2019 Canadian Nats: Ladies SP | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nats: Ladies SP

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabrielle Daleman.jpg
Any doubts about Gabrielle Daleman‘s capability going into the 2019 Canadian National Figure Skating Championships were quelled on Friday. After a disappointing sixth-place finish earlier this season at the 2018 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, two-time and reigning Canadian women’s champion Gabrielle Daleman withdrew from the Grand Prix season due to a need to focus on her mental health and deal with the aftereffects of an initially-undiagnosed concussion.

More...

What are your thoughts on the Ladies SP?

Last edited:
Great performance by Daleman. Just what she needed to answer all the questions. Beautiful Gabby is the belle of the ball (despite looking a little bit like a vampire in that picture. ;) )

I love this music. You can't go wrong with Carmen in any case, but this cut is a Carmen among Carmens. :yes:

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So good to see Gabby taking care of business after taking time off to take care of herself:clap:

A FIERCE and LOVELY vampire!

I meant to say, she looks like a femme fatale. :love:

Daleman is my favorite North American lady this year. Wonderful to see her back in the groove and ready to kick some serious derriere.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don’t know how to feel about Gabby today. All things considered it was alright but maybe even that is saying too much. Maybe not...landing your jumps is not to be undervalued in the SP and that 3z save was impressive enough. Still... It felt safe and that’s to be expected but I think she really lacked in the performance. Like she always reminded me a bit of Liza in that her interpretation was never really exceedingly deep or emotional but manifested itself in little spunklike sass. Ya know...little looks and hand gestures done with pizzazz. I saw none of that (done exceptionally well) and we all know Carmen begs for it.

I don’t know....I’m glad she’s back and fighting for those points but I’m actually more nervous about the FS than I was going into the SP. All things considered I’d say that’s a notable distinction.

Anyway...welcome back and good luck in the FS Gabby....I mean that!! Please make me feel silly for having doubts and show us Gabby “the FS” Slayer :cool2:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I just don’t know how to feel about Gabby today. All things considered it was alright but maybe even that is saying too much. Maybe not...landing your jumps is not to be undervalued in the SP and that 3z save was impressive enough. Still... It felt safe and that’s to be expected but I think she really lacked in the performance. Like she always reminded me a bit of Liza in that her interpretation was never really exceedingly deep or emotional but manifested itself in little spunklike sass. Ya know...little looks and hand gestures done with pizzazz. I saw none of that (done exceptionally well) and we all know Carmen begs for it.

I don’t know....I’m glad she’s back and fighting for those points but I’m actually more nervous about the FS than I was going into the SP. All things considered I’d say that’s a notable distinction.

Anyway...welcome back and good luck in the FS Gabby....I mean that!! Please make me feel silly for having doubts and show us Gabby “the FS” Slayer :cool2:

It felt safe to you? This was her first competition in three months and it’s a high pressure one. She spent those three months being treated for anxiety, depression, and physical illness. I admire her strength and courage.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It felt safe to you? This was her first competition in three months and it’s a high pressure one. She spent those three months being treated for anxiety, depression, and physical illness. I admire her strength and courage.

That’s why I said it was to be expected. Maybe she looked a bit “underperformy” as opposed to safe would be a better phrasing and I see what you did there. It’s certainly not safe to surprise us all by competing when It seemed doubtful just a short time ago :agree:

I’m not trying to be mean or disrespectful but I think you can respect what she’s been thru and still have reasonable expectations too from an elite skater. I mean...she scored a 70 here. I never meant to imply I didn’t respect and admire her courage to come back.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Haleth posted a very informative CBC interview with Gabby's mom in the Canadian FS thread that details the extent of Gabby's intertwining physical and psychological problems and subsequent treatment: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...ter-s-mental-health-battles-1.4977673?cmp=rss

In addition to the mounting expectations of being an elite figure skater, concerns with self-image, and existing health issues, she suffered a concussion (which wasn't diagnosed until a while later) during training before the US International FS Classic. A short excerpt that details the extent of care she received:

Rhonda took five weeks off work to help care for her daughter until she was well enough to slowly start to come back to skating.

Theirs was a multi-pronged approach to Daleman's care. A strict diet to address stomach issues, a medication regimen, and appointments with psychologist, psychiatrist, sports psychologist, family doctor and ongoing support from coaches, friends and family.

Her performance today was nothing short of impressive.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haleth posted a very informative CBC interview with Gabby's mom in the Canadian FS thread that details the extent of Gabby's intertwining physical and psychological problems and subsequent treatment: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...ter-s-mental-health-battles-1.4977673?cmp=rss

In addition to the mounting expectations of being an elite figure skater, concerns with self-image, and existing health issues, she suffered a concussion (which wasn't diagnosed until a while later) during training before the US International FS Classic. A short excerpt that details the extent of care she received:

Her performance today was nothing short of impressive.

Certainly impressive that she is in the condition she is in and able to compete! :bow: Didn’t she have pneumonia at Nationals last season too and an ankle or foot injury at Olympics and WC? The poor girl just needs to catch a break already. :pray:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gabby also has had issues with arthritis if I am not mistaken. She's been injured and ill for many years. Last year, had pneumonia at Nationals and won it over future world champion Osmond. Gabby is a true fighter . She has also fought bullying from classmates as she has learning disabilities. Truly, whatever she achieves this weekend shows immense inner strength.

... I think she really lacked in the performance.

I didn't think so at at all. That's why that Carmen music is such a great choice -- it interprets itself. You don't have to toss in any irrelevant hand gestures or winks to the audience. Just be yourself (if yourself is Carmen. :laugh: ) The last thing you want Carmen to be is subtle.

Gabby got a (trimmed, rounded) average of 8.3875 in Performance, 8.3625 in Co, and 8.3250 in INT, to go along with 8.4625 in SS and 8.2125 in TR, following the tried and true formula: Total PCS = 80% of 5xSS - .5 = 33.45. (Actual total PCS: 33.40 -- oops, the standard ISU formula for PCS missed in the hundredths place.) So the judges were quite well satisfied on the performance side. And so was I. :yes: