Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019-20 USFS changes qualifying pipeline

avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Re the new TES minimums, per the USFS 2018-19 Combined Report of Action (p. 16):

70. APPROVED the following Required Minimum Technical Element Scores (combined short program/rhythm dance and free skate/free dance) to compete in the championship (senior) events at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in the 2019-20 season: 65.0 for ice dance, 68.0 for pairs, 75.0 for ladies and 92.0 for men.

(I think someone in a GS thread a while back was asking what exactly the minimums would be, but I don't remember which thread.)

ETA (on May 24):

The TES minimums now have been published in USFS Technical Notification 229 as well:

https://www.usfigureskating.org/cont...mpionships.pdf (May 23)

Off topic for this thread, but I also was interested to read this new language in the Combined Report of Action (p. 10):

ICR 3.01 International Committee
    A. … The goals of the International Committee are:
    1. To select athletes and teams that win the maximum number of medals at ISU competitions in the current season.
    2. For Team USA to earn the maximum number of berths at ISU championship events.
    3. To identify the best qualified future prospects for achieving podium results at World Championships and Olympic Winter Games and support them by strategically providing international experience.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    I like the new language, even if overly optimistic since our pairs and ladies are still in the developmental phase. As for the new pipeline, I like it because those who are very talented but suffer from the late-season syndrome actually have an opportunity at qualifying for Nationals. Also, since the levels below Junior will not be at Nationals, I think they should increase the amount of people who qualify to Nationals based on Sectionals.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by natsulian View Post
    I like the new language, even if overly optimistic since our pairs and ladies are still in the developmental phase. As for the new pipeline, I like it because those who are very talented but suffer from the late-season syndrome actually have an opportunity at qualifying for Nationals.
    What do you mean by "late-season syndrome"?

What National Qualifying Series pipeline will help is skaters at all levels who skate very well in at least one summer competition but might have a bad day at regionals. So they'll have more than one opportunity to qualify for Sectionals. And the sectional fields will be larger.

Also, since the levels below Junior will not be at Nationals, I think they should increase the amount of people who qualify to Nationals based on Sectionals.
    Well, the junior events will be larger because they will also invite the top 2 novice men and ladies from each section to compete junior at Nationals. There should be up to 18 entries (or more, pending JGPF byes) in the junior events.

Senior events will still be in the 18- to low-20s range, 12 from sectionals and all same byes as before based on last year's placements or fall internationals. There might actually be fewer, given the introduction of minimum technical scores. But those won't keep out anyone who is nationally competitive this season and who does otherwise qualify.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    What do you mean by "late-season syndrome"?

What National Qualifying Series pipeline will help is skaters at all levels who skate very well in at least one summer competition but might have a bad day at regionals. So they'll have more than one opportunity to qualify for Sectionals. And the sectional fields will be larger.

Well, the junior events will be larger because they will also invite the top 2 novice men and ladies from each section to compete junior at Nationals. There should be up to 18 entries (or more, pending JGPF byes) in the junior events.

Senior events will still be in the 18- to low-20s range, 12 from sectionals and all same byes as before based on last year's placements or fall internationals. There might actually be fewer, given the introduction of minimum technical scores. But those won't keep out anyone who is nationally competitive this season and who does otherwise qualify.
    By late-season syndrome, I’m referring to those who do well during the beginning of the season, but lose steam as the season progresses. For example, a few skaters who were in top novices last season failed to qualify for Nationals this year as juniors even though they had respectable to great scores during the summer. By enabling these skaters to have multiple opportunities to qualify, one bad skate at regionals will no longer determine whether or not they make it to Sectionals should they skate well during the summer. Everyone has those days where the jumps just aren’t there, so I’m glad the skaters will now have multiple opportunities to qualify now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12