US Coaches restricted by SafeSport | Page 5 | Golden Skate

US Coaches restricted by SafeSport

heyang

Record Breaker
“Safer sport”, cost the life of a young athlete! RIP John. They pre judge you. Gossip and pre judging also destroys lives.

Sorry, I disagree. Given the impact of sexual abuse on victims, it would be irresponsible to not investigate allegations. If they prove unwarranted, the person accused will be cleared , although I admit it would impact his/her career somewhat. If TPTB did not investigate and accusations were true, it would be destroy many more lives - just look at Nassar's victims and how MSU and USGA ignored the accusations for years.

andromache

Record Breaker
If someone is under investigation for child abuse of any kind, that definitely needs to be reported on by the media. It is the responsibility of us, the public, not to just assume that someone is a pedophile or something.

We have no idea what he was accused of. It could be serious sexual abuse or something less traumatic. We don’t know.

In any case, at least one victim stepped forward in order for the SafeSport investigation to happen at all. Remember that victims could potentially be reading what you write. The skating world is a small one.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
From Dave Lease. You may attach whatever credibility you like to this tweet. Tweet thread with info that because of funding issues, Safesport only pursues cases of sexual misconduct

"SafeSport is investigating this because it is sexual in nature. Otherwise, the USFS would have jurisdiction."
https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1086480718409142273

Yeah, the SafeSport website does say that, although I'm not sure as of when. Did they change it? I thought I had looked, but maybe I missed something. They also really hide it well that they only pursue sexual misconduct, and have lots of mention of preventing things like bullying and such.

USFS would be the ones handling things if the allegations were not of a sexual nature. So wonderful of the website and the media to be so clear about that! :sarcasm: I shall now go remove my foot from my mouth.

Anyway, it still seems odd that no law enforcement has been mentioned, and there is still the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" in the USA.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does SafeSport investigate allegations of sexual misconduct that involve individuals of any age?

If so, then allegations of sexual misconduct investigated by SafeSport cannot be assumed to be allegations of child abuse.

Or does SafeSport investigate allegations of sexual misconduct only if they involve minors???

Any allegation of sexual misconduct is something serious.

My point (in response to someone else's post in the thread) is that the existence of a SafeSport investigation does not inherently mean that child abuse is the allegation.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
ice coverage, I think we thought of that at the same time.

There has been zero mention of minors. I did not know he was still competing, I got the mistaken impression from this thread and his age that he was only coaching. I shall now remove my other foot from my mouth.

The list of SafeSport final actions for figure skating all say either "sexual misconduct" or "criminal disposition- involving a minor", which leads me to believe that it is for all allegations. While some people are shouting from the hilltops about child sexual abuse, from the information available now, there's nothing to say that the allegation couldn't very well have been something like peeping on fellow competitors in their dressing rooms.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We have no idea what he was accused of. It could be serious sexual abuse or something less traumatic. We don’t know.

We’ll know soon enough once the investigation is complete. That’s how safe sport works. They probably won’t comment until the investigation comes to a full conclusion and will most likley give a little respect to the sensitivity of this latest development. As should we IMO.

We have no idea and I see little to gain from riding full sail in either direction based on logical guessing and piecing together of what little information we have. Today is certainly a sad day though and I think respecting the sensitive nature of what has transpired is important. Who knows what impact all this online gossiping has played or still may play considering we know nothing of the alleged victim and their state of mind. Probably never will either :pray:

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
SafeSport is definitely for any kind of abuse against a minor. The gymnast, Ashton Locklear, reported to SafeSport that her coach physically and verbally abused her. The abuse she reported was not sexual in nature.

louisa05

Final Flight
Already said this elsewhere, but it is worth saying here as well...

Child sexual abuse is a crime. If that was the accusation against John Coughlin, it should have been immediately reported to local law enforcement and child protection agencies for investigation and potential prosecution. The fact that no such report was made, no arrest was made and it appears by all accounts that neither law enforcement or child protection agencies are involved, either the allegations are not of any kind of criminal abuse or Safe Sport is an unethical and derelict agency that needs to be shut down immediately.

andromache

Record Breaker
Are we certain that no report was made to law enforcement and/or child protective services? AFAIK, we would have no idea if such an investigation was happening - neither law enforcement or CPS is required to disclose who or what they are investigating.

saphire

On the Ice
Already said this elsewhere, but it is worth saying here as well...

Child sexual abuse is a crime. If that was the accusation against John Coughlin, it should have been immediately reported to local law enforcement and child protection agencies for investigation and potential prosecution. The fact that no such report was made, no arrest was made and it appears by all accounts that neither law enforcement or child protection agencies are involved, either the allegations are not of any kind of criminal abuse or Safe Sport is an unethical and derelict agency that needs to be shut down immediately.

I guess that is what confuses me when people say it was child abuse. In my profession, I am required by law to report any suspected abuse to child protective services and I thought that would also be the case with investigators at Safe Sport

tothepointe

On the Ice
My guess (based on nothing, fwiw) is no. No potential exoneration for John or justice for his victims.

My instinct is that if he's innocent we will hear about it though it would open up Safesport/USFS to a lawsuit. Not sure if we will hear anything if he is actually guilty. Will they even continue with an investigation is more the questions since in a criminal situation they won't prosecute you after death.

louisa05

Final Flight
Are we certain that no report was made to law enforcement and/or child protective services? AFAIK, we would have no idea if such an investigation was happening - neither law enforcement or CPS is required to disclose who or what they are investigating.

CPS investigations would not be commented on. If it had been turned over to local law enforcement--and allegations of sexual abuse are turned over immediately by CPS--then reporters like Brennan likely could have found out. If there was any evidence of a crime, he likely would have been arrested. A teacher in a city near me was arrested the day allegations were made recently. A teacher I worked with was arrested within hours of allegations being reported to the school.

andromache

Record Breaker
I guess that is what confuses me when people say it was child abuse. In my profession, I am required by law to report any suspected abuse to child protective services and I thought that would also be the case with investigators at Safe Sport

One would think. I don’t really know much about SafeSport, but came across this article: https://deadspin.com/safesport-the-usocs-attempt-to-stop-child-abuse-is-se-1826279217

SafeSport seems like it might only do the bare minimum. And not involve outside authorities.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I wonder if it would make sense, especially at this point, to have a separate thread just to discuss how Safe Sport operates and what they do.

I am heartbroken that this situation took this turn, and as I posted in the thread about John's death, I'm heartbroken for his loved ones.

That being said, I agree that it's the responsibility of USOC and USFS to have some way of informing people when there are allegations that are under investigation (even if it's just a website that coaches and rink/gym owners are expected to check regularly). It's on us, the public, to both take those allegations seriously AND refrain from gossip and bullying. I really hope that these events don't result in future allegations being taken less seriously, or that "fans" will automatically assume they're unfounded, being trumped up so that Safe Sport can get a win, or an excuse to dismiss/attack possible victims.

louisa05

Final Flight
One would think. I don’t really know much about SafeSport, but came across this article: https://deadspin.com/safesport-the-usocs-attempt-to-stop-child-abuse-is-se-1826279217

SafeSport seems like it might only do the bare minimum. And not involve outside authorities.

That article doesn't inspire trust in SafeSport. Ugh. I think these sports need to start over if they are serious about stopping abuse of athletes.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of them are very serious about that.

georgia

On the Ice
Sorry, I disagree. Given the impact of sexual abuse on victims, it would be irresponsible to not investigate allegations. If they prove unwarranted, the person accused will be cleared , although I admit it would impact his/her career somewhat. If TPTB did not investigate and accusations were true, it would be destroy many more lives - just look at Nassar's victims and how MSU and USGA ignored the accusations for years.
I can report anyone, and for any reason if I want today, right now, and completely change the life of a person forever.. You see, we don’t give enough time for proper investigation We are ready to accept what we hear and then we tend to take it to the next level! It will take a long time and many sacrifices to learn how t handle it. Kids and women have suffered a lot through the years. Personally I like to wait before I throw the stone.