John Nicks Bio/Photo, etc. | Golden Skate

John Nicks Bio/Photo, etc.

jesslily

Final Flight
So John Nicks is a coach who has a remarkable competition history himself. I would like to know how many coaches from well--known to new comers can match his credentials. Plus his parents were athelets. No wonder Sasha mentioned her coach still could jump rope.
John Nicks talked about he has been enjoying deep sea fishing in the current USFSA news page article. I guess he is very healthy to resume his coaching of elite skaters.

IDLERACER

Medalist
When Sasha came in 4th place at the Olympics, that must've been a real feeling of Deja Vu for him, having just missed the podium himself 50 years earlier. :unsure:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Wel, how about that! Here I thought he was old. :rofl: He was born the same day I was. :rock: :party:

S

SkateFan4Life

jesslily said:
So John Nicks is a coach who has a remarkable competition history himself. I would like to know how many coaches from well--known to new comers can match his credentials. Plus his parents were athelets. No wonder Sasha mentioned her coach still could jump rope.
John Nicks talked about he has been enjoying deep sea fishing in the current USFSA news page article. I guess he is very healthy to resume his coaching of elite skaters.

John Nicks won the 1953 World pairs title with his late sister, Jennifer. They also won two World bronze and one World silver medal.

The late Carlo Fassi (coach of Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Robin Cousins, and John Curry) was a former elite-level skater who represented Italy.

Frank Carroll was a competitive skater, although he did not advance to the top of US men's skating.

Kristy Ness (Kristi Yamaguchi's coach) was a US Nationals competitor, but she never qualified for the World Team.

Priscilla Hill, Johnny Weir's coach, was the 1981 US silver medalist, and she finished 7th in the Worlds that year.

One of the coaches at my local rink, Steven Rice, was a US National level competitor for a number of years. He did not qualify for the World or Olympic teams, however, and he skated with Ice Capades before joining the sports complex as one of their head coaches.

So John Nicks is a coach who has a remarkable competition history himself. I would like to know how many coaches from well--known to new comers can match his credentials.
Well, there is Carol Heiss (Jenkins), coach of Tonya Kwiatkowski :love: and Tim Goebel. She won five world championships and two Olympic medals, including gold in 1960.

She is also the only figure skater ever to star in a Three Stooges movie. Buy it here for $8.84.

Mathman ;)

IDLERACER

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Frank Carroll was a competitive skater, although he did not advance to the top of US men's skating.
He did perform with the 1963 edition of The Ice Follies, however. Click HERE to view a program from the show, where his name apparently appears higher on the bill than Jill Shipstad's, Ina Bauer's and even Mr. Frick's! :rock:

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
Well, there is Carol Heiss (Jenkins), coach of Tonya Kwiatkowski :love: and Tim Goebel. She won five world championships and two Olympic medals, including gold in 1960. Mathman ;)

Absolutely! Carol Heiss won five World titles, the Olympic silver medal in 1956 and the Olympic gold medal in 1960.

Tamara Moskvina won the World silver medal in pairs in 1969 with her partner Alexsei Mishin.