Russia selects slate for world team | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russia selects slate for world team

tofuetoffee

Rinkside
I love Liza, but she just doesn’t have the GOE and PCS potential (besides GOE on jumps) that Evgenia has.

I keep seeing this and it makes me furious. It's basically saying Evgenia was chosen because she is given brownie-reputation points internationally. Basically it's all favoritism, this idea of PCS and GOE cushion no matter what a favorite skater puts out. Liza had no chance at all.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It's basically saying Evgenia was chosen because she is given brownie-reputation points internationally. Basically it's all favoritism, this idea of PCS and GOE cushion no matter what a favorite skater puts out.

Yup! :yes: Welcome to figure skating judging, where 75% of your scoring is based on reputation and only 25% is based on what you actually do on the ice.

That's how it's done in this sport.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
And Liza's low score on Dragon trophy was obviously a fluke when she was not 100% recovered. She gotten back to her form since.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't agree with Evgenia going. Her early season was just dismal, and she wasn't thaaaaat great at the Russian Cup Final. If anyone, I thought Konstantinova should've been swapped for Tuk, but I still would've chosen Konstantinova over Med.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I don't agree with Evgenia going. Her early season was just dismal, and she wasn't thaaaaat great at the Russian Cup Final. If anyone, I thought Konstantinova should've been swapped for Tuk, but I still would've chosen Konstantinova over Med.

I agree with you sadly. Liza soo deserves to go

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
If you compare results, the scores have gone like this:

Liza: 206, 202, 203, 219, 215, 188 = an average of 205
Med: 204, 197, 192, 205, 222 = an average of 204

Excluding the RCF, which is a domestic competition, the averages change to:
209 for Liza internationally
199 for Med internationally

So, if taking the season's average into account, the Russian Cup Final is what really made the difference.... Liza certainly did have a case for herself, IMO... :eek:hwell:

So Liza’s is 10 above Evgenia’s but they still didn’t pick her...I can imagine not a lot of deep thinking and analysing went into this decision.

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I keep seeing this and it makes me furious. It's basically saying Evgenia was chosen because she is given brownie-reputation points internationally. Basically it's all favoritism, this idea of PCS and GOE cushion no matter what a favorite skater puts out. Liza had no chance at all.

Yeah, Evgenia won’t get the scores she gets nationally at international competitions.

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I’m actually steaming, this won’t be worlds without Liza

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I saw this just as I was heading for bed, so couldn't really process it or comment.

But what the heck?!! How could they do this to Liza?!! I love her skating! Zhenya is a great skater and she's been working hard this season, but I feel she still needs time with the new coaching situation.

Liza deserves that spot! I'm so sad for her and honestly? I'm a lot less interested in watching the Ladies comp at Worlds now.

If she retires because of this...

I do hope Alina, Sofia and Zhenya do well.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
What more could Liza have done to prove her self this season seriously? Not gotten pneumonia?? It’s so unfair! She more then proved herself this season. In most everyone’s eyes Rika is the one to beat at worlds, mostly because of her ability to do triple axels. So why do you then keep your only skater who is also able to do them home?? In favor of a skater who has been struggling all season? It makes zero sense. This is why Evegnia can get so much hate she is given some of the most generous scores and calls then almost any other skater. It’s not her fault personally and it’s not right but she didn’t earn this by results. She earned it by name.

A 3A is meaningless if you give away points elsewhere. Liza frequently gets negative GOE on her 3As, and at the GPF, despite the fact that she medaled, she scored about 18 points less than Rika. Almost all of the difference was in PCS and GOE.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well, there is no result that would made everyone happy.

The committee that voted. I think I read they are coaches? How are they selected? Do we know who was involved in the selection?

Good luck to all people competing and lets hope for a healthy field...

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
The number of votes from the committee...the bias is blatantly obvious.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I mean, duh. If you have a vote of 19 to 7, of course the bias is obvious since it's a landslide win.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The number of votes from the committee...the bias is blatantly obvious.

I can understand your disagreeing with the decision, but without knowing the facts, it’s probably not a good idea to accuse people of bias. Unless you were there, you don’t know why the decision is made.

Lipea

Final Flight
A 3A is meaningless if you give away points elsewhere. Liza frequently gets negative GOE on her 3As, and at the GPF, despite the fact that she medaled, she scored about 18 points less than Rika. Almost all of the difference was in PCS and GOE.

And almost all of that difference are arguable. Still, no question Rika deserved that gold there, while Alina should've been 5th.

Lipea

Final Flight
I'm furious. Such an insanely unfair decision towards Liza.

Speaking straight not Alina, nor Evgenia deserved their spots judging from their performances this season. Alina, although with the highly inflated scores, was on the podium of GPF, so okay.
But why is Evgenia going? She lost fair and square Russian Nationals. Moreover, on RusNats she was put above several athletes who, unlike her, skated clean. That alone must exclude her from the team. Russian Cup Final could make her the first alternate if only. Her performance was so-so, with a fall, flutz, and bunch of URs.

Liza got sick and had to withdraw. No doubt that she would've made the team at RusNats otherwise. The whole season she only fell from 3A, giving several fantastic performances, and having by far the highest BV of all Russian senior ladies. She only fell on 3A here too, and gave a fantastic free WITH pristine 3A.

A very consistent skater with the best lutz, 3A, and currently in a great shape, does not get to get to Worlds?

What is wrong with RusFed? Connections behind Evgenia are that powerful? Does she need this Worlds that badly to get even more antifans from whom she struggles so much this season?

readernick

Medalist

I don’t think it is meaningless. Without it Liza would not be on the podium,ever. She does have low GOE on non-jump elements ( deservedly) and her PCS will never be as high as other top skaters because she is slow and lacks transistions. But,her 3A makes her competitive. Does it make her competitive with a semi- clean Rika? No, because Rika gets high GOE on all elements and higher PCS. ( deservedly— she is fast and has a complex lp) but who is competitive with semi-clean Rika? The Russian juniors are but not any senior skaters this season. All of the other skaters( including Liza) have to be perfect and hope Rika makes enough mistakes to win.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I admire the Russian fed’s decision to choose the team that would cause the most flamewars and chaos.