The destiny of skaters who have retired | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The destiny of skaters who have retired

... but he chose to pursue acting. (all per Wiki) He was in a few beach movies !! Who knew? I wonder if it was with Elvis or Annette Funicello?

I knew there was a reason I was envious of Mr. Carroll! (Big Elvis fan here. :) )

Here is what Phil Hersh wrote about Frank's film career on the occasion of Frank's retirement.

Over the years with Ice Follies, which was styled like an elaborate Broadway review, Carroll had made friends with many actors in musicals like “Kismet,” “Carousel” and “Hello, Dolly.” One suggested he go to Los Angeles, where friends could help get him work in films. He went.

“I would go to auditions, and when they would ask what I did, I said, `I ice skate,’’’ Carroll said. “I was like a joke to them.”

But he was handsome, with a physique buffed in the gym, and that got Carroll parts as a “body person” in three of the eminently forgettable beach movies of the mid-1960s (think “Beach Blanket Bingo,” although Carroll declines to identify which movies he was in or what his stage name was.) He would stand among a group of other “body people” in the background and sometimes sing with the group.

http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2018/8/1/xk0uxw86ode5u8skad1gobdgpndiwd

:rock: Need a Body Person? Call Frank!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Evgeni Plushenko

briefly

-He was born in Dzhamku, Solnechny District, Khabarovsk Krai( Far East, Siberia)- Solnechny means sunny, the Japaneses called him sunny boy from the beginning. His parents worked on the construction of Bajkal-Amur railway line.
-The family moved to Volvograd because he was sick all the time in the cold of Siberia
-He was 4 y. o. he and his legendary mother met with a little girl who didn't want to skate. She fell many times..They gave the skates to Zhenya those were white! he used it and hate it! He loved the skating immediately.
-The stories how his mother stretched him... and the training method of his first coach'!
-His first victories, he was talented
-The ice rink closed in Volvograd. The little Zhenya moved to St. Petersburg at 11. Everybody cried but Tatiana Plushenko said he must go because Russia needs him !!! he was in Sbornaya already. He arrived in Mishin's group.
- He lived with Mishin for a time after he lived all alone for some months.
- Her mother moved to St. Petersburg they lived in a very poor environment in a flat they shared that flat with a family where the man was alcoholic. She had no job because the laws of city didn't allowed it.. Every evening they collected bottles and bought food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_fgqwyMuYk&list=PL71B7F5268DD4AAF4
-Zhenya was the smallest in the group the newcomer a stranger. ( Yagudin, Tataurov,Urmanov, etc were the olders) They humiliated him in the locker room not once and hit his head. That was the initiation.He didn't talked about it to Mishin his mother informed him. Evgeni didn't forget it when he became the leader in the group he finished this custom.
-Their rivalry with Yagudin started on every level.
Probably many posters know his skating career. Some details in his personal life.
-He was incredible popular in Russia when he became a star he was harassed by a woman she wanted to kill his family if Zhenya won't be her partner.( verbally)
-After 2002 from US he received an offer to make a romantic movie. He almost signed it but he learned to make a movie is so much time he would be far from the ice and training. He wanted to be OG champion and rejected it..
-He met with Edvin Marton Hungarian musician in 2003
-In 2005 WCH Moscow he needed to WD. He had sciatic hernias on both sides he was operated in Munchen many people said he wont be Oly champion.
-In 2005 he got merried so quickly and unexpectedly. No one wanted it except the couple.
-He won the OG and Masha was pregnant already. Masha -and her very rich businessman father- wanted Zhenya to finish his career and work in father-in-law's business. Zhenya started his studies on the Faculty of tourism and hospitality of the Saint Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics because of them . He graduated that is his second diplom. Masha was incredible jealous and they were fighting with each other all the time. Plus Masha didn't like Plush's simple worker parents. Plush left his pregnant wife he wanted peace......

more briefly
-the divorce was scandalous and loud in the Russian media
-He met with Yana Rudkovskaya->he won the Eurovision Song contest
-Yana's also scandalous divorce from a Russian billionair.
-They got married in 2009.
-Vancouver-his army of fans fought for him on many levels and ways
- 2013- Alexander Plushenko. Plus the very serious surgery on his spine
-Sochi -heaven and hell for him
-His fame is increased - for ex he was in same golf team with Morgan Freeman ( played on a golf tournament with world stars.)
-now he is dollar millionair because of his talent.
- 2017 "Angels of Plushenko" Academy...his dream of his childhood

The Russians wanted to make a movie about his life already- not documentary- but he rejected it. He said it's too early

Toller Cranston had an interesting life. he was an avant-garde painter before, during and long after his skating career, and his works are still displayed. He authored three whimsical books.

As a skater his innovative fully stretched positions and use of the whole body turned men's figure skating on its ear and continue to influence skaters to this day. (OK, not a big fan of the broken-leg spin, but what do I know? :) )

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toller Cranston had an interesting life. he was an avant-garde painter before, during and long after his skating career, and his works are still displayed. He authored three whimsical books.

As a skater his innovative fully stretched positions and use of the whole body turned men's figure skating on its ear and continue to influence skaters to this day. (OK, not a big fan of the broken-leg spin, but what do I know? :) )

:clap:

And I love the titles of his books, particularly “When Hell freezes over, can I bring my skates” :biggrin:

But the broken leg sit spin is a gift from the skating gods:devil:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Surya Bonaly.
A child with Reunion island origins adopted by french couple. Being a child, she turns out to be a sport prodigy. Doing gymnastics and figure skating, winning medals and titles in both.
The most decorated french lady internationally and nationally. She won national titles in singles and pairs.
Her technical excellence (before her severe injury in 1996), make her win 3 worlds silvers. She lost the gold by basically nothing the three times.
She played a part in the progress of the sport by being the first to attempt many 3-3, 3-lo-3, and quads.
She made the most badass move of the history of figure skating.
She's now a coach in US.
Eva Longoria made a documentary about her.
A movie about her is in production. And i can't wait to watch it.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still hope Debi can rebound. Heal, grow and get back to her medical career.

I was thinking the same thing. She's what, in her early fifties? She can have a whole new career if she wants, or find a way to practice medicine again.

In fact, I'd go one further. It could be a blessing that the incident and even bankruptcy happened. Because of it, she was diagnosed with a condition that may have been adversely affecting every area of her life. She knows her priorities: not money. Knowledge. I mean, not that it's easy, but now she's getting treatment, everything could change.

Too bad she doesn't care about money, though. (Just kidding.) She could write a hell of a book. Dictate it, have a ghost writer. It would jump off the shelves !! :biggrin: