JGP and JW spots (2019-2020) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

JGP and JW spots (2019-2020)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Technically the one's that scored 3 spots here will get two there.

Not exactly. You have to have a skater on the podium to get 2 Youth Olympic Spots. So USA only gets one for pairs and dance, and Italy gets 2 for men.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year CHINA was the non-European JGP and when they declined to host it, Canada took it.

For next season, it will be USA.

frida80

Record Breaker
Not exactly. You have to have a skater on the podium to get 2 Youth Olympic Spots. So USA only gets one for pairs and dance, and Italy gets 2 for men.

What’s a real shame is that YOG is at the same time as US nationals. Clearly, US won’t prioritize these slots again. Even if they send anyone at all.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
There should be one JGP reserved for NA and one for Asia every year. I get that logistics just make it easier for European events, but alas. JGP Richmond was the first fs event I attended live, and got me to stan Tomoki and Yuma :cool: That definitely wouldn't have happened otherwise. Maybe next year...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What’s a real shame is that YOG is at the same time as US nationals. Clearly, US won’t prioritize these slots again. Even if they send anyone at all.

I have the same concerns for Skate Canada, since our Nationals are also about the same time.

Nirti

Medalist
There should be one JGP reserved for NA and one for Asia every year. I get that logistics just make it easier for European events, but alas.

I agree, but are the asian federations interested enough to host a regular JGP? It's hard enough to find a place for 4 Continents.

In 23 JGP seasons, North America organized 17 events (7 in USA, 6 in Mexico, 4 in Canada), Asia/Oceania 14 events (7 in Japan, 4 in China, 2 in Australia and 1 in Taiwan). South Africa hosted one JGP in 2008.

Organizing one JGP each year in North America would mean rotating between 3 countries, which is feasable.
But in Asia, only Japan has a regular event, Chinese Taipei and Korea don't seem interested into hosting JGP... And we can't count on China nowadays.

By the way, I would happy to see the return of an 8th JGP, and 8 skaters qualified to the final :p

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I agree, but are the asian federations interested enough to host a regular JGP? It's hard enough to find a place for 4 Continents.

In 23 JGP seasons, North America organized 17 events (7 in USA, 6 in Mexico, 4 in Canada), Asia/Oceania 14 events (7 in Japan, 4 in China, 2 in Australia and 1 in Taiwan). South Africa hosted one JGP in 2008.

Organizing one JGP each year in North America would mean rotating between 3 countries, which is feasable.
But in Asia, only Japan has a regular event, Chinese Taipei and Korea don't seem interested into hosting JGP... And we can't count on China nowadays.

By the way, I would happy to see the return of an 8th JGP, and 8 skaters qualified to the final :p

Having a global competition puts great strains on ISU, national federations and LOC's, most would rather not loose good money and events with the stands mostly empty.

Not to mention the environment, CO2 footprint:
Yesterday I learned our (field) hockey teams that participate in the world league have to travel this season: 80000 km for the women, 110000 km for the men. Go figure ;-)

frida80

Record Breaker
I have the same concerns for Skate Canada, since our Nationals are also about the same time.

This is seriously irritating to me. US and Canadian nationals are well know to be in January. I wish organizers had taken that into account when the decided the date.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is seriously irritating to me. US and Canadian nationals are well know to be in January. I wish organizers had taken that into account when the decided the date.

Erm, we're talking about the Junior version of the Olympics, i.e a multi-sport event. So, the IOC have to find a date that suits a whole range of sports, as well as the host city.

The Lausanne 2020 Youth Olympics are being held during the same weeks as Innsbruck 2012. Personally, I thought the February slot that we had for Lillehammer 2016 was better. After all, it meant that the Junior Games were just using the same slot that is used for the Senior Games.

So there must be a reason why the Youth Olympics have reverted back to the Janaury slot for 2020.

But, at least this has made me realise the reason behind something I was complaining about a few days ago in another thread:

The North American Feds are only really interested in the Olympics and the Junior / Senior World Championships. They don't really care about any of the other Majors.

Somewhat perversely, the North American Feds don't seem to care about the Junior equivalent of the Olympics, the Youth Olympics, either. At the first edition in 2012, the Canadians didn't send anybody, and the only recognisable names for the Americans were the Parsons siblings. There was a better representation at the second edition in 2016, but even then there was no Canadian Ladies skater and the American Ladies skater I hadn't seen either before or since.

So, I think with the YOG, it was just a case of the North American Feds being cautious about a new competition. And they are starting to take more notice of it as time goes on.

But now I realise that this was not the case at all. The real reason was that the 2012 Games clashed with Nationals, and the 2016 Games didn't!

CaroLiza_fan

R

rafapab

I posted these in the individual threads but thought it'd be easier to put them all together
Let me know if you spot any errors

You put 1 entry for 6 JGP for France in Ladies but wouldn’t that be 5 JGP ?

Kuzmenko 15ème.

1 entry in 5 events:
ISU Members with Skaters who qualified for the Final Free Dance, but were not placed in the first ten
(10) ISU Members of the previous ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, may enter one
(1) Skater in five (5) events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating.

_________

You put 1 entry for 7 JGP for France in Ice Dance but wouldn’t that be 6 JGP?

Demougeot/Le Mercier 8ème

1 entry in 6 events:
ISU Members placed seven (7) to ten (10) at the previous ISU World Junior Figure Skating
Championships are entitled to enter one (1) Skater in six (6) events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of
Figure Skating in the category concerned.

Nirti

Medalist
ISU members count, not skaters ;)

For ice dance, we count 1. Canada (Lajoie/Lagha #1), 2. Russia (Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov #2), 3. USA (Nguyen/Kolesnik #4), 4. Georgia (Kazakova/Revia #5) and 5. France (Demougeot/Le Mercier #8)
Shevchenko/Eremenko and Ushakova/Nekrasov don't count because one russian team did better, the same for Green/Green for USA

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I really thought Korea could finally get 2 entries in 7 events. For a country with so many talented skaters, they really seem to have trouble at junior worlds.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada

I can suppose most Asian countries might not be interested in holding a JGP, but that Japan doesn't have a de facto spot every year seems incredible to me, considering how popular FS is there. Not like they would have trouble filling the seats and garnering interest, no??? I have no idea.

Nirti

Medalist
I can suppose most Asian countries might not be interested in holding a JGP, but that Japan doesn't have a de facto spot every year seems incredible to me, considering how popular FS is there. Not like they would have trouble filling the seats and garnering interest, no??? I have no idea.

Japan could be interested, they hold JGP regularly (1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2014 and 2016), the problem is more to find another countries to rotate, cuz I don't imagine Japan willing to host a JGP every year?