Rhythm Dance 19/20 - Finnstep music suggestions? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rhythm Dance 19/20 - Finnstep music suggestions?

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think changing to a pattern dance was a good decision. What would the technical panel be judging if everyone created their own patterns? Hopefully we get some insight into why, but I wonder if it has anything to do with just how much the new GOE system has affected dance. They need something to keep ID an "objective" sport.

Now Finnstep with a Broadway/operetta/musical theme could get way over the top. I honestly don't see it as a comfortable theme/pattern for a lot of the top teams. It will make for a very interesting season. It kind of goes against the languid/sexy/angsty style that has gotten so popular.

Lol, for several years I've been thinking of it as the 'Geez, guys, get a room' style.

I'd love to see what the Shibs would do with a Finnstep pattern! They are my favorites, I am so hoping they return.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Finnstep was the required pattern for the Short Dance for the 2014 Olympic Season, featuring the greatest of matchups, Davis/White and Virtue/Moir.

If the current crop can come anywhere close to these performances, we'll be in for a treat (and I'll be very surprised.)

Davis and White, 2014 US Nationals. The Finnstep Pattern begins with "Get Me to the Church on Time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFqwb8NuIqY

Virtue and Moir, 2014 Canadian Nationals. The Finnstep Pattern begins with "Muskrat Ramble."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTQ4jTQC9z0

1904sk8

On the Ice
I remember in 2013-2014 p/c had a really good finnstep but at that time their SS level and maturity wasn't as strong. I am excited to see what they can do with this

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I feel like perhaps this should be another thread and I'm kind of hijacking but
:hijacked:

I don't exactly follow ice dance so I don't know much about it. Can anyone give me examples of great finnstep programs?? Just real quick, just so I have an idea of what it looks like. I've never heard of finnstep before.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel like perhaps this should be another thread and I'm kind of hijacking but
:hijacked:

I don't exactly follow ice dance so I don't know much about it. Can anyone give me examples of great finnstep programs?? Just real quick, just so I have an idea of what it looks like. I've never heard of finnstep before.
TontoK posted two examples in his post a few above (Virtue/Moir and Davis/White from the previous Olympic season).

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I might be misinterpreting some of the posts, but I think a few people might have the wrong impression.

The Finnstep is not an actual dance style, like, for instance, Waltz or Rhumba.

The Finnstep is a pattern dance skated to the rhythm and style of a ballroom Quickstep. When you say a couple "danced a Finnstep" it is akin to saying they "danced a Yankee Polka" or "danced a Tango Romantica."

Really, any music with a Quickstep rhythm and timing would be appropriate for the Finnstep pattern dance. What makes it a Finnstep are the actual steps, and they should be the same as those introduced by Finnish ice dancers Rahkamo and Kokko in 1995.

All Finnsteps are Quicksteps, but not all Quicksteps are Finnsteps. If that makes any sense.

Just like all Starlight Waltzes are Waltzes, but not all Waltzes are Starlight Waltz.

Edit: If you watch the Davis/White and Virtue/Moir SD vidoes I posted above, you can see that they do the exact same steps in the exact same sequence for the Finnstep pattern. Same turns, same twizzles, same skid into the pepper pot. If they did not follow this precisely, they would have failed to reproduce the pattern as specified, and would have gotten hammered by the judges for failure to meet a requirement.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
What made you think people didn’t realise it was a pattern?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What made you think people didn’t realise it was a pattern?

As I said, I might be misinterpreting, but asking for examples of a Finnstep program seemed not clear, as though the contributer was searching for a style of dance, rather than seeking the pattern. Of course, this is an international forum, so something could be lost in translation - on both sides of the conversation.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Rather than "Broadway", the theme should very much be Musical Theatre, as many of the productions which will have suitable music are from the West End, and written by Julian Slade, Sandy Wilson or Noel Gay, ie light and frothy, eg The Boy Friend.

pearly

Record Breaker
Rather than "Broadway", the theme should very much be Musical Theatre, as many of the productions which will have suitable music are from the West End, and written by Julian Slade, Sandy Wilson or Noel Gay, ie light and frothy, eg The Boy Friend.

I think it's officially "Broadway, Musical, Operetta".