Alina's half on/half off tights are back | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alina's half on/half off tights are back

LoopCombo

Rinkside
When I saw the tights, I thought: these are her lucky tights! She won the Olympics wearing them and is wearing them now as a good luck charm. Athletes can be superstitious. Michael Jordan used to always wear a pair of North Carolina Tar Heels shorts (his college uniform) under his Chicago Bulls shorts for good luck. I find the over-the-boot look worse. These have a ballet leg warmer quality to them.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
For some reason I think the tights over the boots might be Eteri's secret weapon somehow :laugh: most of her girls do it.

It looks terrible honestly, but..having seen masking tape on the boots of other skaters I really can't figure out which is worse!

Hmmm, no, still over or half-over the boot tights, who came up with that look, they should be reported for crimes against fashion.

Alena Kostornaia doesn’t do it and I love that about her.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Maybe she's wearing them so that people don't speculate about the tape on her knees?

If that was the case they make the same tights with feet in them that would go in her boots and you wouldn't notice the difference anyway. That is what most skaters wear. There would be no discussion of taped legs or ankles etc because you wouldn't see it.

melgirl25

Medalist
When I saw the tights, I thought: these are her lucky tights! She won the Olympics wearing them and is wearing them now as a good luck charm. Athletes can be superstitious. Michael Jordan used to always wear a pair of North Carolina Tar Heels shorts (his college uniform) under his Chicago Bulls shorts for good luck. I find the over-the-boot look worse. These have a ballet leg warmer quality to them.

But would those tights still fit her? Since she grown so much and is longer? Having had to wear them unfortunately, I know that they rip easily.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They look like HORSE HOOFS. Why do skaters want to look as if they are part centaur?

But would those tights still fit her? Since she grown so much and is longer? Having had to wear them unfortunately, I know that they rip easily.

But then again, Michael Jordan bulked up so much after his college days, I don't see how he could squeeze into those North Carolina shorts, either. :)

Seruleane

Final Flight
Seriously? We need a whole thread devoted to this? Good thing Alina is no longer on social media/internet.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They look like HORSE HOOFS. Why do skaters want to look as if they are part centaur?

I enjoy seeing these comments. It’s always amusing watching an older generation baffled by the younger generation and their trends..

I’m probably somewhere in between but I admit I fully prefer the half boot look the most. It feels better too as a skater when you look down and don’t see your whole boot “clomping around”. My coaching pants would drive you absolutely nuts because you can hardly see my blades :laugh:

Fluture

Record Breaker
I enjoy seeing these comments. It’s always amusing watching an older generation baffled by the younger generation and their trends..

I’m probably somewhere in between but I admit I fully prefer the half boot look the most. It feels better to as a skater when you look down and don’t see your whole boot “clomping around”. My coaching pants would drive you absolutely nuts because you can hardly see my blades :laugh:

I am part of this younger generation yet I absolutely do not understand this trend. But then again, I‘m someone who prefers skating skills and beautiful footwork to quad jumps so my figure-skating-mind might belong to the old generation after all. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am part of this younger generation yet I absolutely do not understand this trend. But then again, I‘m someone who prefers skating skills and beautiful footwork to quad jumps so my figure-skating-mind might belong to the old generation after all. :laugh:

Well to be fair the quad craze was initiated by the older generation. These kids just have a better style :devil:

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I'm not a fan of it, but I way prefer it to the full over the boot look. It does admittedly lengthen her lines.

1904sk8

On the Ice
I saw Alissa Liu with the half tights and I think it might be something that now anyone who can jump does??

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I REALLY hate is dirty white boots. I forget who it was at Euros, but the camera kept focusing on her feet, and her boots were FILTHY.:eekn: