2019 Canadian Nats: Pairs FS | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nats: Pairs FS

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
mmnews.jpg
In 2011, Kirsten Moore-Towers stood atop the national pairs podium with then-partner Dylan Moscovitch. Eight years later, she and Michael Marinaro stepped atop it, having won a decisive victory at the 2019 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships.

More...

What are your thoughts on the Pairs FS at Canadian Nats?

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm quite taken with Justine Brasseur and Mark B. Ditto with Evelyn and Trennt ... I was also literally bowled over by them. Their sureness, their polish, the conviction they skate with, ... well I'm glad Tracy said they've been working to refine their skating skills, because that explains it.

After the SP, I felt like Kirsten and Michael were So. Right. There, Ready to claim their place as Canadian national champions. So happy for them. They still are, but they seemed to feel a little rattled by how well W/M performed. And no wonder! But they came through well, though not perfectly, and it's an experience they've got under their belt now. I really love their programs.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Tracy called Evelyn and Trennt "an unlikely pair"?

rain

Record Breaker
I'm quite taken with Justine Brasseur and Mark B. Ditto with Evelyn and Trennt ... I was also literally bowled over by them. Their sureness, their polish, the conviction they skate with, ... well I'm glad Tracy said they've been working to refine their skating skills, because that explains it.

After the SP, I felt like Kirsten and Michael were So. Right. There, Ready to claim their place as Canadian national champions. So happy for them. They still are, but they seemed to feel a little rattled by how well W/M performed. And no wonder! But they came through well, though not perfectly, and it's an experience they've got under their belt now. I really love their programs.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Tracy called Evelyn and Trennt "an unlikely pair"?

Brasseur and Bardei are my new find of the Canadian nationals I think. Their triple twist is one of the best in the world. Skate Canada should send all of their pairs to whoever taught B&B their twist.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

because evelyn is very tall for a pairs skater and trennt, though he is a strong stocky guy is only about 5 10..

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Probably height partially. She's on the taller side for a pairs girl at 163 cm (5'4"), and he's not tall at 176 cm (5'9"). But Trennt is super strong, and a great lifter, which helps.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Named to 4CCs

Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe

Named to Worlds

Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The highlight of the pair event for me was Justin B/Mark B's huge triple twists in the air. They can be something in future.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The highlight of the pair event for me was Justin B/Mark B's huge triple twists in the air. They can be something in future.

That was my highlight as well!

Honestly this whole pairs event was well skated and I found something to enjoy about all the pairs!

Weathergal

Medalist
Agreed! I also felt that way about the dance event. Both events might not have had a lot of entries, but I really enjoyed watching them! Canada has some promising pairs teams for the future and some stellar dance teams!

Some random thoughts about the pairs event:
I couldn't believe how much Walsh / Michaud improved since the GP. Much as I really like MTM and am a fan of their Pink Floyd FP, Walsh / Michaud stole the show for me.

i am worried about jinxing them, but I do think MTM's lifts have gotten more stable. I'm hoping their FP continues to grow as they get more comfortable with this style, which is very different for them.

Ruest / Wolfe had a scary lift moment, but hopefully they'll have a much better 4CCs.

Matte / Ferland were a pleasant surprise for me. I especially enjoyed their SP.

Brasseur / Bardei look like a team to watch. And wow that twist! They should be in a "twist off" with Tarasova / Morozov! :laugh: She seems to have a spark, and he has a calmness and strength about him.

So grateful to the video posters for the SP and the stream posters for the FP. :thank:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brasseur and Bardei are my new find of the Canadian nationals I think. Their triple twist is one of the best in the world. Skate Canada should send all of their pairs to whoever taught B&B their twist.

Either Tracy or Rod quoted the pair as saying that their twist came quite easily to them right away, apparently because their twist technique was either the same, or dovetailed nicely. So I guess the credit goes to their former coaches!

On the other hand, their throw jump techniques were different, and they're working through that. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
because evelyn is very tall for a pairs skater and trennt, though he is a strong stocky guy is only about 5 10..

Probably height partially. She's on the taller side for a pairs girl at 163 cm (5'4"), and he's not tall at 176 cm (5'9"). But Trennt is super strong, and a great lifter, which helps.

That's what I thought, and as soon as I thought it, I rewound to see a shot of them standing side by side. They reminded me of Ashley Cain and Timothy Leduc, who have a six inch height difference. And have gotten all kinds of grief about it.

But it seems to me Evelyn and Trennt, like Ashley and Tim, are choosing to accentuate their harmonious, long lines. I'm also wowed by their improvement since the GP! I think that in itself has got to be a powerful testament to attention to strengthening skating skills. Well done.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i am worried about jinxing them, but I do think MTM's lifts have gotten more stable.

I agree. Actually I've been saying that since I saw them in person at SA 2017 in Lake Placid. But I also wonder whether Michael appears stronger and more stable in person than on camera. When I look at him on camera now, he still looks slightly frail, possibly compared to Kirsten, who always looks so strong. But I realize those camera angles can be deceiving. Some skaters, (one in particular I won't name because I've gotten scolded for doing so on a Canadian thread) look bigger, comparatively, on the ice tv camera, but when I see them in person, they're not, and rather are quite tiny.

Michael might be better described as wiry ... and wiry people can be very muscular. I have felt much more confident about M-T/M as a pair since Nov. 2017. I actually love their dynamic together, and that's something I noticed even more in practices than in their performances.

Brasseur / Bardei look like a team to watch. And wow that twist! They should be in a "twist off" with Tarasova / Morozov! :laugh: She seems to have a spark, and he has a calmness and strength about him.

Make it a three-way, with Scimeca Knierim / Knierim! :)