View Poll Results: What makes you want to read a thread?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • Data/Analysis/References

77 39.69%
  • News, tidbits/updates

138 71.13%
  • Gossip

39 20.10%
  • Features/Interviews

72 37.11%
  • Side-by-side skater comparisons

22 11.34%
  • Drama

45 23.20%
  • Threads by country/discipline

71 36.60%
  • Competition Chat

108 55.67%
  • Fan Fests/My favorite skaters

111 57.22%
  • Other (Discuss)

7 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What makes you want to read a thread?

1 Not allowed!

Question What makes you want to read a thread?

Hey GS members!!

The GS Staff would like to know which threads in particular prompt you to visit the GS Forums? Feel free to choose more than one and further discuss!

This is not a "how can GS do better" thread or complaint thread. We would just like to get a read on the what areas folks like to discuss when they visit
    Last edited by gsk8; 01-12-2019 at 03:55 PM.

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    I'm usually open to most threads, but among the ones in The Edge, I have my favorites - one of them is the Russian Ladies' thread. I think part of what makes it special to me is that it's a home for all things Russian ladies and a place where we can come to (mostly) celebrate and (sometimes) commiserate together. I really like the "State Of..." threads, and read those most

10 Not allowed!
    In the off season I love visiting threads dedicated to new programs, splits and coaching changes and announcements of the GP lists. I also like all the voting for the best costume and this kind of stuff. During the skating season I frequently visit all the competition threads, predictions games and the fan fests. I also like threads dedicated to the condition of different skating categories in different continents or countries. I think it was last season that I particularly liked a thread dedicated to our wishes regarding skaters who were not going to compete for the top positions, but who produced in us strong feelings and hopes they would place the highest possible. Best something (step sequence, choreo sequence, etc.) are also funny because they include links to many old programs and refreshen my memory.

Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar

6 Not allowed!
    Definitely tend to concentrate on my favourite skaters (which basically means a decent handful of the men and a tiny, eclectic scatter of pairs/dance) so their fanfests or any thread where they'll be likely to add to the discussion will draw me in first (conversely, the few I do not like, I will block a thread, even outside the fest, where they dominate. Life's too short).

The technical threads go over my inexperienced head a fair bit, I'm afraid, but I do like to read some of them to try and learn more.

Being as I am shallow and frivolous, anything on costumes, music, programs I'll happily read; 'best of' are good for me to find skaters or programs that push buttons I didn't know I had. Anything on the OTT side of skating appeals like whoah to my sense of the ridiculous (I mean it, a worst costumes/music cut/funny falls is like catnip. Even if I'm also mainly in there to defend Yuzu's and Shoma's bling)

The competition threads can be fun but being a wuss and tending to watch them sometimes with my hands over my eyes and peeking through my fingers (especially when I care about someone having trouble) I find sometimes it's "call me when he's finished!!!

Medalist

7 Not allowed!
    I ❤️ Lists.

Lists of people's power rankings, list of favorite lutz/axel/etc., predictions for competitions, favorite performances from a given competition or a given era, and more. Something I can scroll through quickly, and see how peoples' tastes relate to mine.

I'm under your spell: Ain't nobody's business.... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    The Lutz Corner: where I can offer help to other skaters and give back.

2 Not allowed!
    Sometimes I'll open a thread just based on who posted it! I do have my favorites and non-favorites and I think that colors where I go and what I read. Most of the time that works out for me.

Spectator

2 Not allowed!
    I like the Lutz Corner too because I can learn a lot there

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer Metis's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Statistics.

An opportunity to tl;dr, and failing that, to snark with good intentions during event live-threads.

3 Not allowed!
    I like threads with some analysis, but also updates and news, features, interviews, discussing the state of certain disciplines, reading about favourites (and I've got quite a few, even if my top favourites are not skating this year and might retire). Gossip sometimes can be fun, though not the skater bashing kind. I can't help people who are trying themselves to get into competition as my own skating is at a low (but still fun) level, so those threads I tend to skip.

Tripping on the Podium

2 Not allowed!
    Now I have time to write a reply as well as vote...I read for data/technical analysis/rules discussion so long as the conversation stays calm, reasonable and disconnected from any specific skater or coach; news/updates; fan fests/favorite skaters; and competition chat. More or less in that order, though it changes based on the time of year. And I do find the discussions in the Lutz corner rather fascinating and instructive. OTOH I generally steer clear of drama and the various subtypes of drama that emerge from time to time (my fandom background uses a cruder but possibly more accurate name for that sort of carry-on), State of/National threads, gossip and most interviews. Skater comparisons...that's run for the hills time, really.

2 Not allowed!
    My technical knowledge is limited, so I'm somewhat reluctant to post technical info there, but I appreciate reading that info from others who are way more technically knowledgeable. I appreciate that most of the discussions @ this forum are respectful in tone.

Longing for a clean event.. satine's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    My selections are:

-Data/Analysis/References - I try to be as knowledgeable as possible, but I admit that I certainly have a lot to learn, so I appreciate reading from other users, especially those that have followed the sport longer or have skated themselves. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum

-Features/Interviews - Any interview with a figure skater is worth giving a go. Support figure skater coverage! Click on the video/article!

-Side-by-side Skater Comparisons - I really enjoy these, so long as posters keep it civil.

-Drama - Not gonna deny that I love the drama that took place during the off-season this summer, lol. But note that I did not select 'Gossip' as a category- I like the real stuff

-Competition Chat - Possibly my favorite aspect of the forum. I don't have anyone that will sit through a whole skating event with me and know very much about what they are watching. Getting to chat with you all during a competition is such a joy for me. Even if I miss the event live, I like to watch the skates in order as I browse through the appropriate thread for it.
    -Fan Fests/My Favorite Skaters - We all have favorites- it's impossible not to in this sport

Spectator

2 Not allowed!
    I'll read any thread that sends me a push notification, like this thread did, lol.

5 Not allowed!
    I like news, I find myself sticking more and more to the fanfests for my favorite skaters. Sometimes I will look at the "State of..." threads but they are just too repetitive and rife with petty drama, crazy ubers or antis, doom-and-gloom, and nothing substantial that I can't find anywhere else. I dislike anything to do with statistics and math (sorry Mathman ) and I deeply dislike skater comparisons...I am interested in them as individuals on their own paths, and I don't care who anyone else thinks is "the best" - there is never going to be any consensus, so why waste your breath arguing over it?

One category that wasn't mentioned, that I wish there was a bit more of on here, is discussion of skating history and skaters who have long retired. I know very little about anything prior to the 2000s and I think it's a pity sometimes that even recently retired skaters don't get discussed on here any more. Of course there are a few exceptions, but I mean anyone who wasn't an Oly/World champ.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxes View Post
    One category that wasn't mentioned, that I wish there was a bit more of on here, is discussion of skating history and skaters who have long retired. I know very little about anything prior to the 2000s and I think it's a pity sometimes that even recently retired skaters don't get discussed on here any more. Of course there are a few exceptions, but I mean anyone who wasn't an Oly/World champ.
    Can you post one or more threads about past skating to get us started?

Ask open-ended general questions if you're not sure where to start.

Personally, I started following skating obsessively in the 1990s, attending some live events and trading VHS tapes with fans from other countries as well as keeping up with most new US broadcasts (not so much the pro skating events though). So that's the era I have memorized the most about, although I have caught up on past eras through videos and reading and still follow the current events.

7 Not allowed!
    I like reading the fan fests for many skaters. I like the power rankings. I also like reading the State of the US / European/Japanese/Russian etc men’s and ladies threads. I like reading threads where interviews or other news are posted. I like reading threads where someone has taken the initiative to analyze something - for example, the recent thread on judging bias, or the threads posted a couple of years ago where people analyzed PCS for a particular event/competition.

Threads I am unlikely ever to open are the ones with titles like “who has the best 3A/3Z/4T” etc, “should ladies jump quads”, “are quads undervalued,” “who was a better skater, skater x or skater y” (when both of those skaters stopped competing years ago), “who should have won Nationals in year x”, “what skater would you love to meet,” etc. I personally don’t find threads like these interesting.

I am a little confused as to why the predictions threads for competitions make it to the main forum but all the pre game chat threads are in the competition forums. I think it would be nice to have at least one pregame chat thread (ie not necessarily separate threads for ladies etc) for each competition in the main forum; it could always be moved to the competition forum the day before competition starts.

I also think that although it’s nice to have postgame chat threads for each competition on the main forum, having 8 threads per competition (1 for each discipline/ program) is kind of too much; to me, it takes away from discussion in the state of the USMen (or whatever) threads.

Finally, I really liked having the TCC (Cricket Club) thread on the main forum for all the reasons I mentioned when the thread was moved to the Fan Fest section. It was a fun, active thread, and it’s much less active now than it used to be. I’d kind of like to see all the “team” threads on the main forum, because I’m willing to bet some of them would be really popular. The truth is, the main forum is not just for news - right now there are threads with titles like “Dmitri Aliev’s 4Z,” “You know you’re a figure skating fan when,” Plushenko’s school is open” (this is now basically a team thread that started as news) etc., and often enough the team threads have news. I think the team threads could happily coexist with the others - and if they don’t, could always be moved back to the fan fest section.

GS Supporter

3 Not allowed!
    Can I just say, NOT polls. Though I didn't have this particular thread in mind.

Tripping on the Podium Caustica's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Generally:

1) Competition threads right after the event (so I can essentially relive the event and see other people's perspectives)

2) 'State of...' threads - essentially use it as a news source for a large group of skaters - saves me having to visit each skater's fan fest page

3) Interview/news threads

(I used to frequent Fan Fests a few years ago, but that's too time-consuming now, since I pick up skaters I follow over the years and don't drop any old favourites...)

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavi... View Post
    I like reading the fan fests for many skaters. I like the power rankings. I also like reading the State of the US / European/Japanese/Russian etc men’s and ladies threads. I like reading threads where interviews or other news are posted. I like reading threads where someone has taken the initiative to analyze something - for example, the recent thread on judging bias, or the threads posted a couple of years ago where people analyzed PCS for a particular event/competition.

Threads I am unlikely ever to open are the ones with titles like “who has the best 3A/3Z/4T” etc, “should ladies jump quads”, “are quads undervalued,” “who was a better skater, skater x or skater y” (when both of those skaters stopped competing years ago), “who should have won Nationals in year x”, “what skater would you love to meet,” etc. I personally don’t find threads like these interesting.

I am a little confused as to why the predictions threads for competitions make it to the main forum but all the pre game chat threads are in the competition forums. I think it would be nice to have at least one pregame chat thread (ie not necessarily separate threads for ladies etc) for each competition in the main forum; it could always be moved to the competition forum the day before competition starts.

I also think that although it’s nice to have postgame chat threads for each competition on the main forum, having 8 threads per competition (1 for each discipline/ program) is kind of too much; to me, it takes away from discussion in the state of the USMen (or whatever) threads.

Finally, I really liked having the TCC (Cricket Club) thread on the main forum for all the reasons I mentioned when the thread was moved to the Fan Fest section. It was a fun, active thread, and it’s much less active now than it used to be. I’d kind of like to see all the “team” threads on the main forum, because I’m willing to bet some of them would be really popular. The truth is, the main forum is not just for news - right now there are threads with titles like “Dmitri Aliev’s 4Z,” “You know you’re a figure skating fan when,” Plushenko’s school is open” (this is now basically a team thread that started as news) etc., and often enough the team threads have news. I think the team threads could happily coexist with the others - and if they don’t, could always be moved back to the fan fest section.
    Totally agree!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast