Russia selects slate for world team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russia selects slate for world team

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Tukt should go but I think it's awful the vitriol Stanislava is getting and even worse to have her as a placeholder. Like, why not just put Tukt or Med as a placeholder and save Stanislava the indignity of having to be removed?

Why even have a deadline to submit entries at all if later on you swap people out due to "injury" or some other excuse? Seems pointless.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I wonder how free the shuffling can be once a list of entries is submitted. Can they just replace a main entry with a substitute without justification necessary like it happens in the Junior GP circuit, or can changes only be made due to special circumstances like injuries?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ok, and I'm also saying that she might not deserved to go there. But why to set her up like that? Why just not to announced real list without making all that huge drama? Besides...I really don"t understand how on earth Medvedeva earned that spot which Konstantinova didn"t...
I think other posters and RUSFED sort of explained - they had put something down because they need more time to actually decide. It is a placard, just to meet the requirements and not get disqualified.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Even though Alina is having a bit of a rough season I still think she did more for the RusFed this season than Medvedeva.
Just a simple comparison: Alina won her senior B, won both her GP assingments and qualified for the GPF where she got silver, then she bombed Nats, and kind of bounced back in Euros where, yes, she had lost to Sofia, but still got silver (even though her score was really low). Whereas Medvedeva got silver from her senior B, then got bronze at one and was off podium in the other, which resulted in her not even qualifying for the Final. The Russian Cup was the first comp Evgenia won this season and got a good score.

The only reason I could see for not sending Alina and giving the spot to Evgenia instead is that the latter seems to be gettting the momentum and the former losing it gradually. I know three spots for Russian ladies are on the line so maybe it would be smart to send Liza, Med and Sofia after all :) tough call for RusFed indeed. The only way they can handle it gracefully is to 'make' Alina WD due to injury. Then Zhenya is in and 3 spots have more chances of survival ;)
I am also assuming that Liza gets the spot instead of Stasya of course, but honestly that just HAS to be obvious…

Also I have to say it is kind of weird seeing Alina bomb this much latetly, she really does have great practices, seems to be on fire every time. Maybe it's really the comp nerves that destroy her...

Alina definitely has done more for Russia this season than for example Evgenia but the issue is how will she do at worlds and her last two freeskates at Russiannats and Euros were bad so taht is an issue and wasn't there some injury - not p uberty? Regardless itis what is best for securing three spots for Russia.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wonder how free the shuffling can be once a list of entries is submitted. Can they just replace a main entry with a substitute without justification necessary like it happens in the Junior GP circuit, or can changes only be made due to special circumstances like injuries?

According to rule 378 here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file

A substitute can be put in if the initial entry is withdrawn first. And the isu member has until an hour before the sp draw to do so.

There is no requirement to explain the reason for the withdrawal or it has to be because of injury. A non-controversial example is worlds last season when USFS has entered Jason Brown initially, but then he ultimately w/d and Max Aaron was subbed in a few weeks later.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Does anyone else really not like the lack of a third alt on top of everything?

I could see their shenanigans resulting in only two ladies at worlds.... stranger things have happened.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'm glad that its just a temp list so they dont get disqualified. Clearly they just pasted the european team. So I'd think 100% that will change..hopefully.

Georgya

On the Ice
"Russia pretends to select world team, but in fact just prolongs the agony"
"Russia pretends to select world team, makes us all root for Japan"

If this is the way you're thinking clearly you weren't a fan of the russian ladies to begin with :rofl:

It's not Alina, Sofia or Liza's fault that rusfed couldn't make a decision faster.

There are plenty of fans to root for the japanese ladies and the russian ones!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't understand all the outrage, when it's clearly obvious they are in doubt of who to send. I'm sure they're going to decide the team after the Universiade, when more of the alternates will compete in all disciplines. Most likely things will change after that. Or not.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
According to rule 378 here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file

A substitute can be put in if the initial entry is withdrawn first. And the isu member has until an hour before the sp draw to do so.

There is no requirement to explain the reason for the withdrawal or it has to be because of injury. A non-controversial example is worlds last season when USFS has entered Jason Brown initially, but then he ultimately w/d and Max Aaron was subbed in a few weeks later.

Yes, I remember now that both Ross and Jason declined participation. So Russia has just basically bought itself a bit more time to make their team decision by submitting a list now but allowing themselves to shuffle their entries later. I guess Konstantinova is going to 'decline' participation soon.

Manitou

Medalist
I really, really want Stasya not to allow to be pushed around by Rusfed, but stand up and say: "hey, I am on the official list, I am not injured and I am skating in WC! You guys screwed up, but it's your problem. I am skating! Я катаюсь!"
She has nothing to lose. She knows next season she will be pushed aside anyways, so now it's her time. She can even afford to go all out against Rusfed now.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I really, really want Stasya not to allow to be pushed aside by Rusfed, but stand up and say: "hey, I am on the official list, I am not injured and I am skating in WC! You guys screwed up, but it's your problem. I am skating! Я катаюсь!"
She has nothing to lose. She knows next season she will be pushed aside anyways, so now it's her time. She can even afford to go all out against Rusfed now.

I'd say her answer to that would be a title at the Universiade. If she doesn't manage that, I doubt the Fed would allow her to participate.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm sure they're going to decide the team after the Universiade, when more of the alternates will compete in all disciplines. Most likely things will change after that. Or not.
Watch Sotskova finish ahead of Konstantinova at Universiade, just to make things more interesting!

(Sotskova for the alternate list! After all, she is half the reason Russia even has three spots at Worlds this year.)

Manitou

Medalist
I'd say her answer to that would be a title at the Universiade. If she doesn't manage that, I doubt the Fed would allow her to participate.

She is on the official list as the main event participant. And she is not injured. Does Rusfed have power to kick her out once she is on the ISU list? Can she sue Rusfed?

readernick

Medalist
Obviously this delay is very difficult for the 5 skaters who might still be selected for worlds. It is not fair for them. They must all be upset and nervous. I can understand why fans are so upset. However, figure skaters are used to this. Figure skating, as a sport, is frequently not fair. Skaters have no control of whether a federation favors them or a judging panel scores them fairly. It sucks but it is good training for life which is also not fair.

On the other hand the decision the Rusfed faces has no easy task because each of these skaters has points in their favor and against them. I would not want to be the one making this decision. There is no perfect solution. Unlike 2015-2018 when Russia had a clear frontrunner who won senior nationals ( Liza 2015), (Evgenia 2016,2017), Alina ( 2018). There is no lady who is seemingly assured a place on the WC podium. This means they need to think about who is most likely to get them 3 spots. I can see why they want to delay this decision. But, I am not sure more time will make this decision any clearer.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Watch Sotskova finish ahead of Konstantinova at Universiade, just to make things more interesting!

(Sotskova for the alternate list! After all, she is half the reason Russia even has three spots at Worlds this year.)

with a clean and superb knock-out-the-park skate. :popcorn:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
If this is the way you're thinking clearly you weren't a fan of the russian ladies to begin with :rofl:

It's not Alina, Sofia or Liza's fault that rusfed couldn't make a decision faster.

There are plenty of fans to root for the japanese ladies and the russian ones!

Yes. We root for them equally. Simultaneously. Just for the beauty of the sport. Russian ladies are just a bit easier to relate to and easy to pick the most favorite one (just a bit more favorite than others) since they are so chatty, animate and open about their personalities and lifestyles/interests/pets. We see less TV fluffs on Japanese girls for some reasons. :sad21: Japanese TV alone made more tv fluffs on Eteri for the recent 3 years than on any other Japanese coach at home. :scratch2: