Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: Gracie Gold Announces Withdrawal from US Nationals

  1. #1
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    207

    4 Not allowed!

    Gracie Gold Announces Withdrawal from US Nationals

    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsbhs2QntNk/

    According to her latest Instagram post:

    Since my return to competitive skating, I’ve had one mantra: Trust the Process. While difficult at times, coming back to skating has been the best decision I could have made. A large part of trusting the process has me looking more at the big picture of my career. My goal is the 2022 Olympics in Beijing. With that being said, I have decided it is in my best interest to withdraw from the 2019 championships. This was an incredibly difficult decision, but ultimately the right one.

    I have already begun preparations for next year. This is a great opportunity for me to get a jump start on the season. I want to thank everyone for their support this past season, as the feedback I have received has been quite tremendous. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    I wish everyone the best of luck at the Championships. See you all soon.

  2. #2
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,790

    16 Not allowed!
    Not really a surprise, but it's great that she's thinking about the long term and staying positive. While I'd like to see her compete at the top levels again, I'd like it more if she is happy doing what she loves whether or not that involves skating.

  3. #3
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,432

    9 Not allowed!
    great decision imho.
    At GP she looked very out of shape, and its better to have extra time and come back ready next season, than go for worlds only to have a subpar performance there

  4. #4
    GS Supporter el henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7,104
    Country: United States of America

    7 Not allowed!
    So happy to hear that Gracie is thinking about the long term and that her goal is Beijing

    But whatever makes Gracie happy is of course most important

    Also so cool to see Trust the Process in her post I think I remember seeing Gracie in a Sixers hat and training in the Philly burbs, TTP is in the air
    Last edited by el henry; 01-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,424

    0 Not allowed!
    Noooo..(but if that's what Gracie needs)...but noooo..I had already bought my tickets, train tickets and joined Friends of Figure Skating..guess I should have waited.

  6. #6
    "I took a chance to build a world of mine...." Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,765
    Country: United States of America

    5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    Noooo..(but if that's what Gracie needs)...but noooo..I had already bought my tickets, train tickets and joined Friends of Figure Skating..guess I should have waited.
    You can still support and meet other skaters.

  7. #7
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,424

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    You can still support and meet other skaters.
    Yes, I can. However if I did not think Gracie would be there I would not have purchased tickets. I'm already looking up driving times to Greensboro. The train was 39 hours

  8. #8
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,134

    0 Not allowed!
    Good decision. Who is her replacement?

  9. #9
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,424

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbob View Post
    Good decision. Who is her replacement?
    I'm not sure she would have a replacement since she had a bye? Not to mention, she can't be replaced, at least not in my heart.

  10. #10
    GS Supporter el henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7,104
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    I'm not sure she would have a replacement since she had a bye? Not to mention, she can't be replaced, at least not in my heart.
    I understand your disappointment

    I believe the highest scorer from sectionals will go; I think that’s how it workd? No idea who that may be

  11. #11
    Tripping on the Podium CellarDweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    796
    Country: United States of America

    8 Not allowed!
    I think it was a smart decision. She needs more time to get back into the competitive spirit, and be gentle with herself at the same time.

    Good thoughts and love to you, Gracie!

  12. #12
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34,778
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    Yes, I can. However if I did not think Gracie would be there I would not have purchased tickets. I'm already looking up driving times to Greensboro. The train was 39 hours
    It's about 600 miles, 10 hours or so of driving time.

    Detroit is very badly served by trains such as Amtrak. Maybe they have improved service since I last travelled, but back then to go from the east coast to Detroit you had to shoot past Detroit to the south and go to Chicago, then back east to Detroit. The alternative was to get off the train at Lima, Ohio and take the greyhound bus from there.

  13. #13
    avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,782
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    … I believe the highest scorer from sectionals will go; I think that’s how it workd? No idea who that may be
    AFAIK, moonvine is correct that Gracie -- who had a bye to Nats -- will not be replaced.

    If Gracie had been a qualifier from sectionals, then she would be replaced by another skater from sectionals.



    Best to Gracie.

  14. #14
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,424

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It's about 600 miles, 10 hours or so of driving time.

    Detroit is very badly served by trains such as Amtrak. Maybe they have improved service since I last travelled, but back then to go from the east coast to Detroit you had to shoot past Detroit to the south and go to Chicago, then back east to Detroit. The alternative was to get off the train at Lima, Ohio and take the greyhound bus from there.
    I live in St Louis. I'm taking the train from here to Detroit due to fear of weather and it's about 12 hours. The train from St Louis to Greensboro is 39 hours. Driving time is 12 ish hours for a regular person. I have to stop a LOT and walk around due to my arthritic knee. I guess I will wait until closer to next year's Nationals to see if she even makes it as she can't use a bye again.

  15. #15
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    206

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ice coverage View Post
    AFAIK, moonvine is correct that Gracie -- who had a bye to Nats -- will not be replaced.

    If Gracie had been a qualifier from sectionals, then she would be replaced by another skater from sectionals.



    Best to Gracie.
    This is correct. Skaters with byes to the event who withdraw are not replaced. Only skaters who qualified via sectionals are replaced, with the 5th place skater at the withdrawn skater's sectional getting the spot.

  16. #16
    Medalist Alexz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,295
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    9,443
    Country: United States of America

    6 Not allowed!
    I am so fine with this. I think a poor performance at Nationals would have been devastating for her. I truly hope she's able to continue improving and can get back to where she was in 2016. I wish her the best.

  18. #18
    Tripping on the Podium melgirl25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    828
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrice View Post
    I am so fine with this. I think a poor performance at Nationals would have been devastating for her. I truly hope she's able to continue improving and can get back to where she was in 2016. I wish her the best.
    So true. Do you think she’ll do some shows?

  19. #19
    GS Supporter el henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7,104
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    OK, I just had an excellent thought.

    Excellently selfish for me that is

    Gracie trains at the same rink where the Philadelphia Summer Championships (Liberty) are held. Dare I hope by August?

  20. #20
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,115

    3 Not allowed!
    For some reason I missed this. This is kind of devastating news. But probably the right thing and really not surprising at all - I was just hoping. I thought maybe it is true she may be more robust but more powerful. I hoped maybe some of you were right that she had a bad day in Russia. I hoped that despite people saying she was not landing triples or the 2A clearly as of November was just conjecture.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •