu.be/x3MamvKeOvg

Trusova's skate, with lyrics & all : https://youtu.be/QShP1Mnv03A

I'm not from an English speaking country and I immediately know/remember what its about & the connotations it brings.
"The minute you walked in the joint..."
"I dont pop my cork for every man I see"
...."I can show you a good time, let me show you a good time.." LOL, it cant be anymore obvious.

Even my chinese educated colleagues know & asked - 'This song abt GRO(guest relations officer) ah ?

To give Eteri & Danii benefit of doubt, I'll put it to language barrier/lost in translation.