Kostner WD for Europeans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kostner WD for Europeans

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Caro has been dearly missed on the circuit this season. Since her comeback, she has been enriching the field, skating on her own terms, pushing herself and presenting a variety of genres of programs to show new dimensions in her skating. Wish her fully recovered for Worlds, where she will debut in front of the Japanese crowd (ironically, she would have debuted at Japan Open earlier this year), who adore her :).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner has withdrawn from the European Championships. Will she make it back for Worlds? She was the only one I saw as being able to stop a Russian sweep at Europeans. Anyone else who can stop it now?

I suppose there is the the Swiss lady and that other lady Lindfors? I might be mixed up. I mean Russia won't have any of its top 3 or 4 skaters from Nationals. They will have to go down to say like Zagitova.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Caro has been dearly missed on the circuit this season. Since her comeback, she has been enriching the field, skating on her own terms, pushing herself and presenting a variety of genres of programs to show new dimensions in her skating. Wish her fully recovered for Worlds, where she will debut in front of the Japanese crowd (ironically, she would have debuted at Japan Open earlier this year), who adore her :).

I wouldn't say Caro has been dearly missed; maybe by her extreme fans but she has had a long and amazing run. Maybe it is time to move on and do shows and other things. I know people love her but she has skated a long time it seems. I would be thrilled to see her do shows but I can survive without her. Somehow she will find a way to stay in the top ten though if not top 5 in part because Canada doesn't have Kaetlyn and even if Gabby skates it will be a watered down Gabby. So let's look if 3 Japanese, 3 Russian ladies can beat her and add 2 Americans, a Korean and ET or the Swiss lady it is possible to knock her out of the top ten.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I suppose there is the the Swiss lady and that other lady Lindfors? I might be mixed up. I mean Russia won't have any of its top 3 or 4 skaters from Nationals. They will have to go down to say like Zagitova.

Actually, Stanislava was 4th :)
Alina was 5th, and Sofia 6th

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kind of amazing huh how the 4th best Russian will represent them at worlds and euros lol. I wonder if Stanislava will be dropped didn't she bomb at worlds last year?

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I wouldn't say Caro has been dearly missed; maybe by her extreme fans but she has had a long and amazing run. Maybe it is time to move on and do shows and other things. I know people love her but she has skated a long time it seems. I would be thrilled to see her do shows but I can survive without her. Somehow she will find a way to stay in the top ten though if not top 5 in part because Canada doesn't have Kaetlyn and even if Gabby skates it will be a watered down Gabby. So let's look if 3 Japanese, 3 Russian ladies can beat her and add 2 Americans, a Korean and ET or the Swiss lady it is possible to knock her out of the top ten.

She is one of the more exciting skaters even if she does not win win win win all the time. I will miss her.

I would not count on this Russian trio to surely beat her. Two of them are wildly inconsistent.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
She is one of the more exciting skaters even if she does not win win win win all the time. I will miss her.

Former skaters/commentators have said that when Caro skates, it doesn't feel like it's a competition. With Caro, you wouldn't see unbalanced programs just to take advantage of a bonus, random leg grabs for points, or cheated jumps, which have unfortunately become too common in this day and age. Her pure skating skills and sound technique have helped her stay at the top as an elite skater for almost two decades, a true role model. She has the ability to give performances that leave the audience speechless and her love of the sport is admirable.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I would not count on this Russian trio to surely beat her. Two of them are wildly inconsistent.

Oh for sure and inconsistent to the point that the Swiss or Lindfors could beat them. Russia is not the same say 10 to 11 months ago when they had Alina and Evgenia solid - now there are cracks all over the place andteh solid third is gone = well Liza might be the soid one but not a gold threat.

charlotte14

Medalist
Oh for sure and inconsistent to the point that the Swiss or Lindfors could beat them. Russia is not the same say 10 to 11 months ago when they had Alina and Evgenia solid - now there are cracks all over the place andteh solid third is gone = well Liza might be the soid one but not a gold threat.
Without Carolina, I think Russian sweep in Europe is inevitable. European for the Russian ladies might be less stressful than Nationals.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I think Sofia is a solid third to Alina's first and Liza's second. Sonya made the GPF and placed 5th with two strong performances. In all her GP events + RusNats, Sofia made on error - a turn out of her 2T on her last jumping pass in the free skate. That's pretty solid to me.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Did she win Nationals? Will they send her to Worlds if she skips Nats and Euro's?

Carolina missed Nationals because she was still recovering from her original injury (the hip).

As for your second question, I don't think there's any doubt that they will send her to Worlds.

The top 2 in Nationals (Alessia Tornaghi and Lucrezia Beccari) are too young to compete in the Senior Majors this season (in the case of Tornaghi, it is by only a few days). The girls in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] (Lara Naki Gutmann) and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] (Chenny Paolucci) are old enough, but they are no-where near the level that Carolina is still at.

The injuries to Carolina Kostner and to Elisabetta Lecardi have put the FISG in a really difficult position. Because, the Fed knows that they are now pretty much guaranteed to lose their second slot in Europeans. Gutmann and Paolucci are only in their first season at Senior level, and they have never competed in a Major Championship before, not even at Junior level.

The curve ball is that the Junior Italian Champion, Marina Piredda, is actually old enough for Seniors (she is 2 months older than Gutmann). Her scores are generally similar to Gutmann's, but are consistently higher than Paolucci's (whose score at Nationals was considerably higher than she had ever scored before). So, she is also a candidate to be sent to Europeans. But, like Gutmann and Paolucci, she has never competed at a Major Championship before and, unless she gets a Senior B fitted in between now and Euros, it would have the added pressure of being her first ever Senior level competition.

EDIT: Just updating this to say that I asked over in The Lutz Corner about whether Piredda would be eligible for Europeans. And karne very kindly replied explaining that she wouldn't as, although she has already attained all the minimum TES's in Junior competitions, the minimum TES's need to be set in Senior competitions to count towards eligibility for the Senior Majors.​

As for the skaters that have competed at Majors before, Lucrezia Gennaro (currently in second full season in Seniors, but has only competed in Majors at Junior level), Roberta Rodeghiero and Micol Cristini are not where the Fed needs them to be so as to retain the slots.

The FISG won't want to lose the second slot at Worlds as well. So, if Carolina is fit and healthy by then, she'll be going to Saitama, no question about it.

CaroLiza_fan

Casual

On the Ice
Loena HENDRICKX, Alexia PAGANINI, Viveca LINDFORS, Mae Berenice MEITE and Laurine LECAVELIER are all maybes

It might be Belgium's time to shine.

I'll be routing for Loena! She's fabulous, very strong, and so musical. Her programs are such a pleasure to watch.

DenissVFan

Medalist
IMO, Loena and Viveca are the main non-Russian contenders at the moment. I'd say top 5 will be 3 Russians + them and top 3 will be 2 Russians + Loena. Viveca is inconsistent but she can score relatively high.