Brian Orser interview | Golden Skate

Brian Orser interview

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Brian’s calm, cool, collected approach to almost everything and everybody in this interview, at least the parts that I’ve heard.

And his description of the judges at the Olys watching Yuzu and Javi do their skating/stroking exercises at practice, while ignoring the skaters doing jumps, is priceless.:yes:

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
After Evgenia's SP today, this was a very sobering watch.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After Evgenia's SP today, this was a very sobering watch.

I found it to be very encouraging and calming after the SP, although maybe I shouldn’t say that because I didn’t entire interview yet?

lavoix

Match Penalty
I found it to be very encouraging and calming after the SP, although maybe I shouldn’t say that because I didn’t entire interview yet?

I think Brian should make Evghenia a champion again before he speaks about their relationship. Evghenia isn't even Russia's number 4 or even 5 top skater.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was an interesting interview, I liked it a lot :) I enjoyed hearing about Jun and his career so far, all about how Yuzu managed to get back into form for the Olympics and about Zhenya and Jason.

It's cool hearing about the coaching process!

Fluture

Record Breaker
I really liked this interview. I especially enjoyed the insight on Jun-Hwan-Cha and the process it took to get him to the Olympics. Very interesting.

And of course I also was immensely interested in what he had to say about Evgenia. And I‘m a bit relieved now because it seems they‘re really trying their best to get to know her and her old training process and understand how they need to work with her. I know some pretty intense discussions have been going on about this and we‘re all worried when we see her mess up at competitions but Brian seemed calm here and supportive. No one knows whether it will work out, whether she‘ll ever be on top again but at least we know that she‘s getting some new experience and Brian is actually too and that they‘re just trying to learn from each other. I think this is great and hope that after some time they find common ground and this moment of a clean competition happens for Zhenya. However, at least I know that he won‘t give up on her and that they‘ll continue to work. Let‘s see where the journey will take them.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I think Brian should make Evghenia a champion again before he speaks about their relationship. Evghenia isn't even Russia's number 4 or even 5 top skater.

This seems like a pretty random speaking restriction? Why? I don't get it.

noraaa

Rinkside

This is silly. Coaches can talk about whatever they want, and in this case, Evgenia's coaching situation is of great popular interest. No need to be dismissive because she isn't winning gold medals right now. I like to hear from coaches about their progress with skaters. Raf does a lot of interviews and recently spoke about training Marin and Eunsoo, and it was a very interesting read.

Good job to Jackie for this interview, it was enjoyable.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Interesting that he mentioned taking a few hits because startup with Evgenia took more of his time than he expected. I wouldn't be surprised if Gogolev moving to Lee Barkell was primarily motivated by this.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^That's what I immediately thought of when I read this interview. That Gogolev's move was due to him spending more time than expected with Med.

kimi492

Final Flight
Ummm, you're being pretty silly, it's not like his outing with Evghenia is worthy of any praise.

I don’t know if it’s because English may not be your first language, or you’re being purposefully obtuse, but you’re making very little sense with your comments. In what world is Brian not allowed to talk about his student? Every high profile coach does interviews.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Either a troll or a Zhenya hater in lavoix. Or both :laugh: but more importantly, Brian doesn’t own anything to anyone. And so far his work with Zhenya is slowly working, she’s become a better skater and as she said herself, a better person.
The priority should be her health, tho. Her back is in bad shape, and she obviously needs time to heal it. The results will come with time, like it did for Yuzu, Javi, Yuna, etc.