Source materials on 1980’s figure skating? | Golden Skate

Source materials on 1980’s figure skating?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was wondering if anyone had an advice on books or documentaries that I could find on that time period? I am most interested in 1984 Games, and major competitions prior to that, but I am not sure where to start looking :)

Triple loop

Rinkside
Hi. Gosh, I loved skating in the 1980's esp. the 1984 USA team. Was a big fan of Scott, Elaine, Peter and Kitty, Judy and Michael. I still am to this day. The book titled Skating in America (1921-1996); The 75th Anniversary History of the USFSA is wonderful. I've watched Fire on Ice documentary which is good too. In the late 1980's at a library, I found an entire book with photos about the 1984 Winter Olympics. Currently, I've looked for it but no luck. If you find anything, please let me know. Thank you.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is too bad I didn't keep my term paper for Sports Law - I did it on figure skating. It was 137 pages of writing and another 40 to 50 pages of pictures and graphs. It went into detail about the 80s, 90's and 00's figure skating. It even had an indepth look at the Charter/Human Rights issues of Katarina Witt's costumes and what if anything was Tonya Harding guilty of; a comparison of Liz Manley and Witt's 1988 free skate et al.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I know there were biographies of Scott Hamilton and Torvill and Dean written at the time, as well as later (autobiography in Hamilton's case). Those might be worth tracking down. I'm sure there have been other books by or about other top 80s competitors.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I found K.Witt bio and Great Routines of 1980’s DVD... yay! And a few in-library-only books from ‘88 Olympics. :)

Weathergal

Medalist
I found K.Witt bio and Great Routines of 1980’s DVD... yay! And a few in-library-only books from ‘88 Olympics. :)

You might enjoy this documentary on Jutta Muller, Katarina's Witt's long-time coach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIUrkeMpNk

Frau Muller also coached Annette Potzsch and Jan Hoffmann. The documentary is in German with English subtitles. I thought it was really well done and very interesting,

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I was wondering if anyone had an advice on books or documentaries that I could find on that time period? I am most interested in 1984 Games, and major competitions prior to that, but I am not sure where to start looking :)

Does USFS still have all of their Skating Magazine archives available online to members? I think I remember seeing a few years back that they were scanning them to make them available online. Not sure if they ever rolled that out or, if they did, if they're still offering it. Those magazines have a lot of information, competition reports, profiles of skaters - wish I had kept all of mine. I still have a few issues. I think sometimes they come up on eBay too, or at least they used to.

macy

Record Breaker
Does USFS still have all of their Skating Magazine archives available online to members? I think I remember seeing a few years back that they were scanning them to make them available online. Not sure if they ever rolled that out or, if they did, if they're still offering it. Those magazines have a lot of information, competition reports, profiles of skaters - wish I had kept all of mine. I still have a few issues. I think sometimes they come up on eBay too, or at least they used to.

yes i just looked. all the way back to 1923!!

Triple loop

Rinkside
There is also Skating on Air by Kelli Lawrence; The World Was Our Stage by Doug Wilson; The Sarajevo Olympics by Jason Vuic. I bought these books last year and they covered the 1980's.