Russia selects slate for world team | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Russia selects slate for world team

readernick

Medalist
Didn't the RusFed clearly say earlier that the composition of the Worlds team would be based on the performance of the girls at Euros (Alina, Sofia and Stanislava) and the alternates at RCF (Liza and Evgenia). Fans and followers can disagree about the outcome (a lot do, and they are entitled to feel that), but I think the RusFed was actually more transparent than people are making it out to be.

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071002725.html

Yes, the decision was in harmony with the criteria they set after most senior skaters didn’t attend or bombed nationals. Fans can certainly disagree with the system. ( I like a points based system like Spain has that takes into account all competitions). But, they did decide based on Euros and the Russian Cup Final as they said they would.

Lipea

Final Flight
Yes, the decision was in harmony with the criteria they set after most senior skaters didn’t attend or bombed nationals. Fans can certainly disagree with the system. ( I like a points based system like Spain has that takes into account all competitions). But, they did decide based on Euros and the Russian Cup Final as they said they would.

Yeah, haha, except for their Russian cup placement was absolutely ridiculous. Fairly, Medvedeva should've been behind Gubanova, and by no means ahead of Tuktamysheva.

Lipea

Final Flight
If you compare results, the scores have gone like this:

Liza: 206, 202, 203, 219, 215, 188 = an average of 205
Med: 204, 197, 192, 205, 222 = an average of 204

Excluding the RCF, which is a domestic competition, the averages change to:
209 for Liza internationally
199 for Med internationally

So, if taking the season's average into account, the Russian Cup Final is what really made the difference.... Liza certainly did have a case for herself, IMO... :eek:hwell:

Take 188 out please. That dragon trophy is not isu nor cs competition, and does not count anywhere. It was just a training for her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As an ISU competition, it also counts for World Ranking points (although Liza is maxxed out on International points).

sworddance21

On the Ice
Call me crazy, but I'm sad for Liza AND happy for Evgenia - and would have been the reverse had the reverse happened. There were valid arguments to be made both directions. I do think Zhenya's a stronger overall skater. Her programs are more complex, in my opinion. I also think that you can't really base where she may be in March on where she was in September. Certainly Jason Brown is nowhere near the same skater now that he was in September. Similar journey.

readernick

Medalist
Yeah, haha, except for their Russian cup placement was absolutely ridiculous. Fairly, Medvedeva should've been behind Gubanova, and by no means ahead of Tuktamysheva.

All those girls fell so I think their performances were quite equal. Med and Tuk were both overscored in GOE and PCS. respectively. But, I do agree Gubanova was underscored. Not just at the Russian cup final but at Nationals. She truly has great SS , transistions, and musicality. I don’t understand why the Russian national judges consistently underscore her. Love her skating but she was never in contention for a World’s spot.

lizardlass

On the Ice
I'm really bummed for Liza. She has had a great season, and I feel that she deserved a spot on the World team. I thought she should have won the Russian Cup, too. I love Zhenya, and I am happy that she's doing better (and I'll root for her to do awesome at worlds), but ultimately I don't agree with this decision.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
The flame wars and uproar are primarily due to FS fans making assessments based on results and scores they can see while Rusfed made decisions based on some hidden criteria. I am gutted as I do think Liza Tuks completely earned her spot for worlds but alas. I suspect that Rusfed is simply just not convinced she has regained her form after her bout of pneumonia while Zhenya is simply hungry for redemption. They probably maybe betting on Zhenya being offered a lifeline and will be motivated to go lights out. Whatever it is, Rusfed made their choice and hope the girls skate well. If things go pear shape, then they have to live with the consequences. There is no 100% sure wins in life.

I agree with the bolded statement ^ however, Liza and Zhenya were battling for the 3rd spot. So, in the grand scheme of things, whoever is sent as the 3rd person isn't as pressured to win as spots 1 &2.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm really bummed for Liza. She has had a great season, and I feel that she deserved a spot on the World team. I thought she should have won the Russian Cup, too. I love Zhenya, and I am happy that she's doing better (and I'll root for her to do awesome at worlds), but ultimately I don't agree with this decision.

I would have picked Liza over Evgenia also. However, Liza really needed to be perfect with the jumps because she doesn't put the same effort into improving other aspects of her skating like the other top Russian women do. I'm sort of mixed about the result of the last event, but the first part of the season I felt that she did enough to secure a spot.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
I would have picked Liza over Evgenia also. However, Liza really needed to be perfect with the jumps because she doesn't put the same effort into improving other aspects of her skating like the other top Russian women do. I'm sort of mixed about the result of the last event, but the first part of the season I felt that she did enough to secure a spot.

unfortunately, the first part of the season isn't enough to send someone to worlds. The criteria is Russ Nats, Europeans and RCF for alternates. Liza only came to RCF. I feel like if Liza skated really good at dragon, she would have had the edge at RCF.

Amei

Record Breaker
Didn't the RusFed clearly say earlier that the composition of the Worlds team would be based on the performance of the girls at Euros (Alina, Sofia and Stanislava) and the alternates at RCF (Liza and Evgenia). Fans and followers can disagree about the outcome (a lot do, and they are entitled to feel that), but I think the RusFed was actually more transparent than people are making it out to be.

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071002725.html

Except the RCF is a national competition where favor with the Fed can prop a skater up and keep a skater down. But this is something that fans need to get used to because theoretically next year you have easily 7 skaters: Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya, Zagitova, Samodurova, Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva all competing for 3 Worlds spots, and that's not accounting for some surprise skaters like Samodurova did this year. That's a lot of skaters for not enough spots and the Rus Fed might get ulcers dealing with who to leave on and off the Worlds teams for the foreseeable future.

Regarding this year's selection the 2 alternate skaters that got left off Worlds each had the opportunity to solidly their position where Medvedeva wouldn't have been able to get the spot with her RCF performances.
- Elizaveta could have been more consistent on the 3A and skated clean at Dragon Trophy
- Konstantinova could have skated clean at Euros, she most likely would have medaled, possibly beating Zagitova, and like Samudurova would have made removing her from the Worlds team more difficult to do.