ITL Podscats: A Look Into SafeSport And The John Coughlin | Golden Skate

ITL Podscats: A Look Into SafeSport And The John Coughlin

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So In The Loop Podcast overview of the events, the operation of Safe Sport and the reaction of the skating community to the events. And what could happen going ahead.

The research and opinions are very articulated and you can find different points of view, very balanced.

Description of the episode:

This episode contains content which might be triggering for some listeners, including suicide and sexual misconduct. Opinions expressed here are only that of the hosts, in light of the publicly available facts at the time of recording. Any opinions on legal issues expressed in this episode are not to be taken as legal advice and any factual inaccuracies are also unintended.

International Suicide Hotlines: http://ibpf.org/resource/list-international-suicide-hotlines In this episode of In The Loop, Lae (@axelsandwich), Kite (@mossyzinc) and Nina (@yonkaitenpooh) take a look into SafeSport and the John Coughlin case, discussing the timeline of events, SafeSport itself, and the response to the allegations and incidents by the wider skating community.

Full transcript with sources available here: https://www.inthelopodcast.com/news/2019/03/01/episode-27-transcript

IMO. I still hold judgment on John Coughlin culpability or innocence, I would really like a third-party investigation on the events.

But I don´t like any judgment of a personal process of grief, their grieving messages, or if they decide not to speak about the subject. No matter your opinion please don´t go calling people "trash". And please be kind with your opinion and how you communicate it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just starting to look at the transcript, and I am concerned to already see two examples of wording that could be misleading regarding a factual matter.

The original SafeSport interim restriction was undisclosed, and IMO, saying that it was "a restriction on participating in figure skating" is misleading.
Also misleading (IMO), re the original interim restriction: "his eligibility to participate in figure skating was restricted just as an interim measure."

The statement from U.S. Figure Skating (per NBC on Jan 9):
The U.S. Center for SafeSport has published an undisclosed “interim measure – restriction” in a matter involving John Coughlin. The Center has not prohibited or limited Coughlin from taking part in any activity under the Center’s jurisdiction. As the undisclosed matter remains under the Center’s jurisdiction, all inquiries should be directed to the U.S. Center for SafeSport.

ETA:

I now have scanned through the entire transcript, and IMO, the podcast panelists do state some strong subjective/judgmental opinions of their own.

IMO, only parts of the podcast are balanced. Not the podcast as a whole.​

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
There has been no official news released regarding the investigation, so this thread will be closed. Discussions will inevitably lead to comments, statements, opinions, etc of the alleged victim(s) and/or the accused.

Last edited by a moderator: