Anna Shcherbakova: 'The fact that we are girls...' | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anna Shcherbakova: 'The fact that we are girls...'

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Very nice article but the main issue ofr me is not a guy and girl thing. IT is wehter these skaters can keep doing quads as tehy mature and grow through puberty. WE see/saw problems with evgenia, Yulia, now Alina, Adelina and lest we forget Pogo, Radinova,

Azikin

Medalist
Very nice article but the main issue ofr me is not a guy and girl thing. IT is wehter these skaters can keep doing quads as tehy mature and grow through puberty.
Why are quads an issue? Anna can be the best even without quads..

Watch

Final Flight
Very nice article but the main issue ofr me is not a guy and girl thing. IT is wehter these skaters can keep doing quads as tehy mature and grow through puberty.

Well, if no one tries we'll never know. This is how sport develops.

Don't get me wrong, I share the general worry for these young skaters' health, but in the end of the day this is how progress is made. Someone has to go for it and others will follow, as they already do. I for one am excited to see if the quad revolution actually happens in Ladies or if it stays a niche phenomenon relegated to a few Juniors.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Anna's accomplishments are tremendous and the hard work and pain she endured to attain quads is amazing. Girls can jump and there has never been a doubt in my mind that a girl can jump just as well then a man in terms of technique. Biologically, yes men have the advantage (on average) once they hit their puberty and develop into adults. I just hope that the number of revolutions does not overshadow technique. There is a very big difference between Boyang's 4Lz at Chinese Nationals vs Anna's 4Lz at Russian Nationals. The difference in score they received was a mere decimal point. Lets not try to make this about Men vs Women. Good technique can be attained by either gender.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
What's your take on girls and quads?

I won't repeat anything I've said before about my take on girls and quads, but I will say that that is one seriously deep edge that Anna is doing in that article picture. Say what about these girls being nothing more than good jumpers?

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, if no one tries we'll never know. This is how sport develops.

Don't get me wrong, I share the general worry for these young skaters' health, but in the end of the day this is how progress is made. Someone has to go for it and others will follow, as they already do. I for one am excited to see if the quad revolution actually happens in Ladies or if it stays a niche phenomenon relegated to a few Juniors.

Agree, if no one attempts to advance the sport technically then it will stagnate. I don't necessarily think the health factor is as big and scary as some people make it out to be and probably the last person a potential injury would intimidate is Anna, she broke her leg doing a triple last year and broke her arm the year before (not sure how that happened) and this year she was doing quads in competition.

Why are quads an issue? Anna can be the best even without quads..

Agree, Anna has the on-ice presence where she can be competitive without quads in the current climate.