Stars on Ice US Tour | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice US Tour

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Mirai Nagasu, Bradie Tennell, Vincent Zhou and Jeremy Abbott have been added to the cast! They are joining Nathan Chen, Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Maia and Alex Shibutani, Ashley Wagner, Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue, and Jason Brown. Though Nathan and Jason will not be appearing in all shows.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’ve always wondered why SOI USA only has American skaters. Obviously they’d be the main draw but there aren’t any foreign skaters the American public want to see?

Actually now that I think about it it makes sense. The US Championships are the most publicised skating tournament in America.

Is anyone here planning on going?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I’ve always wondered why SOI USA only has American skaters. Obviously they’d be the main draw but there aren’t any foreign skaters the American public want to see?

Actually now that I think about it it makes sense. The US Championships are the most publicised skating tournament in America.

Is anyone here planning on going?

SOI used to have skaters from everywhere....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_on_Ice

Once upon a time there was a tour called "Champions on Ice" that did have skaters from all over the world also. And IIRC they skated under real lights, not "show lights". My first live show was in Spokane way before the turn of the century. I fell in lust with Anjelika Krylova. :love: I got to sit on a park bench with her outside the secondary venue at Nats San Jose not too long ago...I dont think she remembered me....:laugh2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
SOI used to have the top skaters in the world on the US tour.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
SOI used to have the top skaters in the world on the US tour.

My wife and I would always buy seats "on the ice" so we could talk to and shake hands with our favorites....then, I found out about competition and went to the dark side....:devil:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mirai Nagasu, Bradie Tennell, Vincent Zhou and Jeremy Abbott have been added to the cast! They are joining Nathan Chen, Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Maia and Alex Shibutani, Ashley Wagner, Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue, and Jason Brown. Though Nathan and Jason will not be appearing in all shows.

Interesting since their are more shows probbably Davis and White will make more than Virtue and Moir. What happened to Adam Rippon?So many ice dance teams and yet no Chock and BAtes.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting since their are more shows probbably Davis and White will make more than Virtue and Moir. What happened to Adam Rippon?So many ice dance teams and yet no Chock and BAtes.

Though I guess if they do their own show they will ge more of the profits still interesting.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I’m going April 27th in Providence!!

Let us know how the crowds are. Last time they came to Spokane they were very light. I went so I could take my wife to see skating with her but I liked the old days when the tours had oh so many wonderful skaters from around the world....I am glad it is still alive so it can make some bucks for the skaters and supply some "live time" for those of us that cant make comps.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Virtue and Moir aren't even touring with SOI in Canada this year because they have their own, better tour. Also, Adam has bigger ventures than skating in shows right now.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Its none of my business but it would be interesting to know the economics for the promoters and skaters. In days of yore it was a real grind...there were many shows and many stops and you rode a bus....Now, with so few shows, I dont know how its done or how lucrative it is for the skaters....especially if they have other irons in the fire....Doesnt Adam do the tours in other countries?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Its none of my business but it would be interesting to know the economics for the promoters and skaters. In days of yore it was a real grind...there were many shows and many stops and you rode a bus....Now, with so few shows, I dont know how its done or how lucrative it is for the skaters....especially if they have other irons in the fire....Doesnt Adam do the tours in other countries?

Depending on logisitics of each tour, they ride the bus for some of it, others they fly. Depends on distance and how the tour is set up.

Adam isn't skating much if at all publicly (as in, shows).

Once upon a time there was a tour called "Champions on Ice" that did have skaters from all over the world also. And IIRC they skated under real lights, not "show lights". My first live show was in Spokane way before the turn of the century. I fell in lust with Anjelika Krylova. :love: I got to sit on a park bench with her outside the secondary venue at Nats San Jose not too long ago...I dont think she remembered me....:laugh2:

I hate to be shallow, but Anjelika Krylova got more beautiful with every passing year. Here she is in 2014. She coached in Detroit from 2008 to 2018.

http://st.kp.yandex.net/images/actor_iphone/iphone360_1709433.jpg

The cool thing about Champions on Ice was that although they featured and promoted the current Olympic and World Champions, the real stars of the show were the old crowd-pleasing regulars that came back year after year. Victor Petrenko (my wife's main figure skating interest :laugh: ), Rudy Galindo, Surya Bonaly, the acrobats Besedin and Polishchuk and the hula hoop girl Irina Grigorian. Great family show Something for everyone. Tom Collins was elected to the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 1998 (along with Kristi Yamaguchi).

http://www.windweaver.com/coi2003/grigorian91605.jpg

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're going to the Hershey, PA show in late April (the closest venue for us). Looking forward to it, of course, but we do miss the days when SOI had an international cast! We've been attending SOI since 1993!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I’m going to the San Jose show.

While international skaters in the show would be great, there are still more US skaters that I would like to see - such as Chock and Bates, Hawayek and Baker, Tomoki, and I think Mariah with her natural performance ability would be an excellent addition to the cast! She was invited to perform at THE ICE shows last summer in Japan, among a cast including top international skaters.

BeTheLivingProof

Rinkside
Going to the Albany, NY show and I splurged on meet and greet for myself!! Excited to bring my 5 year old who just started private lessons and have her see the best in the US.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I hate to be shallow, but Anjelika Krylova got more beautiful with every passing year. Here she is in 2014. She coached in Detroit from 2008 to 2018.

The cool thing about Champions on Ice was that although they featured and promoted the current Olympic and World Champions, the real stars of the show were the old crowd-pleasing regulars that came back year after year. Victor Petrenko (my wife's main figure skating interest :laugh: ), Rudy Galindo, Surya Bonaly, the acrobats Besedin and Polishchuk and the hula hoop girl Irina Grigorian. Great family show Something for everyone. Tom Collins was elected to the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 1998 (along with Kristi Yamaguchi).

Oh, Mathman...the memories! I am so old I remember the hoop girl and the acrobats....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I see nothing wrong with admiring female beauty...and while there are many beautiful female skaters, sometimes one or the other stands out...there is something about Anjelika...she made the list of the top 18 in this post, BTW...
http://beauty-around.com/en/tops/item/874-most-beautiful-figure-skaters