Figure Skating Biographies Recommendations | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Biographies Recommendations

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
What are the best biographies about figure skaters that everyone would recommend?

I’ve noticed that a lot of the up and coming Ice Dancers state that they read the original pressing of Virtue and Moire’s autobiography “Tessa & Scott: Our Journey From Childhood Dream To Gold” and recently the documentary “The Ice King” was based off the biography “Alone: The Triumph and Tradegy of John Curry” by Bill Jones.

So I was wondering what are the other biographies or autobiographies that I should read? What are the best ones out there - even if they aren’t in English?

Do you find them to be better when the skaters themselves are heavily involved in the writing or do you prefer the objective view of a journalist?

Is it better when these books focus on a skaters whole life or just their career?

I’d really love some recommendations!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a skating fan I love them all - Gordeeva and Grinkov, Oksana Baiul, Michelle Kwan, Toller Cranston, John Curry, Brian Orser, Brian Boitano, Liz Manley, Virtue and Moir, Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Johnny Weir. tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan. It is nice to hear real tidbits from the skater themselves.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ha! Just mentioned these in another thread:biggrin:

From Toller Cranston:

"Zero Tollerance"

and

"When Hell freezes over, should I bring my skates?"

Not always just about skating, since Toller led a full and eclectic life, but IMO good reads nonetheless.

Of course, I may be biased;)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Ha! Just mentioned these in another thread:biggrin:

From Toller Cranston:

"Zero Tollerance"

and

"When Hell freezes over, should I bring my skates?"

Not always just about skating, since Toller led a full and eclectic life, but IMO good reads nonetheless.

Of course, I may be biased;)

Which one should I start with? I think it’ll be interesting to read this alongside Alone as Cranston is apparently quoted extensively in Alone.

As a skating fan I love them all - Gordeeva and Grinkov, Oksana Baiul, Michelle Kwan, Toller Cranston, John Curry, Brian Orser, Brian Boitano, Liz Manley, Virtue and Moir, Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Johnny Weir. tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan. It is nice to hear real tidbits from the skater themselves.

Thanks for the list! Any in particular from the list that you remember as being very well written or that you’d recommend as a starting point?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which one should I start with? I think it’ll be interesting to read this alongside Alone as Cranston is apparently quoted extensively in Alone.

Zero Tollerance is the earlier book and probably has a more linear approach, although it has been years, and I mean *years*, since I read it.

One thing I do remember: Toller is Toller. He is dramatic, and believes in himself, and believes that judges didn't understand and were out to undermine him. Unlike the internet of today, where some fans "wuzrobbed" their favorite skater and proclaim "they're out to get me/us/Skater X", Toller was right.

But you need 40 years distance to actually say that as a fact:laugh:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Aside from the ones mentioned, Jumpin' Joe about Jozef Sabovcik was also a really interesting read, even though I wasn't even that much of a fan of him (someone gave me the book).

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Very interesting! Zero Tollarance is going in my Amazon basket!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Aside from the ones mentioned, Jumpin' Joe about Jozef Sabovcik was also a really interesting read, even though I wasn't even that much of a fan of him (someone gave me the book).

I’ve not actually heard of Jozef Sabovcik so I’ll definitely look into this book, thanks!

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I really liked Katia Gordeeva's "My Sergei" written upon his sudden death. It tells their professional and personal story and includes a lot of photos.

BTW, it's interesting that Marina Zueva does not coach pairs any more. She was G&G's coach and I don't know if she's had any pair skaters since them.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I really liked Katia Gordeeva's "My Sergei" written upon his sudden death. It tells their professional and personal story and includes a lot of photos.

BTW, it's interesting that Marina Zueva does not coach pairs any more. She was G&G's coach and I don't know if she's had any pair skaters since them.

Marina still does choreography for pairs, in recent years she's worked with Denney and Frazier, and others.:biggrin:

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Oh, that's good to know, but apart from choreographing has she been any pair's coach in the last, let's say, decade?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not a biography per se, but The Second Mark, by Joy Goodwin, recounts the skating journeys from childhood of the top 3 pairs at the 2002 Olympics: Sale and Pelletier from different provinces in Canada, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze from different schools/cities in Russia, and Shen and Zhao, who trained in Harbin from a young age. I found the author's explorations of their backgrounds, their sacrifices, and how their experiences differed in widely different cultures, to be most riveting.

Part of the book goes into the judging scandal, but I don't really remember that part. What I remember best is how well researched the book is, and the details and a great narrative voice that allowed me to feel I was practically there, going through experiences with all six.

Here's a little part of the Amazon blurb:

Representing Canada, China, and Russia, the three pairs illuminated their distinct cultures. On the second mark, whose culture would triumph? Would it be the beauty of the Russians' ballet on ice, the thrill of the Chinese pair's heart-stopping acrobatics, or the Canadians' passionate connection with the audience?
https://www.amazon.com/Second-Mark-...=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547607303&sr=1-1&keywords

Eloise14

Rinkside
Definitely read My Sergei by Katia Gordeeva put be prepared to fall in love with them a d them have your heart broken. Have lots of tissues handy 😭

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
A Skating Life My Story by Dorothy Hamill.

Sounds good she’s an icon.

It's not a biography per se, but The Second Mark, by Joy Goodwin, recounts the skating journeys from childhood of the top 3 pairs at the 2002 Olympics: Sale and Pelletier from different provinces in Canada, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze from different schools/cities in Russia, and Shen and Zhao, who trained in Harbin from a young age. I found the author's explorations of their backgrounds, their sacrifices, and how their experiences differed in widely different cultures, to be most riveting.

Part of the book goes into the judging scandal, but I don't really remember that part. What I remember best is how well researched the book is, and the details and a great narrative voice that allowed me to feel I was practically there, going through experiences with all six.

Here's a little part of the Amazon blurb:

Representing Canada, China, and Russia, the three pairs illuminated their distinct cultures. On the second mark, whose culture would triumph? Would it be the beauty of the Russians' ballet on ice, the thrill of the Chinese pair's heart-stopping acrobatics, or the Canadians' passionate connection with the audience?
https://www.amazon.com/Second-Mark-...=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547607303&sr=1-1&keywords

This sounds really good and is exactly what I’m looking for. Definitely on the list. Can’t believe some of the people involved are still working within figure skating.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Talk - Steve Milton - a book of interviews with skaters & coaches (from the mid 1990's)

Not a biography per se, but Push Dick's Button is a hoot!

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
A Skating Life My Story by Dorothy Hamill.

Dorothy's biography is really good. It is so interesting to read how skaters lived and trained in the 60s and 70s. I remember Dorothy's description of practicing figures in actual sub-freezing temperatures as well as performing injured in fulfilling her obligations to the association, also remember how she felt disadvantaged coming up in the ranks against some of the rich girls in New York City.

Also, Janet Lynn's - Peace and Love, I think it was called.

The John Curry book - the one with all the black and white photos - I forget the title - was amazing both as a biography and for the photography.

Rudy Galindo's autobiography was so touching.

Also remember, "A Very Young Skater" in the Jill Krementz series, about 10-year-old Katherine Healy. Really takes you into that time and place, and again the photos are extraordinary.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I can heartily second many of the books already mentioned. My favorites would be Toller's books and The Second Mark. The latter is one of the best sports books I've ever read. You get such a strong impression of what all six athletes went through to get to the 2002 Olympics, only to face the judging scandal, and it's so well-written that the epilogue made me cry.
Another two books I can recommend are Skating for Gold, by Robin Cousins with Howard Bass, and Robin Cousins: the Authorized Biography by Martha Lowder Kimball (who wrote Zero Tollerance with Toller). The first is written just after his Olympic win in 1980 and the second was published in 1998. The first is difficult to find, but together they narrate a very interesting life and career.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Skate Talk - Steve Milton - a book of interviews with skaters & coaches (from the mid 1990's)

Not a biography per se, but Push Dick's Button is a hoot!
Frozen Teardrop by Lucinda Ruh and How TheTop Skaters Get ×××××ed by Jon Jackson. SPOILER alert. Whether you personally believe what these two say is true or not about skating icons, the books MAY not lift you up at times... ;). Coyote at MSP. #allmosthome

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Thumbs up! by Elizabeth Manley is the best autobiography of a figure skater that I've read. It paints an honest picture of the good and bad. Liz was a champion Canadian figure skater during the 80s, a contemporary of Katerina Witt. She had good potential early in her career but struggled with her mental and physical health under the weight of expectations before having the skate of her life to win silver in Calgary.