What kind could GPF trophy be like? | Golden Skate

What kind could GPF trophy be like?

mysticice

Rinkside
During New Year’s time I was watching the Four Hills Tournament – a prestigious ski jumping tournament in Europe that consists of four competitions within a week. Ryoyu Kobayashi won it and was given a golden eagle trophy. Kobayashi was visibly more enthusiastic about getting the golden eagle than about getting a medal that he was also given or several crystal vases that he received during the tournament.

That got me thinking that what if every year ISU gave the same kind of trophy to GP Final winners. Something that skaters would really want and that they would be proud of having one. Organizing feds could still give regular medals to all the medalists. We all know there is a wide range of types of medals given depending on feds but the one certain prize that skaters could look forward to would be the trophy.

So hypothetically, what animal or thing could represent figure skating as a golden/silver/crystal trophy? Something other than the shape of skates.

I’d love to hear your ideas.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Their aren’t many animals that I associate with ice other than perhaps a small fish?

I’ve always wondered if skaters prefer unique but cheap looking glass/plastic medals or the more traditional metal ones.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the idea of a cute Panda Bear Cup :love:

I’d be down with a penguin too ;)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I agree that any trophy should be made out of crystal. And if it were to an animal, then a penguin would be the most appropriate.

At the same time, I feel that a trophy should show the subject doing a figure skating move. And I am not sure that that would work with a penguin. Or a polar bear, for that matter.

Take for example this trophy of a human skater, which I always thought was lovely:

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn....=05454300a7923fa59297a2395be745d0&oe=5CBE1A4A

The Northern Ireland Championships have not been contested for about a decade, so the trophies are not currently being presented. Although, given how proud the reigning Junior Ladies Champion is of having won the trophy pictured, you could have great difficulty prising it out of her hands! :laugh:

A couple of weeks ago, I read a story that Dick Button was selling some of his memorabilia in an auction. And the lots included some statuettes of some past stars:

Sonja Henie 1
Sonja Henie 2
Maxi Herber
Peggy Fleming
Gustave Lussi

There were also a couple of statuettes of regular people doing recreational skating.

The auction is on Saturday week (26[SUP]th[/SUP] January), so perhaps the ISU could have a quick whip round and bid on them. Because they would make great trophies for presenting at figure skating competitions.

Given the observation that started this conversation, I should add that Lussi was actually a competitor in ski jumping, but then started coaching in figure skating. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan