Alina's half on/half off tights are back | Golden Skate

Alina's half on/half off tights are back

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I noticed that earlier in the season, she had ditched the thick, non-skintone matching half on/half off tights in favor of a more natural look. But.....looks like the much maligned tights are back.

First of all, what are they? (OTB tights that she doesn't pull all the way over? Ankle tights that she pulls down?). I didn't think they actually made tights that are made to cover exactly half of your boot.

I really hate them....I think it spoils the beauty of her costumes. its like I want to say either get full OTB tights or just end them at your ankles (like Alaine Chartrand).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I noticed that earlier in the season, she had ditched the thick, non-skintone matching half on/half off tights in favor of a more natural look. But.....looks like the much maligned tights are back.

First of all, what are they? (OTB tights that she doesn't pull all the way over? Ankle tights that she pulls down?). I didn't think they actually made tights that are made to cover exactly half of your boot.

I really hate them....I think it spoils the beauty of her costumes. its like I want to say either get full OTB tights or just end them at your ankles (like Alaine Chartrand).

They're Mondor practice tights that are too long and instead of them being in her boots she pulls them down over. I hate it and it doesn't look professional and clean for lines.

Alaine at least has hers in her boots under her bungas but I'm pretty sure they move up and that's why it looks like they end at her boots.

ETA: I'll point out I don't like the look on anyone; this is nothing against Alina.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
The half-boot tights on ANY girl drives me nuts. Either wrap 'em up completely, or my fave, let those pretty white booties show!!

Watch

Final Flight
Maybe she's wearing them so that people don't speculate about the tape on her knees?

Yeah, I'm not sure why the tights over boots are necessary, but I think the thick tights are there to hide the tapes underneath.

I don't really mind the look, though. I like it better when the boots aren't covered, but in the end it's not something I pay attention to during the program at all.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I was so glad when she ditched them in the beginning of this season. She has very beautiful lines and her costume is beautiful as well... I know it‘s on a shallow note but these yellow, over the boot tights just kind of ruin the look for me. I wish she‘d either have them in the skates or at least cover then completely. I don‘t know... for me it‘s a “junior“ look and makes one seem younger and not as experienced. It‘s probably a very subjective thing but I wish she‘d ditch them again. But whatever makes her feel comfortable, I guess...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For some reason I think the tights over the boots might be Eteri's secret weapon somehow :laugh: most of her girls do it.

It looks terrible honestly, but..having seen masking tape on the boots of other skaters I really can't figure out which is worse!

Hmmm, no, still over or half-over the boot tights, who came up with that look, they should be reported for crimes against fashion.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
For some reason I think the tights over the boots might be Eteri's secret weapon somehow :laugh: most of her girls do it.

It looks terrible honestly, but..having seen masking tape on the boots of other skaters I really can't figure out which is worse!

Hmmm, no, still over or half-over the boot tights, who came up with that look, they should be reported for crimes against fashion.

They are pretty noticeable and I agree look unprofessional. But I suspect she is taping her boots significantly at the top to make them tighter and this is to hide it. And potentially may be using that kineseo tape (or whatever it’s called) for extra support and doesn’t want to deal with the speculation.

pesto

On the Ice
It's to hide the tiny motors they've installed in the ankle of her boots to assist her jumping.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Alina has some of my favorite costumes of all the ladies. WHY, with the half-on/half-off tights?

I can't remember the last time I saw a non-beginner female figure skater practice without leggings and or leg warmers half-on her boots. To me, tights like that just look like the skater forgot to change out of her practice gear.

It's to hide the tiny motors they've installed in the ankle of her boots to assist her jumping.

If you'll excuse a little off-topic fangirling, I'm still waiting for it to eventually come out where they hide/hid the motors on Eteri's girls (those jumps! :love:), and Daisuke Takahashi and Denis Ten (those step/choreo sequences! :love:), and if Yuzuru Hanyu's and Carolina Kostner's blades are actually superconductors hovering slightly above the ice (those skating skills! :love:).

melgirl25

Medalist
Alina has some of my favorite costumes of all the ladies. WHY, with the half-on/half-off tights?

I can't remember the last time I saw a non-beginner female figure skater practice without leggings and or leg warmers half-on her boots. To me, tights like that just look like the skater forgot to change out of her practice gear.

If you'll excuse a little off-topic fangirling, I'm still waiting for it to eventually come out where they hide/hid the motors on Eteri's girls (those jumps! :love:), and Daisuke Takahashi and Denis Ten (those step/choreo sequences! :love:), and if Yuzuru Hanyu's and Carolina Kostner's blades are actually superconductors hovering slightly above the ice (those skating skills! :love:).

It looked okay with the Phantom Dress because it sort of has this ballet look to it, but with the Carmen dress will look worse.

I think she is wearing some black tape in her boot, I saw it peeking out once. Probably she switched to cover that and the tape.

enzet

On the Ice
I can't even express how I HATE that look on anybody!!!:curse:
Seriously, there should be a deduction or something for this. Whoever in their right mind could think that this actually looks good?

Either tuck the tights in the boot or pull them completely over the boot but NOTHING in between, please.

I noticed some Japanese ladies started doing it too this season and I seriously hope it's not becoming a trend.

:hpull:

melgirl25

Medalist
I don't mind it. It has a ballet look to it. What I don't like is tights over the WHOLE boot :drama:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
A deduction for these tights ... LOL

Whatever Alina feels comfortable wearing is fine!

DenissVFan

Medalist
Does she had them? I don´t notice it on the pictures?

Maybe she is just more confortable with those and wearing it that way

She had taped legs in previous competitions and people started speculating about injuries. Some pointed out that she wore tape last year too but it went mostly unnoticed because it was less noticeable because of the thicker tights.

It may be just for comfort but these tights in general cover tape better.