2019 European Championships: Men's Pregame Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 European Championships: Men's Pregame Chat

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
LOL. And if the answer to all these questions is "no," who will be on the podium?

The men's event can be so much fun to watch, though, because you never know what is going to happen. I hope Javi had a good sendoff.

i guess moris or someone we haven't thought of at all and will totally surprise us :biggrin: you're right, you never know what is going to happen

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
The only sure thing right now ? Brezina will going to ruin our predictions :hslap:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I admit I'm rather nervous about all this for Javier. Now, both he and his coaching staff have been doing this a long time and have obviously put the thought into scheduling for him, but all the same, he's not really given himself a ton of preparation time beforehand.

In the long run, of course, it really doesn't matter what happens here -- Javi's career results speak for themselves, and won't be substantially affected by any placement he receives here. However, it's undeniable that any result other than gold here would be a big disappointment and a sour note to end his competitive career on, so it's hard not to feel antsy after such a wonderful potential ending in Pyeongchang.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I’m excited for this competition, even if the podium is a bit predictable. I think Javi will be just fine. I don’t expect him to be in his best form, but he knows how to put it together when it matters. Brezina and Kovtun have the momentum going for them, but I don’t know if they can challenge a solid Fernandez, especially with the PCS difference. We’ll see though.
The Prodigal Son arc looks good on Kovtun, but Euros will be an interesting test of how competitive he is — if he goes clean, his BV is enough to keep him in the mix, but we all know that “the men” and “going clean” is asking for a small miracle. Kovtun, Brezina, and Kolyada can all challenge for a place on the podium, but if Javi shows up at 85% of his normal self, I don’t see anyone challenging him for the title except a flawless Kolyada. Samarin could podium if he lands the 4Lz and others falter.

I have no idea what to think of Matteo debuting a new programme — it sounds like he’s replacing one medley for another? I actually was hoping he’d do a free skate to just one track, such as Paint It Black. (And Don’t Stop Me Now is a great track that... I now associate with lulz.)

What will be most interesting for me is to see who from the smaller feds will be a future contender, what with Javi’s retirement and Brezina’s (probable) exit soon as well. Aymoz, Rizzo, Grassl, Siao Him Fa, Vasiljevs, Kvitelashvili could all make a statement. I remember liking Hayrapetyan at Talinn as well. This is all assuming we don’t have the usual men’s splat fest, of course.

Will Rizzo debut his quad here, or was that more of a sneak peak for next season?
Didn’t Rizzo go for the 4T earlier in the season? Not sure it counts as a debut. :think:

Does Czechia/the Czech Republic have a male skater who could take over for Brezina? I thought part of why he stayed on was due to the lack of upcoming talent (and the fed asking him to consider continuing to compete).

Vasiljevs has what it takes to be competitive under the new scoring system. Rizzo, Grassl, Siao Him Fa and Aymoz are all future stars and/or clearly ascendant. Kvitelashvili... is a nice guy who’s a pure TES skater and not even an especially consistent TES skater, and I’ve pretty much given up hope. But he really isn’t under much domestic pressure, as far as I know, so maybe he’ll wind up like Brezina and peak again in a few years. That short programme, though. It’s memorable in all the wrong ways. (Sleeve choreo! Dance break! Debussy!)

rachno2

Record Breaker
I don’t see anyone challenging him for the title except a flawless Kolyada.
I’m pretending Kolyada isn’t competing and is just showing up to bless me with a short haircut and maybe a nice triple lutz or axel (but not both. I know better).

I have no idea what to think of Matteo debuting a new programme — it sounds like he’s replacing one medley for another? I actually was hoping he’d do a free skate to just one track, such as Paint It Black. (And Don’t Stop Me Now is a great track that... I now associate with lulz.)

I fully expected this to be that one scene from Shaun of the Dead, which is the only thing I associate that song with. But this is great too.

The songs are Bohemian Rhapsody (has anyone considered just.....skating to that one song?), Love of my Life and Don’t Stop Me Now. I predict incoherent music cuts galore.

That short programme, though. It’s memorable in all the wrong ways. (Sleeve choreo! Dance break! Debussy!)

Moris’ short and Deniss’ free are so wacky. I can’t wait to see them again. Not to mention Deniss’ iconic yellow pants or Aymoz’ shirtography.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I’m pretending Kolyada isn’t competing and is just showing up to bless me with a short haircut and maybe a nice triple lutz or axel (but not both. I know better).
This... is a wise strategy. I will choose to adopt it. But he could win! I do think this is mostly Fernández‘s to lose, as the only skater who can rival him in PCS is Misha and a clean Brezina, and all three should have similar BVs. The guys who potentially have a few points more in BV have issues with PCS and cleanliness. A Javi-Misha-Michal podium would be an extremely attractive one... go, my figure skating husbands!

The songs are Bohemian Rhapsody (has anyone considered just.....skating to that one song?), Love of my Life and Don’t Stop Me Now. I predict incoherent music cuts galore.
Worlds 2019, brought to you by incoherent music cuts. ;)

I think Bohemian Rhapsody might be too unforgiving to skate a full programme to. It reminds me of how punishing the backhalf of Keiji Tanaka’s free is, actually. With Matteo, it’s more that while I loved the Beatles medley, the “classic SP, rock medley FP” thing is becoming a little too much of a thing. And whenever a young skater chooses Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones, etc., I always wonder: “Okay, are you truly a fan of this or did your coach pick it?” It’s the music of a generation or two before the skater. Which doesn’t mean they didn’t pick it themselves, but it feels like a contemporary warhorse and not an authentic choice most of the time.

Moris’ short and Deniss’ free are so wacky. I can’t wait to see them again. Not to mention Deniss’ iconic yellow pants or Aymoz’ shirtography.
I was the sole member of Team Colourblock with regard to Nathan’s SP costume this year and I will proudly die on the hill of those yellow pants. Team Bananapants!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This... is a wise strategy. I will choose to adopt it. But he could win! I do think this is mostly Fernández‘s to lose, as the only skater who can rival him in PCS is Misha and a clean Brezina, and all three should have similar BVs. The guys who potentially have a few points more in BV have issues with PCS and cleanliness. A Javi-Misha-Michal podium would be an extremely attractive one... go, my figure skating husbands!

Worlds 2019, brought to you by incoherent music cuts. ;)

I think Bohemian Rhapsody might be too unforgiving to skate a full programme to. It reminds me of how punishing the backhalf of Keiji Tanaka’s free is, actually. With Matteo, it’s more that while I loved the Beatles medley, the “classic SP, rock medley FP” thing is becoming a little too much of a thing. And whenever a young skater chooses Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones, etc., I always wonder: “Okay, are you truly a fan of this or did your coach pick it?” It’s the music of a generation or two before the skater. Which doesn’t mean they didn’t pick it themselves, but it feels like a contemporary warhorse and not an authentic choice most of the time.

I was the sole member of Team Colourblock with regard to Nathan’s SP costume this year and I will proudly die on the hill of those yellow pants. Team Bananapants!

As someone around Matteo's age - a ton of my friends were really into the Beatles when we were in school. I had my own Beatles phase. It's not everyone by far, but it's very common. In my experience, people my age would not find it weird at all for their peers to be fans of the Beatles, even if they weren't themselves. Now, my circles were somewhat artsy, so not necessarily representative of everyone, but that could easily be true for a skater as well. The Stones, Elvis and Queen a bit less so than the Beatles, but we all tend know the big hits. Bohemian Rhapsody was played at a house party I went to last week (along with current hits and a song from Camp Rock). It's also often considered pretty cool to be into older music.

As well, for a lot of people around my age, this is the music of our parents, so we grew up listening to it at home.

Which isn't to say that the skaters are necessarily coming up with it themselves (Nic Nadeau said that Elvis was all Shae Lynn's idea), but I wouldn't find it weird at all if they were. I mean, I have The Eagles and Leonard Cohen on my phone, and Spotify playlists with The Beatles, Queen, etc. I don't listen to that as much as I listen to Taylor Swift and Shawn Mendes, but still.

ETA: Which isn't to say I don't think Matteo should branch out - I do.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
The only sure thing right now ? Brezina will going to ruin our predictions :hslap:

he's been doing it the whole season, why stop now? :palmf:

so he watched the movie, i guess :laugh:

I fully expected this to be that one scene from Shaun of the Dead, which is the only thing I associate that song with. But this is great too.

well beating zombies to this music, on the ice, while skating would be something :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In the long run, of course, it really doesn't matter what happens here -- Javi's career results speak for themselves, and won't be substantially affected by any placement he receives here.

That doesn't mean that heaps of us will be sending karrmic "goldgoldgoldgoldgold" thoughts at him :pray:

I would really really like Kolyada to podium after the season he's been through, but not the gold (I am hopelessly biased, so sue me)

Bcash

Final Flight
I admit I'm rather nervous about all this for Javier. Now, both he and his coaching staff have been doing this a long time and have obviously put the thought into scheduling for him, but all the same, he's not really given himself a ton of preparation time beforehand.

In the long run, of course, it really doesn't matter what happens here -- Javi's career results speak for themselves, and won't be substantially affected by any placement he receives here. However, it's undeniable that any result other than gold here would be a big disappointment and a sour note to end his competitive career on, so it's hard not to feel antsy after such a wonderful potential ending in Pyeongchang.

I'm a little puzzled and amused by his decision to participate and the total lack of pre-competition training (a couple weeks doesn't count). I wonder what his mindset is going in and if his technical content will be watered down.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I'm a little puzzled and amused by his decision to participate and the total lack of pre-competition training (a couple weeks doesn't count). I wonder what his mindset is going in and if his technical content will be watered down.

Competing at Euros was his plan all along, so it wasn’t an impulsive decision. He’s doing two old programs, and he has been at TCC for nearly a month IIRC, where I assume he has most of Orser’s attention (especially with Medvedeva in Russia). It might be watered down technically, but if anybody can pull something together on short notice and deliver a good performance, it’s Javi. In this unpredictable field, that might be enough.

Bcash

Final Flight
Competing at Euros was his plan all along, so it wasn’t an impulsive decision. He’s doing two old programs, and he has been at TCC for nearly a month IIRC, where I assume he has most of Orser’s attention (especially with Medvedeva in Russia). It might be watered down technically, but if anybody can pull something together on short notice and deliver a good performance, it’s Javi. In this unpredictable field, that might be enough.

I know it’s a premeditated decision. I’m a little surprised that he kept it, given how preoccupied he’s been with his shows in Spain. Other than technical elements, stamina is another thing that could be tricky for him, given how little “reserve” he has in terms of doing LPs day in and day out.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I know it’s a premeditated decision. I’m a little surprised that he kept it, given how preoccupied he’s been with his shows in Spain. Other than technical elements, stamina is another thing that could be tricky for him, given how little “reserve” he has in terms of doing LPs day in and day out.

That’s true, and the men have had trouble adapting to the shorter LPs. We’ll see soon enough! Either way, I’m sure Javi will put on a good show and receive a warm reception. This is just the coda to a fabulous career.

Country
Norway
Alexander Majorov has just announced on his Twitter that this will be his last European championship. He is retiring after this season, saying his body needs to rest from all injuries, no matter how much he loves it. Looks like it´s going to be a goodbye to another good skater at the Euros. I wish for both him and Javier that they will have a lovely last competition at Euros. Both very lovely skaters.

Weathergal

Medalist
Alexander Majorov has just announced on his Twitter that this will be his last European championship. He is retiring after this season, saying his body needs to rest from all injuries, no matter how much he loves it. Looks like it´s going to be a goodbye to another good skater at the Euros. I wish for both him and Javier that they will have a lovely last competition at Euros. Both very lovely skaters.

One nice thing for Alexander is his brother Nikolaj is also competing at Euros.

Country
Norway
One nice thing for Alexander is his brother Nikolaj is also competing at Euros.

Yes, it´s very nice they get this championship together and can cherish the moments together. Alexander can inspire and guide Nikolaj true the championship, and it´s also good that Nikolaj get his first championship without having a lot of pressure filling Alexander shoes (or booting skates). It would be really nice if both Alexander and Nikolaj will be in the FS. It´s also good to know that if Alexander still manage to be top 10 there is still skaters to come from Sweden who can fill the spots next year.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Alexander won't be at Worlds?