Landing | Golden Skate

Landing

Cmskater

Spectator
I have a problem with landing my single toeloop. I always land it on the left foot instead of the right. I don't have a coach, but is there anything I can do to land it on one foot?

Summerkid

Rinkside
So, you're landing it on an inside edge on the left foot?

I've never seen that one before. People tend to take a toe loop and turn it into a three turn-toe-waltz jump but you need to think about bringing your right leg through so you have something to land on. Work on a back outside pivot (like in ISI Freestyle 3). In the toe loop, you should go through the position of a short back outside pivot, bring the right leg through and jump. Don't forget the left leg. It makes a motion very similar to the landing (and landing only) of the waltz jump. Without seeing what you're actually doing, that would be my advice.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I don't have a coach

Cmskater-before you go off and start doing jumps the wrong way it might be better to wait and get a coach or take a group lesson. It's harder to undo bad technique. The next best thing to do is get a book on figure skating. For example "Figure Skating For Dummies" is a good one to explain jumping technique.

Make sure you are starting with a right inside three turn. Then reach back with the free leg (left) and kick your toe pick in the ice. Spin counterclockwise (to the left) and bring your arms in. Land on the back outside edge of the right foot letting the free leg swing behind you (don't touch the ice with it).

Glacierskater

On the Ice
True words were never typed. It is so hard to go back and unlearn wrong technique. Even a 15 minute lesson can keep you from technical disater.

dlkksk8fan said:
Cmskater-before you go off and start doing jumps the wrong way it might be better to wait and get a coach or take a group lesson. It's harder to undo bad technique. The next best thing to do is get a book on figure skating. For example "Figure Skating For Dummies" is a good one to explain jumping technique.

Make sure you are starting with a right inside three turn. Then reach back with the free leg (left) and kick your toe pick in the ice. Spin counterclockwise (to the left) and bring your arms in. Land on the back outside edge of the right foot letting the free leg swing behind you (don't touch the ice with it).

ceg15

On the Ice
Yeah, a coach would probably be a big help and could teach you the proper way and tell you what you're doing wrong. Good luck! :)