"fake" ice that people skate on | Golden Skate

"fake" ice that people skate on

Johar

Medalist
I have seen a few skaters skating on TV on a surgace that is not really ice. What is it called and can anybody buy it?

On an episode of Viva La Bam, Bam had that stuff installed in his house and actually had a skating pairs doing skills on it! :laugh:

IDLERACER

Medalist
In the movie "Real Genius," Val Kilmer invents some sort of substance that coats the floors, enabling him to skate indoors. So it has now become a reality, eh? :biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Johar said:
I have seen a few skaters skating on TV on a surgace that is not really ice. What is it called and can anybody buy it?

On an episode of Viva La Bam, Bam had that stuff installed in his house and actually had a skating pairs doing skills on it! :laugh:

Kurt has done some fancy footwork on some sort of "fake ice." I remember from his show, at one point he jumped up on the stage and skated accross the stage. But then, Kurt can skate just about on anything!!!!

Johar

Medalist
On the soap called Passions, they are using the winter park skating set again, and you can hear them skate across this fake ice. One of the actors used to be involved in skating but I can't remember who. One year he was doing some spiffy moves on it.

I've also seen it on floats in parades.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I just checked it out and it is actually affordable. The only problem is that i don't have the room right now. I dream of a big open house where the stuff can be installed inside. How cool!

I think that I would skate on it first to make sure that I like it. There is a town about an hour away getting one of these. I might go try it out. Thanks for the link!

backspin

On the Ice
I know peopel who've skated on it. They say it's really really slow, & it dulls your blades in like 10 seconds.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
"Carmen on Ice" was filmed on the fake ice. That starred Witt, Boitano & Orser & was about 1990, I think. That's the earliest that I remember seeing it used.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IIRC the Macy's Thanksgiving parade had a float one year that featured an ice skater. The announcers said that the "ice" was actually a type of teflon surface.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Johar said:
On the soap called Passions, they are using the winter park skating set again, and you can hear them skate across this fake ice. One of the actors used to be involved in skating but I can't remember who. One year he was doing some spiffy moves on it.

Johar how did you like Precious as Tonya Harding, LOL? :rofl:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I've skated on it. A place about an hour away installed some about a year ago and I went a couple of times. I could actually stand up on it, only b/c it's not nearly as slippery as real ice and it dulls the blades in about two seconds. I would've continued going, but the place that had it had no structure in their schedule. Every time I went the whole place was overrun with kids screaming as they raced from one end to the other. Not fun.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I am more instereted in the skatability of it for practicing. I did not see any jumps on the video at the website, but could you imagine waking up and kissing your other half good morning, and saying, "I am going into the other room to SKATE"?!?!?!

How cool woud that be?

megsk8z

On the Ice
It's always been my dream to have my entire floor space in my house covered with this stuff. It would certainly make the kitchen more interesting.

But seriously, the stuff is slow and does really dull your blades. I noticed an ad for skaters somewhere a while ago (I think for some Christmas show) that was asking for pairs skaters and it mentioned that some experience with skating on plastic would be helpful.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
"Carmen on Ice" was filmed on the fake ice.

"Carmen On Ice" was not filmed on fake ice. It was a portable ice surface that was smaller then a normal size rink but it was ice that they skated on.

S

SkateFan4Life

The annual Radio City Christmas Spectacular features some ice skating, with a small patch of "ice" at the front of the stage. I have no idea what substance this is, but the skaters are able to spin, lift, and glide around. It's a small surface, but it seems to do nicely.

Other Broadway shows have featured an entire stage with artificial ice. Again, I have no idea of the composition, but the skaters in these shows perform jumps, spins, lifts, etc.