Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze | Golden Skate

Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What an interesting interview with an initially slightly guarded Eteri Tutberidze, who gets very emotional towards the end. Enlightening into her character, and sensitively handled by Ted Barton.

First time I've heard her speak in English, and she has an American accent via her days in a touring show over there.
LOL that she chooses Boitano and not Orser in the Battle of the Brians as her fave skater. ;)

https://youtu.be/yLqjDQDSS0c

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wonderful interview -- shows us an interesting side of Eteri. Wish she had talked a little more about the roles of the members of her coaching team. Didn't realize she had such an emotional time during the Olys with her mom's situation...Thx for posting.

Helena b

Rinkside
Ted is a very tactful interviewer.

Also, I think Eteri is way more sensitive than the "Ice Queen" image the fs media has been trying to built for her.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted has so much respect for her and you can see it in the honesty of his questions.

I was really moved by the way she described Juliet coming alive from a still picture in a book to show us her story and then return to her still picture form. It’s interesting how much emotion and thought they put into their programs.

I think in many ways this group is on a bit of a collective spiritual journey :pray:

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I've just watched it and was simply moved by how she broke while talking about her mother dying during the Olympics and how this sad condition didn't let her fully enjoy the huge success of her skaters. I also liked discovering she's so passionate about the music, programs and the story her team and the girls want to transmit on the ice. Definitely, after the few interviews I have read so far, that's the first time she doesn't seem heartless and icy. I think in a video interview the facial expressions also contribute to the general impression and in this interview she was simply calm, serene, smiling (apart from the moment when she mentioned her mom) and even romantic.

There are no questions about Evgenia or Alina and the talk mainly concentrates on the junior ladies. It was quite funny when Ted revealed he was afraid of interviewing her and she admitted that she is also sometimes afraid of herself.

andromache

Record Breaker
This is a fantastic interview. As someone who doesn't really like Eteri (I'll be honest), Ted did a great job humanizing her. His questions were great. I liked hearing about how she gets way too nervous to watch her daughter perform, and how her daughter tells her "You're my mom, you're not my coach" whenever Eteri tries to give her advice :laugh:. Sounds like a fairly typical mother/daughter relationship. I think we all tend to forget that Eteri herself is a parent to a daughter, which probably helps her understand and communicate with her students. I wonder how she would react to her own daughter attempting quads if she was a singles skater? :think:

While I am not always a fan of her skaters' programs, I do appreciate that she and Daniil are genuinely trying to tell a story in those programs. Even if the story can be (IMO) a little too literal and overwrought, it's because they want to make sure the audience sees the story. I can appreciate that effort.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I really liked the interview. I hope people see that she has an emotional side too, she's not a robot, and she cares for her skaters too.

I was really moved by the way she described Juliet coming alive from a still picture in a book to show us her story and then return to her still picture form. It’s interesting how much emotion and thought they put into their programs.

This is the best part of the programs for me. I love knowing the thought that went into making the programs. It's not like that for all of the programs and I really dislike some of them, but I love knowing what's behind the movements of the programs. I love seeing storytelling on ice.

alinaharry

On the Ice
I love Ted so much and think he did a great job with the interview. I am not an emotional person and I was actually getting emotional at the end when she was talking about her mother. I have always thought that the media is trying to paint her as a much more ice queen image than she is. I think she genuinely cares about her skaters and I never thought that watching her girls attempt all those quads worries her. I liked hearing how she really felt about watching her daughter skate, and how they try to create the programs they do for their skaters, it shows she really is human. She seems to be very guarded usually and I really enjoyed getting to see her like this.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Wow, amazing interview.

I think the most telling part was when she spoke of not wanting her skaters to regret to doing something that they are capable of doing because of an unknown future. Very interesting and I can really understand that mentality. Also the way she described trying to draw out the unique character of each of her skaters was evocative.

I also had no idea that her mother’s illness was so drawn out, that’s heartbreaking.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Oh, this is just lovely. I think only Ted could do this, show this other side of Eteri. Very moving.

chasseneige

Rinkside
This was a fantastic interview. I’ve always admired Eteri for her incredible coaching abilities as well as her artistic insight. I think she does a remarkable job of highlighting her skaters’ best individual qualities and characteristics in the programs she designs. Her contribution to the sport is widely regarded and much appreciated.

I also thought it was endearing when Ted asked Eteri about her favorite foods and movies.. I too like good sashimi!

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
What a great, compassionate interview from Ted. It's so nice to see an interview without an agenda that wasn't trying to provoke certain responses from Eteri. I may not agree with everything that she does, but she does have this other more emotional, creative side that was interesting to see as opposed to the stoic woman we always see in the kiss and cry.

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight
Honestly, I really didn't like Eteri but after watching this, she's completely changed in my eyes. Ted has done such a great job of humanising Eteri and she seems to be so genuine and emotional. I still may not agree with the things that she does but you can really see a new side of her that had previously stayed hidden.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I loved the interview, so wonderful. Ted is just an angel, and you can tell how much he likes Eteri's team. And of course, Eteri herself - I almost cried when she talked about her mother. And it was so interesting to hear her takes on programs, quads, her daughter, etc. She truly is revolutionizing the sport.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I love listening to her. Not just for her accent.. Which I love but, she is really very wise. She has done a lot for the sport and I love that she continues to push her students to be the best in the World. Bravo.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That was a great interview! She really is a great coach and deserves all the accolades
and respect for what she does and I am glad that Ted got a chance to tell her that.