2019 Europeans: Pairs SP | Golden Skate

2019 Europeans: Pairs SP

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
jc.jpg

Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres of France took the lead after the Pairs' Short Program at the 2019 European Figure Skating Championships on Thursday night. Russia's Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov are in second with Italy's Nicole Della Monica and Matteo Guarise close behind.
"It's very promising going into worlds, because we lost a lot of levels," said James. "We had level threes in everything and it should be a level four. It's a season's best and we're very happy. I think it comes with experience. We are a team that's been skating for eight years now. I think with a little bit of mileage and more experience getting a few medals has helped. I think any team needs time and experience knowing how to compete. We look different. We're not the regular pair team."

More...

What are your thoughts on the Pairs SP?

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Great Euros debut for B/K!

At least one team is carrying the Russian flag up high and not like a limp fish!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I loved watching B/K today. They're such a lovely pair. A pity K didn't get all enthusiastic this time, that's always so much fun to watch. Perhaps after the Free if they (hopefully) skate well again. Perhaps even a medal? After their GP season which was solid but not great (no Final alas), it would be such a nice result for them. They're young but definitely don't look like juniors in their skating.

So so pleased J/C skated their short well today - even if they lost some levels. It's a beautiful programme and they show off such beautiful lines. Rooting for them to skate even better tomorrow with that wonderful FS of theirs. I would be so happy if they could achieve a European Crown.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's interesting that all season, James and Cipres have been skating like the champions they are. That sort of confidence and gravitas has been a long time coming for them. I like that Vanessa credited their better performance with a long, eight-year partnership. They're doing better in the new system, because they seem to have set aside, at least for a time, their efforts to put a quad throw in the competition. So they feel confident in all their elements, and it shows. I'm really looking forward to their free skate ... the program, choreographed by Charlie White, has that thrill factor. Not like big thrills or "please notice this element" but more a quiet thrilling buzz. I am getting chills just remembering it.

Oddly enough, Tarasova and Morozov seem to be playing catch-up this season, like they're the ones chasing J/C. Well, I guess it's because they have been! But they always get stronger as the season goes. I look forward to all the pairs' free skates. And I do love B/K very much. They have that classical look and style ... and added onto it, quite a spark .... which is so typical of a Moskvina team! But of course the spark is all their own. :)

QuadThrow

Medalist
Although there are just eleven pairs the competition was quite fun. You are right, James/Cipres smashed it like champions and the path to the world title is definitly open. Just imagine they would have retired after the Olympics.:angry1: Evgenia Tarasova´s single jumps really begin to be a serious problem. They usually lose it in the second element. Vladimir is a really consistent skater. Della-Monica/Guarise were super strong and I wish them to stay in third. Europeans with only just one Russian medal are not widely spread.

Hase/Seegert really impressed me with everything except their stupid falls:shame:. IMO they deserved more then some 6s (even 5s) in PCS.

bobbob

Medalist
For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of J/Cs short program. I think their long program is much better. I would have T/M a little bit higher on skating skills and I think their PCS should be switched. B/K were really good, I thought they were much stronger than D-M/G, though both teams skated well.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It’s quite nice that everyone qualified. I understand why we have the qualification system but it’s nice to see everyone’s Free on the big stage too.