2019 Canadian Nats: Free Dance | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nats: Free Dance

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wp.jpg

Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje, who won two national titles in 2015 and 2016, reclaimed their title on Saturday at the 2019 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships on Saturday. However, the margins were not quite so wide as they had earned in their previous championship wins. Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier who were less than two points behind, earned the silver, while Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen pocketed the bronze.

More...

What are your thoughts on the Free Dance?

Astrid56

Final Flight
Their FD is beautiful but I can't help feeling I'm watching their 2018 Olympic FD ... Were it not for the music, I'd say I'm watching a repeat performance.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'm really glad to see how far Piper and Paul have come. Last year they only beat Kaitlyn and Andrew by 2 pts despite their 7pt lead from the short where Kaitlyn and Andrew botched the twizzles. This season, they lost by one point and won the free when both teams skated well.
Both teams have excellent programs this year, especially their free dances.

Nice to see Laurence and Nikolaj again too, winning the bronze medal. Excited to see them at world's/4CC

Poor Carolane and Shane, hopefully they can get back on track.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Judges got it right I’d say! I really thought Piper/Paul had the super FD, but W/P with more mileage on their FD will keep them as a World medal contender. Really G/P and W/P should be World medal contenders, IMO, but they’ll do well to both end up top 6, and hopefully maintain the 3 spots without too much trouble.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Named to Worlds and 4CCs

Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sørensen

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I'm so excited to see Fournier Beaudry / Sørensen on the podium at their first Canadian Nationals! What a great welcome from their new home country. :luv17:

LadyB

Record Breaker
It was one of the most riveting dance offs in a while. I cannot, and definitely would not want to, fault WeaPos for the extraordinary dance team that they are, but I'm so totally over the moon that Piper & Paul keep closing the gap, and even winning the FD! They are absolutely special to me and I love them for some seasons now. I wish them a wonderful future, they've been waiting a long time, and hope they'll lead the Canadian team to the next Olympics. I was in tears watching their FD, it is not just beautifully performed, but also 100% emotional. :luv17:

andromache

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see G/P and W/P face off at 4CCs and Worlds. It's hard to say how the international judges will score W/P, but G/P didn't gain much momentum during the Grand Prix, so anything could happen.

It's impressive how strong of an outing W/P had here after taking the first half of the season off, but they're experienced enough that shows probably benefit them just as much, if not more, than competition. And skating with V/M for so long may have helped too.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have to admit that Starry, starry night is really something. The kind of dance that brings tears (but in a good way, the dance just touches and moves me). Original, emotional, well executed and without the sexy stuff that I am getting a bit fed up with. Hurrah for Piper and Paul!