Grand Prix Final - Men's Free Skate - LIVE!!!!!!!!!! | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final - Men's Free Skate - LIVE!!!!!!!!!!

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Evgeny Plushenko is on a roll and looks to win the GPF but will canadians Jeffrey Buttle and Emanuel Sandhu be able to stop him??? All that and more, as the Men's Free Skate begins soon.

Here are the standings after the Short program:

1. Evgeny Plushenko (RUS)
2. Jeffrey Buttle (CAN)
3. Emanuel Sandhu (CAN)
4. Brian Joubert (FRA)
5. Chengjiang Li (CHN)
6. Ryan Jahnke (USA)

The first skater up is: Ryan Jahnke (USA) who is in 6th with a total of 61.40 points

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Ryan Jahnke (USA)

Techncial Elements = 47.26
Program Componants = 63.40
Free Skate Total = 110.66

Overall Total = 172.06

Up next: Chengjiang Li (CHN) who is in 5th with a total of 65.91 points

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Chengjiang Li (CHN)

Technical Elements = 69.76
Program Componants = 65.40
Free Skate Total = 135.16

Overall Total = 201.07

Currently 1st

Up next: Brian Joubert (FRA) who is in 4th with a total of 67.30 points

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert (FRA)

Technical Elements = 56.14
Program Componants = 71.20
Free Skate Total = 126.34 (1.00 deduction)

Overall Total = 193.64

Currently 2nd

1. Chengjiang Li (CHN)
2. Brian Joubert (FRA)
3. Ryan Jahnke (USA)

Up next: Emanuel Sandhu (CAN) who is in 3rd with a total of 75.60 points

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Emanuel Sandhu (CAN)

Technical Elements = 52.90
Program Componants = 69.40
Free Skate Total = 120.30 (2.00 deduction)

Overall Total = 195.90

Currently 2nd

1. Chengjiang Li (CHN)
2. Emanuel Sandhu (CAN)
3. Brian Joubert (FRA)

Up next: Jeffrey Buttle (CAN) who is in 2nd with a total of 76.45 points

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Jeffrey Buttle (CAN)

Technical Elements = 65.10
Program Componants = 76.10
Free Skate Total = 140.20 (1.00 deduction)

Overall Total = 216.65

Currently 1st

1. Jeffrey Buttle (CAN)
2. Chengjiang Li (CHN)
3. Emanuel Sandhu (CAN)

The final skater is: Evgeny Plushenko (RUS) who is in 1st with a total of 84.35 points

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Evgeny Plushenko (RUS)

Technical Elements = 84.10
Program Componants = 83.30
Free Skate Total = 167.40

Overall Total = 251.75

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st place

1. Evgeny Plushenko (RUS)
2. Jeffrey Buttle (CAN)
3. Chengjiang Li (CHN)

Congratulations to all the medalists :)

missflick

On the Ice
1 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS 251.75 1 1
2 Jeffrey BUTTLE CAN 216.65 2 2
3 Chengjiang LI CHN 201.07 5 3
4 Emanuel SANDHU CAN 195.90 3 5
5 Brian JOUBERT FRA 193.64 4 4
6 Ryan JAHNKE USA 172.06 6 6

Yeah Jeffrey!

Last edited:
Brian has a lot of work ahead of him. There has to be a reason for the downfall this year. I'm not a fan but I actually feel sorry for him. He's got Euros to redeem himself.

Nice for the Canadian boys, and Chengjan coming back to life!

No surprise about Evgeni and Ryan.

Joe

Hikaru

Final Flight
Whoa, those are some major scores, Evgeny's (I'm looking forward to see the listing of the programs to see what each skater did). I knew Jeffrey was for a mdela hunt, and Chengjan Li, good for him to medal at home, he must be very happy!

Mehdi

On the Ice
Brian has a lot of work ahead of him. There has to be a reason for the downfall this year. I'm not a fan but I actually feel sorry for him.
There are big rumors of conflicts between his team and the French federation. Never easy to focus on your skating when you have this kind of worries.

In French nationals he had a mess in the short again, and produced a decent free program to win the title. (stepping out of the lutz and not doing the quad in combination, but hitting everything else)

Last edited:

doug_log

On the Ice
didn't take notes, so don't know what each skater did EXACTLY...but here's a rough estimate (see ladies page for ladies details...remembered those better)...and, excuse spelling.

Janhke: HONESTLY don't remember.

Joubert: landed his quad but fell on something...can't remember. just looked lifeless. changed the costume. he needs to change it again. might have also double something...sorry, really not sure.

Sandhu: Fell, popped, doubled...just a mess, technically. landed his quad, but might have doublefooted the combination. fell on an axel, maybe on both (SORRY! the women's specs are more complete)

Li: CLEAN...two quads (4t-2t and a 4 sal)...3A-2T...had flip, lutz, too. really, technically perfect (at least the jumps). not a strained edge or anything. boring choreography but really used the crowd to his advantage. even started clapping to get them to clap too. great expression when he finished

Buttle: fell on a 3A, but everything else was good. no quad, of course. good expression, blah blah blah.

Plushenko: 4T-3T-2L...perfect...straight, big, FLOW! good to see. 3Lutz-3toe combo and 3A-2T combo. all other 3s were perfect. great energy, but not too much. really had a great skate.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Dangit I missed Joubert's skate accidently even though I was able to get a glimpse of his new costume - a vast improvement from the brown number he had before. Well hopefully he'll do better at worlds. I got to see Sandhu's performance. It was rather sad to see him continually make mistakes with all those falls and stumbles:( He had nice lines though. Buttle did a good job despite the fall on the 3 axel and a slight mishap on one of his triple jumps. He had difficult footwork and spins and really nice lines. I liked his interpretation of the music even though I wasn't into the music itself! :) Plushenko did an excellent job with the exception of a lean on his 3 axel and slow camel spin, clearly the best out of all the men. Lots of energy as doug pointed out. The more I see this program - twice now- the more I like it.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think Li should have gotten overall higher score than Buttle for the program. At the very least the "skating skills" score should have been higher. IMO just another example of judges basing the compenent score on previous performances and reputation rather than what they actually see.

ceg15

On the Ice
I really wish I hadn't missed it on TV. Did anyone tape it and could send me a copy?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I don't think you accidentally missed it....

Kuchana said:
Dangit I missed Joubert's skate accidently even though I was able to get a glimpse of his new costume - a vast improvement from the brown number he had before. Well hopefully he'll do better at worlds. I got to see Sandhu's performance. It was rather sad to see him continually make mistakes with all those falls and stumbles:( He had nice lines though. Buttle did a good job despite the fall on the 3 axel and a slight mishap on one of his triple jumps. He had difficult footwork and spins and really nice lines. I liked his interpretation of the music even though I wasn't into the music itself! :) Plushenko did an excellent job with the exception of a lean on his 3 axel and slow camel spin, clearly the best out of all the men. Lots of energy as doug pointed out. The more I see this program - twice now- the more I like it.
I ran my recording back and forth a few times before fully understanding that they never showed his skate, at least not in my neck of the woods. Very strange....we saw "next on the ice, BRIAN JOUBERT!!! (shot of new costume)" - then a jelly / jam commercial - then Brian in the Kiss n Cry. Strange - I've never seen that particular type of coverage before!

At least he changed that horrid (IMO) costume. From the results, it seems the actual program still needs some work. I really liked his skating last year so much better than this year. He's still young, so I hope he figures things out and gets it together.

DG

bleuchick

On the Ice
ceg15 said:
I really wish I hadn't missed it on TV. Did anyone tape it and could send me a copy?

CBC - this coming weekend. I think Jan 1 and Jan 2 or Jan 8th(next sat).

Gotta check your local tv listing.

Ptichka said:
I think Li should have gotten overall higher score than Buttle for the program. At the very least the "skating skills" score should have been higher. IMO just another example of judges basing the compenent score on previous performances and reputation rather than what they actually see.

You have a point, but it's all that level nonsense. What's difficult for one is not so difficult for another.

Joe