Flashback to the 1988 Winter Olympics | Golden Skate

Flashback to the 1988 Winter Olympics

S

SkateFan4Life

The Calgary Winter Olympics were one of my all-time favorites. Absolutely outstanding figure skating competitions. 👍 I've enjoyed viewing my videotapes from time to time, and here are my impressions:

The Men's Competiton:
1988 was the "Battle of the Brians". What can I say - it was one of the finest nights of Olympic men's figure skating ever (IMHO, of course). Canadian Brian Orser, the defending World Champion was a slight favorite over the 1986 World Champion, Brian Boitano of the USA. Both Brians skated their hearts out at Calgary, and many of us wish that there could have been two gold medals awarded at that competition.

Orser won the short program and Boitano was second, but with the combined school figures scores, Boitano was in first place going into the long program, with Orser a very close second. Essentially, whoever won the long program would win the gold medal.

Boitano skated to the theme from the television program "Napoleon", and his program featured eight triple jumps, two of which were triple axels. His combinations were a triple axel/double toe and a triple flip/triple toe. All of his jumps were right on, as were his spins. Brian had grown significantly as a skater during the past year, and in working with choregrapher Sandra Bezic, he emerged as an artist. Up until that time, Boitano was known as a great technician but not much of an artist. In fact, Dick Button once described his programs as "artistic wastelands". In Calgary, Boitano put it all together, and he skated a masterful long program. His marks were good, nothing lower than 5.7, and many 5.9s, but the judges were leaving room for Orser, who skated after Boitano.

Orser skated to "The Bolt" and showed off his quick-footed artistry. Brian landed a triple axel/double toe and got off to a strong start. However, in the middle of his program, he fell out of a planned triple flip, and the audience gasped. Later, he doubled a planned triple axel, and he appeared to lose steam and energy towards the end of the program. His final jumps were quite small.
Still, when he finished, he clasped his hands in victory, as though he felt that he had won the competition. The scores were so close! It was a 5/4 judges decision for Boitano.

The bronze medal was won by 18-year-old Victor Petrenko of the Soviet Union.
Skating to "Don Quxiote", Victor landed triple after triple and showed strong presentation skills. He appeared to be the champion in the wings.

The men's podium - Boitano, Orser, and Petrenko - was a showcase of wonderful skating talent and sportsmanship. Bravo to all of them.

Calgary also was the Olympic debut of Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie, Christopher Bowman, and a bevy of other young, up and coming skaters. These guys skated in the next to the last flight of skaters, and watching them you knew that there would be some outstanding stars of the future.

The Women's Competition:
This was the "Battle of the Carmens" - reigning World Champion Katarina Witt of East Germany and former World Champion Debi Thomas of the US skated to selections from "Carmen". There was a great deal of media hype over their rivalry - the "East vs West" political thing - as well as their contrasting styles. Witt was a show skater of the first order. She played to the crowd, judges, and the media, while Thomas was a techical skater - all business. Witt was also stunningly beautiful, and the media clamored around her, anxious to take photos of her. The pressure on Witt and Thomas was sky-high, as both of them wanted desperately to win the gold medal. Witt, as a citizen of the GDR, knew that her country expected her to win, and Thomas, as an African-American, felt the pressure of competing to become the first black woman to win an Olympic title.

Witt won the short program with a flashy "Broadway" theme. Her costume had caused some controversy, as it did not contain a skirt. Katarina added feathers to provide some coverage. Thomas' costume also raised a few eyebrows, at it was a one-piece jumpsuit. She skated to rock music, something that wasn't the norm in those days. Thomas landed a double toe/triple toe combination, which was more difficult than Witt's triple toe/double toe, but Witt won the day.
Debi's coach, Alex McGowan, held his fingers to his nose when her scores were read. Clearly, he wasn't pleased.

The long program featured two Carmens. Katarina's Carmen was flirty, saucy, and she "died" in the end, as Carmen died in the opera. However, there was a mid-section that involved a lot of posing and simple moves instead of jumps and other difficult elements, and her technical scores were relatively low - 5.6 to 5.8. While Witt earned many 5.9s for presentation, there was room for another skater to win the title.

Elizabeth Manley of Canada came into the long program in third place. She skated the LP of her life and landed five perfect triples, none in combination, but still gorgeous, nonetheless. The mid section of her program was skated to a lovely piece, "Candian Concerto", and it showcased her strong spins. The crowd went wild when she finished her program, and she rushed to her coach, placed a white cowboy hat on her head, and pumped her fists in victory. Liz won the long program, and with it, the silver medal.

Debi Thomas's program unraveled from her opening move - a planned triple toe/triple toe combination which she two-footed. It seemed that Debi lost heart and/or just gave up after that one mistake, and she fell out of two other planned triples. The audience gasped with every mistake. After she fell out of the second triple, Dick Button commented, "What a sad night this is for Debi." Her scores dropped her to the bronze medal. Peggy Fleming hugged her in the kiss 'n cry area, but what could anyone say to console Debi at that moment?

Midori Ito of Japan turned in, IMHO at least, the most electrifying long program, with seven strong triples, including a triple toe/triple toe. She pumped her fist at the end of her program and received a standing, noisy ovation. Ito was so overcome with joy that she burst into tears as she took her bows. She finished third in the long program - high technical marks but mediocre presentation marks and fifth overall. Ito's school figures kept her out of contention for the medals.

Jill Trenary of the US finished fourth. She skated to selections from "Nutcracker" and skated well, but a little tentatively. The other American skater, Caryn Kadavy, the reigning World bronze medalist, was forced to withdraw from the competition prior to the long program, due to a case of flu.

The Pairs Competition:
Katia Gordeeva/Sergei Grinkov win their first Olympic gold medal in Calgary. Katia had become quite a media favorite, and the press followed them to their offsite training location. They won both the short and long programs. Their long program was skated to selections from Mozart and other composers and showcased their speed, power, and unison. Sandra Bezic was quoted as saying that their performance was "heaven. It was everything pairs skating should be. Sergei presented Katia so beautifully, like a cherished little sister."

Elena Valova/Oleg Vasiliev, the gold medalists from 1984, won the silver medal with two strong performances, and Americans Jill Watson/Peter Oppegard won the bronze medal, despite a rather jarring fall in their long program.

The Ice Dance Competition:
Soviets Natalia Bestemianova/Andrei Bukin won the gold medal convincingly, but their rather garrish costumes and frenetic choregraphy was criticized by the press. Natlia repeatedly "squatted" in front of her partner - a move that looked almost vulgar. Anyway, they won.

The silver medal was won by Marina Klimova/Sergei Ponomorenko of the Soviet Union, and the bronze medal was won by Canadians Tracy Wilson and Robert McCall.

The brother-sister team of Paul and Isabelle Dushanay of France were the real stars of this competition, IMHO. Their African routine/costumes was stunning and blew the roof off the Saddledome. They did not medal, but they sure won the crowd that night.

What a great, great competition!!! 👍 👍

S

SkateFan4Life

And, let's not forget the catchy, snappy theme song that was written for the Calgary Olympics. It was called "Catch the Spirit", I think. Whatever it's name, it has been skated to by a number of top skaters, including Nancy Kerrigan.

The 1988 Olympics were the last Games in which the school figures were contested in the men's and ladies' competitions. IMHO, had the school figures not been contested in Calgary, chances are good that Brian Boitano still would have won the gold medal. However, Katarina Witt might not have won. Either Elizabeth Manley or Midori Ito might have be crowned Olympic champion, as both had long programs that were considerably above Witt's in technical content.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladies and Gentlemen -- There have to be a lot of you out there who remember the 1988 Winter Olympics and the great figure skating competitions. What are your memories??? :)

76olympics

On the Ice
Skatefan---I really remember this Olympics. Brian B and I are the same age-so I was really rooting for him! (tho' I thought Brian O skated a great program as well. I felt for him because you could literally see the pressure resting on his shoulders).

I loved G and G--I remember them showing Katia saying "Hi-how are you?." She was so cute--and I had a strange weakness for their long program costumes. Sergei is the only man I know who could have blossoms on his costume and look not at all feminine!

It was so great when Liz Manley "got into the zone" and started to skate so zestfully and without error. I was just shrieking with joy. The main contenders (Debi and Katarina) had been flawed or tentative-so it was wonderful to see someone skate their very best at such a crucial moment.

All in all-it made me want to visit Calgary! (I still haven't gotten to Canada-I am WAY DOWN south in Savannah, GA. I will get there one day!)

Spinner

Rinkside
76olympics said:
All in all-it made me want to visit Calgary! (I still haven't gotten to Canada-I am WAY DOWN south in Savannah, GA. I will get there one day!)
You have a perfect opportunity. Worlds are in Calgary in '06, at the Saddledome (the '88 Olympic arena). You could be in the actual building where it all happened! I'm going to be there!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for all the great memories of my favorite winter olympics, and the reason I got so "hooked" on figure skating. IMHO, the "Battle of the Brians" is still the greatest men's competition ever. My other most indelible memory was that of Midori Ito's free skate & reaction afterwards - just priceless! :rock:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I watched the event in 1988 and had the opportunity to rewatch men´s skating a couple years ago. My opinion had not changed during the years; the right Brian won.... If Orser had been faultless in freeskate, I guess that he would have won? I really liked to watch the strong performance from Boitano, it is as enjoyable to me as Ilia Kulik´s performance from Nagano. They both went all out, no "playing it safe" there. That´s what makes a competiton really exciting!!!

The ladies event I don´t remember that well, only that Witt was the clear winner of the gold medal after the freeskate.

I remember that I was sooo happy that Gordeeva and Grinkov won the gold medal. I became a fan of their skating as soon as I saw them in Europeans the first time!

From ice dance I don´t remember anything, except that both Russian pairs were no favourites of mine. I do remember though having liked this French pair, as I often do with many French ice dancers.

Marjaana

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Jaana said:
I watched the event in 1988 and had the opportunity to rewatch men´s skating a couple years ago. My opinion had not changed during the years; the right Brian won.... If Orser had been faultless in freeskate, I guess that he would have won? I really liked to watch the strong performance from Boitano, it is as enjoyable to me as Ilia Kulik´s performance from Nagano. They both went all out, no "playing it safe" there. That´s what makes a competiton really exciting!!!Marjaana

I agree with you that the right Brian won at Calgary. Boitano was flawless, bold, and strong, while Orser was tentative. However, had Orser skated an error-free program (clean triple flip and that second triple axel), I think he would have won the gold medal. He skated after Boitano, so the judges did not have to hold back the marks for him, and he was the defending World champion, skating on his home ice. But....as things happened, Boitano won the gold medal fairly and squarely.

S

SkateFan4Life

76olympics said:
Skatefan--- I loved G and G--I remember them showing Katia saying "Hi-how are you?." She was so cute--and I had a strange weakness for their long program costumes. Sergei is the only man I know who could have blossoms on his costume and look not at all feminine!

Yes, I remember Katia - adorable as a 16-year-old, looking into the television camera and saying, "Hi, how are you?" She was one of the major media darlings of Calgary, and aptly so. G & G's blue costumes, with the blossoms, were gorgeous. I agree with you that Sergei looked strong and masculine, costume flowers notwithstanding! :agree: Of course, it's a bit bittersweet to replay their wonderful performances from the 1988 Olympics. It's hard to believe that it's been nearly 10 years since Sergei passed away. :cry:

S

SkateFan4Life

iluvtodd said:
Thanks for all the great memories of my favorite winter olympics, and the reason I got so "hooked" on figure skating. IMHO, the "Battle of the Brians" is still the greatest men's competition ever. My other most indelible memory was that of Midori Ito's free skate & reaction afterwards - just priceless! :rock:

Midori has always "rocked", in opinion. She was dynamic, bold, daring, and brilliant! :rock: What a great long program she skated at Calgary! I can still hear the din of the audience - they cheered, cheered, and cheered for her.
You go, girl! 👍

Spinner

Rinkside
Jaana said:
The ladies event I don´t remember that well, only that Witt was the clear winner of the gold medal after the freeskate.
Funny you should mention that. Had there been no figures portion of the comp., Liz Manley would have stood atop the podium. ;) Same would be true of Orser in '84 (he won the SP *and* LP there).

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SkateFan4Life said:
And, let's not forget the catchy, snappy theme song that was written for the Calgary Olympics. It was called "Catch the Spirit", I think. Whatever it's name, it has been skated to by a number of top skaters, including Nancy Kerrigan.

SkateFan4Life, do you mean that piece of music written by David Foster? I thought it was called "Winter Games." I :love: that music & bought the cassette tape containing it. The music I'm thinking of was also used for years as one of the opening pieces on the COI tour. There were some lyrics added to it - "Can (or is it 'can't?) you feel it ...?'" or something like that.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I think that was also the last year the ISU required actual moves in the SP. All of the jump combos for the SP had to contain a double loop. Debi performed dbl loop/triple toe, Katarina triple toe/dbl loop. Midori's was considered the hardest, since she performed the dbl loop/triple loop.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Champions On Ice is not the same without Can You Feel It? I wish they would bring it back.

S

SkateFan4Life

iluvtodd said:
SkateFan4Life said:

SkateFan4Life, do you mean that piece of music written by David Foster? I thought it was called "Winter Games." I :love: that music & bought the cassette tape containing it. The music I'm thinking of was also used for years as one of the opening pieces on the COI tour. There were some lyrics added to it - "Can (or is it 'can't?) you feel it ...?'" or something like that.

Yes, that's the one! "Can't You Feel It?" I'm not sure what the title is, but it was commissioned for the Calgary Olympics, was played everywhere during the Games, and a number of top skaters used parts of this music in their exhibition and/or competitive programs. Great music! :agree:

pollyls

Rinkside
Memories of 1988

I remember the much-touted Battle of the Brians. I remember giggling when David Santee, as interviewer, had the two Brians somewhere off the ice talking to them both...and when David looked into the camera and spoke very solemnly about the Battle of the Brians, the Brians behind him started pretending to duke it out. :)

I remember the Battle of the Carmens too. I remember Debi Thomas' SP bodysuit and her edgy music and feeling very proud of her being so "out there". I remember gasping in horror when Debi Thomas two-footed her opening combo and how her LP declined from there. There was a very Cold War atmosphere around the whole thing. I also remember something unkind Dick Button said about Katerina Witt: "She is very sexy, but I can't remember anything she's done."

Of the dance competitors I remember Wilson & McCall the best. I remember Gordeeva & Grinkov too, especially how tiny Katia was compared to Sergei.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Spinner said:
Funny you should mention that. Had there been no figures portion of the comp., Liz Manley would have stood atop the podium. ;) Same would be true of Orser in '84 (he won the SP *and* LP there).

Well, that was my opinion in that time, and freeskate was the only part I saw from that competition... Afterwards there has been no possibility to see the freeskate again.

Marjaana

Matt

On the Ice
I was only 2, so needless to mention, I don't remember these Olympics :p . But I have seen various clips of that night: G&G's LP, the end of Liz Manley's LP (with the white cowboy hat thing), bits and pieces of Boitano's, Thomas's, and Witt's LP

iluvtodd said:
My other most indelible memory was that of Midori Ito's free skate & reaction afterwards - just priceless! :rock:

Oooh....does anyone know where I can find a downloadable version of Midori's '88 Olympic LP (bearing in mind that RinkSide doesn't work on my laptop)? That sounds like one for my video collection :agree:

S

SkateFan4Life

pollyls said:
I remember the Battle of the Carmens too. I remember Debi Thomas' SP bodysuit and her edgy music and feeling very proud of her being so "out there". I remember gasping in horror when Debi Thomas two-footed her opening combo and how her LP declined from there. There was a very Cold War atmosphere around the whole thing. I also remember something unkind Dick Button said about Katerina Witt: "She is very sexy, but I can't remember anything she's done."QUOTE]

There was a decided "Cold War" atmosphere between Witt and Thomas. They were fierce rivals, without question. I remember that Witt used to speak glowingly about life in the GDR and how she was proud to be a "people's skater". She used to march in the May Day parades in her home town, and she was quite chummy with the Communist leadership in her country. I'm not criticizing her for this, just stating some facts.

Witt said, sometime after Calgary, that she felt very pressured to defend her Olympic title. She said (to paraphrase), "I knew that if I wanted to have any chance at skating in ice shows outside of my country, I had to win the gold medal. If I had finished second, I would probably have disappeared behind the Iron Curtain." Scarey thought! :mad:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Witt said, sometime after Calgary, that she felt very pressured to defend her Olympic title. She said (to paraphrase), "I knew that if I wanted to have any chance at skating in ice shows outside of my country, I had to win the gold medal. If I had finished second, I would probably have disappeared behind the Iron Curtain." Scarey thought! :mad:

She was right, though. Annet Poetzsch, her sister-in-law, disappeared behind the Iron Curtain, as did Christine Errath. Only recently were they able to pursue what they truly wanted (they both worked in banks before the wall fell; now Annet coaches, and Christine does broadcast).