Past skaters and CoP | Golden Skate

Past skaters and CoP

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
With all the hoopla over CoP, here is a question. Which past skaters do you think would have done very well under CoP, and who would have crashed and burned?

Some skaters who I think would have done well are: Kristi Yamaguchi, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning, Midori Ito, Jill Trenary, Maria Butyrskaya, Caryn Kadavy, Alexei Yagudin, Janet Lynn, Yuka Sato, Brian Orser, Peggy Fleming.

Some who I think would have done poorly (unless they made major improvements):

Elvis Stojko (I don't see much more to his skating than jumps)
Surya "No Basics" Bonaly
Oksana Baiul (two-footed landings, poorly constructed programs)
Nicole Bobek (queen of the flutz)
Tara Lipinski (flutz plus same problem as Elvis)
Sarah Hughes (numerous jump technique problems)

Last edited:

Kuchana

On the Ice
Interesting. Why do you pick Midori? I always thought of her more as a technical skater than the whole package like Kristi had.

I agree with your choices. I also think Chen Lu would have done well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Not just to support my favourite skater, LOL. I honestly believe that Ilia Kulik would have done very well with CoP.

Marjaana

S

SkateFan4Life

Ogre Mage said:
With all the hoopla over CoP, here is a question. Which past skaters do you think would have done very well under CoP, and who would have crashed and burned?

Some skaters who I think would have done well are: Kristi Yamaguchi, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning, Midori Ito, Jill Trenary, Maria Butyrskaya, Caryn Kadavy, Alexei Yagudin, Janet Lynn, Yuka Sato, Brian Orser, Peggy Fleming.

Some who I think would have done poorly (unless they made major improvements):

Elvis Stojko (I don't see much more to his skating than jumps)
Surya "No Basics" Bonaly
Oksana Baiul (two-footed landings, poorly constructed programs)
Nicole Bobek (queen of the flutz)
Tara Lipinski (flutz plus same problem as Elvis)
Sarah Hughes (numerous jump technique problems)

IMHO, some skaters who would have done very well under the COP are:Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Janet Lynn, Jill Trenary, Yuka Sato, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Alexi Yagdin, John Curry, Toller Cranston, Kurt Browning,
Robin Cousins, Oksana Baiul, and Scott Hamilton.

IMHO, some skaters who would have not done well under the COP are:
Maria Butryaskaya (poor landings, stiff legs)
Suraya Bonaly (nothing but jumps, no artistry)
Nicole Bobek (poor jumping and lots of errors)
Tara Lipinski (queen of the flutz and ingenue choreography)
Sarah Hughes (great assortment of jumps, but poor jumping technique)
Elvis Stokjo (great jumps but nothing much in between those jumps)
Charlie Tickner (good jumps but little in the way of presentation)
Jan Hoffman (stiff legs and mediocre technique)

Midori Ito is a question mark to me. Yes, she had great jumps, and she had improved her artistry, but she wasn't up the level, artistically, of some of the other women. However, her jumps would have probably carried the day for her.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would add Todd to the list of skaters whom I think would do well under CoP. Forget about the quad. There are so many more elements to his skating that he does quite well & consistently. :rock:

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Kuchana said:
Interesting. Why do you pick Midori? I always thought of her more as a technical skater than the whole package like Kristi had.

I agree with your choices. I also think Chen Lu would have done well.

Midori would've wiped Kristi away under COP. I think the "complete package" is a term used to describe a skater with a dancer body who can jump. Midori was a MUCH better skater than Kristi: better spinner, deeper edges , more power, more speed and waaaay better jumps. Under COP, the judges couldn't just automatically give Midori a 5.6- 5.7 for presentation just b/c her body is too muscular. Also a mistake wouldn't automatically lose the title so I think she would have felt less pressure.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Midori and CoP

Kuchana said:

Midori was not graceful and she did not have the best line or carriage/posture. But I think she would have done well for many of the same reasons Irina has done well. If you look at Midori's programs, they were chock-full with content. Midori had incredible ice coverage and could have matched Irina power stroke for power stroke. Her spins and edges were good. And her supreme jumping power would have loomed large, even under CoP. For those who remember Ito's glory days, she made even Irina's jumps look small.

I don't think Midori would have destroyed Kristi under CoP though. Yamaguchi would have racked up major points on components scores --Transitions, Performance/Execution, Choreography, and Interpretation. Think of all the difficult jump entrances in her 1992 Malaguena LP, and the seamless choreographic flow and delivery to her Blue Danube SP. Ito had the edge with Skating Skills and would have held her own on Transitions. Plus, Midori would obviously have been way over Kristi on the technical marks (imagine her +GOE on jumps!!!). It would have been close -- just as it was under the 6.0 system.

Last edited: