What Happened to TSL? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What Happened to TSL?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
TSL (and Christine Brennan) were merely reporting what was already in the public domain. That a coach had been given a restriction, and following suspension, from SafeSport. There was no accusation of guilt. There was no accusation of sexual misconduct. There was no revealing of the accusers' identities. There was reporting of there being allegations against a coach, who has now died. It's a damned shame that people who are trying to cast light on what are very probably issues of culture, abuse and behavioural appropriateness are now being lambasted and receiving death threats, the very kind now threatening to derail cultural change within a sport which attracts the similar kind to gymnastics. The very kind that could have silenced the survivors of Larry Nasser's abuse.

This says it all in my view, quite apart from the whole notion of death threats. That last remains disgusting, and regrettably also says something about our culture. Not something good.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
And on the other hand, if SafeSport does indeed end up calling off the investigation because of John's death they also send out the message that suicide is a way to clear your name. Horrible on all sides.

Also, did you see the USFS twitter about coverage of the investigation on their site?: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1087773951609262080

Out of sight/site, out of mind. :disapp:

John´s name has not been cleaned with his suicide, if anything only made things even worst, for those yelling that "he kill himself ergo he is guilty". And in both sides are extremist that have been made their bussiness to keep creating damage.

Those that have attacked TSL and Brennan are in the wrong. I don´t agree with the way TSL handle things (and since two years ago I blocked them for all my sm, and have not giving them a click), but they don´t deserve threats in social media.
Those harassing skaters/coaches, fans posting and donating or making sympathy message to John´s family are also not right either. The so called list is a form of harassement that should also not happenning. Who named them the grief police?

No action can right this mess, and no matter the actions taken the alleged victims (yes, as long as the process is not finish with a veredict of John´s guilty these continue to be allegations), John and the skating comunnity will never have a satisfactory clossing to this situation.

On a personal note if I see harassement on either site I will be reporting them.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Once again, we've asked that the accused not be mentioned in other areas of the board until further information comes to light. We understand he is not the "topic" but that is where the thread has been going.

While John Coughlin's name has been removed from the U.S. Center for SafeSport of recent interim measures, we will continue to monitor and await any further investigation(s) that may take place.

Last edited by a moderator: