Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Yes, that's probably a factor that isn't entirely Eteri's fault. I doubt she can or should control what students talk or say to each other and I doubt she tries to either.

My main argument was mainly that I'd like for Team Eteri to hire a professional nutritionist so that they can just answer all these questions about weight with: "We have someone who knows their stuff and cares about that and works with the students individually to make sure they are healthy. We take this matter very seriously and address it carefully." It would stop all these discussions and actually, I think it would help Eteri and her girls, too. It would take some responsibility away from them. While the girls would still obviously have to make sure to follow what they've decided on to be the diet with the nutritionist, the coaches and parents, too would have a plan for each individual and could act according to that. And if something regarding their body changes, they'd pick it up early enough and make the necessary adjustments.

It just troubles me that these are young girls who are often experiencing pressure with weight anyway (boys do, too, of course, but I don't know as much about the ones Eteri teaches, so that's why my focus is on her female students only. That being said, I know very well that eating disorders and troubles with weight are in no way solely a girls' problem and obviously affect boys, too!) and aren't in the hand of people who know what they're doing to work out with them individually what's best for them. They're rather being left off to deal with this on their own or only with the coaches' and parents' help, who, despite being informed as best as they can, have not studied this and probably also don't have the time or knowledge to work out an individual system for each of them. And especially for a facility as big as Sambo and a coach with so many world class skaters as Eteri.. I judt don't think this is right in any way. I wish this issue would be more addressed. That athletes all over the world could get to work with professionals to make sure they are healthy and don't destroy their body and minds by having the wrong diet...

I remember Eteri refuting her girls being robots by saying none of them weight over 45 kilos. So does that mean that 90% of the western world are robots? What does weight have to do with being human and why did she bring weight and not "they fall a lot in practice... they all have have their flaws that they work on constantly?".

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Or she weighs herself at home in the nude which is what almost everyone I went to HS did. I knew a girl who subtracted 3 pounds from her weight for all her body hair (she had shortish hair so it always begged the question) and so, as she would proudly tell people, weighed 110 lb.

When we condition girls to associate weight with beauty (rather than health) we create competitiveness within them (as some girls will do almost anything to be the prettiest) and within those groups dieting is very strongly discussed. I remember siting at many lunch tables with girls who weren't eating who would proudly tell you how little they ate yesterday or planned to eat today so I can only imagine what a fish bowl like Eteri's rink is like. Girls talk to each other, they egg each other on and throw into that the hyper competitive nature of sport and you are talking about a soup of teenage angst and unhealthy choices.

Possibly. But that wouldn't be the scale or weight that she was comparing herself to when she says, "not bad." I'd assume that the weight that she is using for comparison would be the one that's taken at sambo using that scale.

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the links to the interview. Are there anymore by non-Russian interviewers (Russian press is often less objective when 'matters of state' are discussed)

What is her actual position in the greater scheme of Russian figure skating?

There is no National Training Center, no National Team Coordinator, since there is really no team event apart from the Olympics?
I am asking this because I am only acquainted with the Russian gymnastics system, which does have both NTC and NTC, and all the controversy over the NTC's policies and decisions. FYI, in artistic gymnastics NTC are Mr. and Mrs. Rodionenko who are related to V. Fetisov, a member of government by marriage of their children. In rhythmic it is Mrs. Viner, who also has close personal relations to government.

Khrustalniy is the strongest and most prestigious school in figure skating, hence the best financed to go by results achieved I think.
Tutberidze is Head of Training Staff: http://самбо-70.рф/sport/zapas/Khrystaln/coachs

Of course as any trainer she loves to work with aspiring athletes and hate to see their potential going to waste. And obviously equally hates to waste her time and Sambo-70's resources, so she has to be tough on the athletes and staff entrusted to her.

However, the objective or Russia's Sports Ministry is to have to Russian National Anthem played at as many sports venues worldwide as possible, and the sports budget is huge for successful sports.
The talent pool is still large enough to be very selective and only work with the very best of the best young boys and girls. And unfortunately this means letting go of those that don't make the grade anymore.
Russia's society is still a somewhat old fashioned 'command and obey' society and as far as I have read the personal profiles of the skaters, many come from sporting families, so they know the drill and the way the system works.

No matter how much you personally like or dislike any coach' style and methods, imagine yourself in their position: what would you do differently and how? Trying to be the objective task master is the best one can do in bringing the best out of the many athletes under your tutelage.

About the weight: one can be pretty sure the skaters are subjected to the daily "terror of the scales" and probably some verbal body shaming too. One of the skaters that was interviewed after nationals said that when she would return to the rink after New Year break, there would be a weigh in first. Again, how much you dislike this, maintaining optimum body weight is essential for both short term results and longevity in the sport. Ever seen those ballet academy documentaries, where pre-teen and young teen girls are stripped down to their briefs and have to perform in front of a row of auditors bare chested?

Sensible skaters know what is required of them, comply and shrug off any rude comments. I think with present day social media and mobiles in every child's hand, the culture has changed for the better when it comes to working with children in highest level sports. And Khrustalniy is no Karoliy Ranch either, it is a transparent, very busy and lively multi sports facility.

There IMO remains an underlying problem of trainers' education in matters like proper nutrition and sports psychology when dealing with young athletes that perform at the very edge of human possibility. Are all these people really educated enough or is their mentality like "I've survived all of this when I competed, so why can't/won't you"?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yep, on that level. "I scored 91% and you scored 90% i'm smarter than you lololol".

People above brought examples of teens comparing themselves as a reason to bash Eteri once more.
As for stopping, have you actually tried?

That's all it's about my friend that's all it's about.

What the heck happened to this thread about the great coach and the great announcer? Lol! It's mushroomed into a bash thread.

moriel said:
Mathman said:
Ha ha, I'm skinnier than you? I weigh 40 kilos and you weigh 41?

Yep, on that level. "I scored 91% and you scored 90% i'm smarter than you lololol.

I don't think it's the same at all. It really is better to score 91 on your test than to score 90. If you score 92, that's all the more to be commended.

But is it better in any objective sense to weigh 40 kilos instead of 41? Would it be even better if you weighed 39, pressing on to 38? I don't think it is unreasonable to hope that a coach, parent, trainer or nutritionist might emphasize maintaining a healthy weight for each athlete in their care and to be on the lookout for unhealthy attitudes toward eating. (Not a knock on Eteri Georgievna especially, just as a general focus for children's sports organizations.)

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I don't think it's the same at all. It really is better to score 91 on your test than to score 90. If you score 92, that's all the more to be commended.

But is it better in any objective sense to weigh 40 kilos instead of 41? Would it be even better if you weighed 39, pressing on to 38? I don't think it is unreasonable to hope that a coach, parent, trainer or nutritionist might emphasize maintaining a healthy weight for each athlete in their care and to be on the lookout for unhealthy attitudes toward eating. (Not a knock on Eteri Georgievna especially, just as a general focus for children's sports organizations.)

But society conditions us to believe that lower is automatically better when it comes to weight.

For the first year of recovery, I weighed myself once a week or so, not as a major event but just every so often — and then, years ago, I just quit altogether. Because whatever the number was, it never made me happy. Lower? Not low enough. Didn’t make me feel “good,” just relieved that at least it was lower than last time, but since I knew I didn’t look any different, I tended to chalk minor fluctuations that amounted to a loss as normal variance. Higher? Immediate sense of worthlessness even though I’d stopped coupling my sense of self-worth to the scale.

I know whether or not I’m gaining or losing weight at a significant value (i.e., beyond normal measurement error, variance, etc., which is already a huge range) before the scale. And whatever the scale said made me unhappy. So I just stopped weighing myself. It was amazing how much mental space that one decision freed up and how much happier I was measuring my progress by “miles able to run,” “amount of pounds able to press with legs,” etc.

You can know the whole social construction of body weight is utter cow dung but be unable to reprogramme years of social conditioning. I was getting an echocardiogram in my early twenties at the onset of autoimmune, as I was showing symptoms of heart failure and there was concern that the years with the eating disorder had caused structural damage. As I was checking in for the appointment, my mother saw my basic data, including my weight, and her immediate reaction was that I couldn’t possibly weigh that, as the value just seemed too high when I was at my set point and had worked to build muscle. (Which... was why the value wasn’t especially low.) And she instantly apologized and she was in no way a proponent of the idea that a woman’s value is in slimness (she was also going crazy over the idea that there was damage to my heart), but that was her socially conditioned reaction upon seeing a weight that seemed societally unacceptable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Casual

On the Ice
I am part of one of the most reviled, rabid fanbases in the US of A.
#FlyEaglesFly:biggrin:
But Philadelphia is a great city whether the Birds are their traditional losing selves or whether they win the Super Bowl. It’s just not tied in.:scratch2:

Russia, Canada, US, Japan, France etc etc (sorry if I left someone out I can’t list every country in the world ;)) are great countries regardless of how their figure skaters perform, and figure skaters performing well doesn’t make them greater.

I root for skaters. Go Jason :love: his teammates and anyone associated with him:laugh: and Deniss and Donovan and Koshiro and many others.

I want them all to have long healthy skating lives. In fact, I want that for every skater.

:hap10:

Exactly, it's not tied in.

#FlyEaglesFly :biggrin: Caught the last few minutes tonight. Congrats!

I don't follow football, but I watched last year's Super Bowl and loved them. Gotta root for an underdog! (Especially when the favorite has been cheating.)

As for figure skating, it's an individual sport. I root for skaters from whichever country, as long as they move me and win or lose fairly. (I lose interest if a skater starts getting propped up unfairly.)

But society conditions us to believe that lower is automatically better when it comes to weight....

I wish you good health for the rest of your life.

Here's what I think. Sports cannot conquer all of society's ills. But it is not too much to ask that sports organizations aspire to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

I don't have any facts and figures, but I bet that in general participation in sports helps rather than hurts body image issues, lack of self-confidence, peer pressure, etc., for adolescents. (?)

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
The problem I had with the 3A's recent comments about weight was that they reported they could eat what they wanted during their break but would be weighed when they came back from New Year's. They should instead be given healthy strategies and encouragement about what to eat and how to handle seasonal treats. Because this message is essentially saying to teen girls, "I don't care what or how much you eat during the holiday, just be sure to find a way to keep the weight off for when you come back." Its setting them up for unhealthy purge or starvation behaviors.

I also don't understand this repeated idea that heavy people automatically are risking injuries. Female basketball players can weigh 200 lbs (90 kg) and jump repeatedly for their sport without injury. I can understand that a sudden dramatic shift in weight (15 lbs over 2 weeks) could risk injury due to the body not having time to adjust to the new load. But overall, heavier people can jump without risking injury if they have the appropriate training and strength.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem I had with the 3A's recent comments about weight was that they reported they could eat what they wanted during their break but would be weighed when they came back from New Year's. They should instead be given healthy strategies and encouragement about what to eat and how to handle seasonal treats. Because this message is essentially saying to teen girls, "I don't care what or how much you eat during the holiday, just be sure to find a way to keep the weight off for when you come back." Its setting them up for unhealthy purge or starvation behaviors.

Do we really know that the coaches don’t offer their students advice and make recommendations on how to maintain a healthy diet during their break? I suspect they get lots of information on nutrition for not only weekends away but year round too. I actually find it hard to believe that any athlete at the top of their field wouldn't. Seems like the girls get so much attention from the coaching staff both on and off ice. It just seems unlikely to assume that the coaches wouldn’t do that. Now how the students interpret that advice might be another issue.

FWIW: I noticed a lot of people running on the trail the other day (right after Christmas). Probably working off that Christmas Junk food. It’s fairly common among people I know to indulge in sugary and other tasty treats during the break and then try to work it off. I was alone for my run this morning :)

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You are from Austria. Not from Canada, US... I'm Hungarian I'm in same situation as you.:laugh:

But Hungary has had World Champions in the past - Kristina Regoezcy & Andras Sallay in Dance, 1980 Worlds gold, Olympic silver (controversially) trained by Britain's doyenne of Dance Betty Callaway who also coached Torvill & Dean.
Diana Poth, who Chris Howarth of Eurosport called "My Diana" and swooned for, who was a very artistic skater in early 2000s. Julia Sebestyen, who had great jumps, in the same era. Nora Hoffman & Gyorgy Elek top 10 in Europeans in Dance, and Gyorgy is now a top Official. These are just skaters that I remember, there must be loads more from earlier times. Be proud! And recognize your own country's skaters! It doesn't have to be ALL about the big 4.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
But Hungary has had World Champions in the past - Kristina Regoezcy & Andras Sallay in Dance, 1980 Worlds gold, Olympic silver (controversially) trained by Britain's doyenne of Dance Betty Callaway who also coached Torvill & Dean.
Diana Poth, who Chris Howarth of Eurosport called "My Diana" and swooned for, who was a very artistic skater in early 2000s. Julia Sebestyen, who had great jumps, in the same era. Nora Hoffman & Gyorgy Elek top 10 in Europeans in Dance, and Gyorgy is now a top Official. These are just skaters that I remember, there must be loads more from earlier times. Be proud! And recognize your own country's skaters! It doesn't have to be ALL about the big 4.

Do you think I dont know my old and recent skaters? Plus Krisztina Czakó ;) I watched the fs since my childhood. But compared to Russia or other great skating nations we are small.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Do we really know that the coaches don’t offer their students advice and make recommendations on how to maintain a healthy diet during their break? I suspect they get lots of information on nutrition for not only weekends away but year round too. I actually find it hard to believe that any athlete at the top of their field wouldn't. Seems like the girls get so much attention from the coaching staff both on and off ice. It just seems unlikely to assume that the coaches wouldn’t do that. Now how the students interpret that advice might be another issue.

FWIW: I noticed a lot of people running on the trail the other day (right after Christmas). Probably working off that Christmas Junk food. It’s fairly common among people I know to indulge in sugary and other tasty treats during the break and then try to work it off. I was alone for my run this morning :)

There might have been something lost in translation. But on the talk show the girls did shortly after winning nationals, they were asked something like do they have any foods they aren't allowed to eat. And their response was no but that they would be weighed when they get back. I agree that no foods should be off limits but the focus should be on moderation and not emphasizing the weighing after break.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States

Because I was at my spin class and then played racquetball with my pal for 2 hours. Those holiday fats dont come off easy. :(

I don't know. Dave Lease isn't Satan, just a guy who likes to chat about figure skating. ;)

I remember Jenny Kirk was a host of TSL, well she was and is a marvelous SKATER.

Jenny Kirk's career is actually quite relevant to this discussion. She suffered silently from anorexia for years before abruptly quitting figure skating cold turkey just before the 2006 Olympics, where she had a pretty good chance of making the team. She never regretted the decision, which she credits with saving her life.

In this interview from 2007 she estimates that, based on her touring with all the top skaters, about 85% of elite skaters suffer from eating disorders.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lesleyann-coker/jenny-kirk-on-figure-skat_b_430032.html

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jenny Kirk's career is actually quite relevant to this discussion. She suffered silently from anorexia for years before abruptly quitting figure skating cold turkey just before the 2006 Olympics, where she had a pretty good chance of making the team. She never regretted the decision, which she credits with saving her life.

In this interview from 2007 she estimates that, based on her touring with all the top skaters, about 85% of elite skaters suffer from eating disorders.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lesleyann-coker/jenny-kirk-on-figure-skat_b_430032.html

Yes, I remember that very clearly. She had such a great potential! I personally was heartbroken. :( I was younger back then and clearly emotionally invested, I had a bit of crush on her. :eek:: She was so great in juniors!

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't know. Dave Lease isn't Satan, just a guy who likes to chat about figure skating. ;)

Thank you for that info. I never would have imagined Jenny Kirk had an eating disorder or that she thinks 85% of figure skaters have an eating disorder. This proves it's not just an Eteri issue.

sheetz

Record Breaker

That's not actually what she said. She said 85% had some type of disordered eating, which is not the same as having an eating disorder.

According to this blog from National Eating Disorder Association
https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/blog/eating-disorders-versus-disordered-eating
Normalized, non-disordered eating is when one mindfully consumes food when hungry and is able to stop when full. Additionally, they incorporate variety into their diet. Now, according to this definition, many people I know, who consider themselves to have a terrific relationship with food, may be classified as “disordered eaters”: they eat when they’re bored, have the same thing for lunch each day, cut out a main food group, etc. Societal standards and pressures, as well as preoccupations with weight loss and exercise, may lead individuals to alter/manipulate their food intake. For many people, this “works.” It does not interfere with their lives; they are able to find food they’re comfortable with at any restaurant, and there is no desire to change.