Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: US Coaches restricted by SafeSport

avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    … I've done a search on the USFS events website, and found no record of any event, seminar or otherwise, in Alabama in December 2018. Possibly the records are incomplete, but possibly it was scraped in light of the allegations and investigation.
    I do not know what you mean by "USFS events website." (The events page on the USFS site is for competition listings, AFAIK?)

In any case, USFS did not post what I saw/see about the event and from the event.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.usfsa.org/events?id=84015

Most events are competitions, but there are also less popular events that are showcases, after school club meetings, festivals, and so forth. Don't know if training camps or seminars are traditionally added into the database.

The Road to Gold 2018 event page says that the event was sanctioned by the USFSA, although I am doubtful they knew about John's status when they held the event.
    http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=635

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.usfsa.org/events?id=84015

Most events are competitions, but there are also less popular events that are showcases, after school club meetings, festivals, and so forth. Don't know if training camps or seminars are traditionally added into the database.

The Road to Gold 2018 event page says that the event was sanctioned by the USFSA, although I am doubtful they knew about John's status when they held the event.
    http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=635
    My mom always says what is fair is when you get something or what you want. I appreciate the desire and movement towards a safer sport environment free of abuse, bullying and any form of harassment. USA and Canada have a criminal justice system based on innocense until proven guilty. Their bail systems also consider safety issues to the public while maintaining innocense. It is a fine balance of the objectives of a safe environment and not wrongfully destrying the lives of those Accused. Of course, there is a fine line as there is the truth and then there is what can be proven which may not necessarily be the truth. Keeping skaters/kids safe is very important. I fully agree.

I recently read a story which involved two young police officers who went to Cuba who have a very different system than most in respect the presumption of innocense really isn't seen and the accused or investigated can be detained een without charges. The two officers went to a 4 star Cuban resort. Another Canadian woman was there and depending on who you believe certainly hooked up with the two men. She had sex with one and it t urns out she is under 18 years old 17. Age may not be an issue in Cuba but consent is. She claims she was sexually assaulted by one of the men. She claims she was drugged and dragged over 500m through the resort - pool, lobby, bar, elevator to the hotel room and then was left in tears and fleeing the hotel room. The officers claim they weren't interested but didn't exactly disuade the young woman from following them to their room where she had consensual sex with one and tried to have sex with the other who repeatedly refused. The prosecutors did not provide any of the many CCTV footage which should establish their case or disprove it as the complainant alleged she was dragged and struggled with the accused. There is one third party witness who says there is nothing he saw that suggested any resistance or dragging and when she left she did not seem drunk or upset or crying as the complainant alleged. There was NO reasonable likelihood of conviction with such evidence but the Cubans ran the trial and after an acquittal by five female judges tried to appeal it. The officers languished in prison for I believe 8 months and then were forced to foot the bill while waiting for an appeal which was shot down. The issue of age is is not an issue in Cuba (17 at least) and it seems clear the resort was supplying with her drinks so she appeared older. But those men's lives, finances and it appears careers may be ruined. despite clear evidence it didnt' happen or that th ecomplainant could not be relied upon the officers have huge legal, accommodation bills and may be out of work now. So the point is you have to be careful about balancing safety and the rights of the accused.

0 Not allowed!
    … The Road to Gold 2018 event page says that the event was sanctioned by the USFSA, although I am doubtful they knew about John's status when they held the event. ...
    From the brief USFS statement, there is no indication that SafeSport or USFS has/had a requirement that the club be notified re Coughlin (whether before or after the event).
    (If[?] there in fact were such a requirement, seems to me that the onus should have been on USFS and not on the individual. Just MO.)

All I know about the Coughlin matter is the little that is in the USFS statement and in the Brennan article.
    So far, I have no reason to believe that Coughlin is not complying with whatever the interim SafeSport restriction is.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    At this point, it is less of "what is legal exactly, technically," and more of:

Do parents want to know if their children's' teacher or coach is currently under investigation by SafeSpot, an organization that, in theory, protects children from abuse and bullying? I've seen the social media photos, and it looks like Road to Gold 2018 seminar had many underage participants, I'll estimate age 5-14, and there were time slots for private lessons. Do you think their parents would've like to have knowledge of John Coughlin's status?

"Hey, uh, just so you know, one of the coaches, John, he's in a bit of trouble ... no, no, we don't know exactly what sort ... no, it's not necessarily like that gymnastics man ... it's probably all right, we know John, he's a nice guy, and we don't know who the Jane or John Doe is. Probably nothing, but we're open and transparent about that sort of thing. Anyway, the fee for the training camp is $x, credit card or check please."

Probably only the last sentence was said.

0 Not allowed!
    At this point, it is less of "what is legal exactly, technically," ...
    Not for me, although apparently for you.

Given that we do not know anything specific about what precipitated the SafeSport investigation, I am refraining from making a judgment of what is or is not called for at this point.

All I know is that John is required to comply with a restriction that has not been disclosed to the public. And again, I have no reason to believe that he is not complying.

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    I'm going to make a judgement, and say that parents should be informed of their coach's new quasi-legal status as a person under investigation for abuse, especially if their child is taking private lessons with that coach.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4