Worlds: Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Ladies SP

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Ok. I don't even know where to start... This event was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. Now I'm calm and feel like I can be rational about everything but during the event I was just losing it. :laugh: By the end, I was honestly just sad.

I started watching the event from the penultimate group because, time zones. :bed:

I actually got up an hour before my alarm went off because I was so worried about missing it that I couldn't sleep well. I woke up to find out my computer wasn't working for some reason that only my husband knows(he later fixed it for me). It was early in the morning so I didn't want to wake him up, so after failing at fixing the computer for about 40 minutes I finally gave up and went to watch it on his computer instead.

When I opened the livestream Daleman was just getting ready to skate. I was very happy that she skated well after such a difficult season so that was my first joyful moment of the event and I was feeling less stressed after it.

Then Eunsoo took the ice and had an amazing program, I was over the moon for her because I absolutely love that short program and I saw she was injured so that was not easy but she came through and got her well deserved SB. Now, she does have a suspicious edge on that Lutz. I was already expecting the TP to be lenient though so no surprise it wasn't called.

Then Mariah came in and she was skating wonderfully too, a clean program, yay. I wasn't particularly rooting for her but always good to see skaters happy with their performances. The 3T though was clearly UR, in real time. And this time I thought "well, they'll have to call that" but nope. Alright then, great score for Mariah, pretty good, congrats. I thought "I'll just enjoy all these beautiful performances and forget such things as GOE, PCS, TES exist... just forget about it".

Elizabet started her program, right out of the bat, I hate the music choice. Watching it for the second time later, I actually appreciated her skating more since I made an effort to not let the music choice bother me. I think some fans make it sound like she's better than she really is just because she's now with Eteri and she is some kind of miracle worker, and some fans make it sound like she's a terrible skater just because she's now with Eteri and Eteri is a terrible coach. I think she has some nice qualities, she was really hitting the notes of the music, as much as I hate it, she has nice extension, she had some light jumps in her SP, it was a very good skate overall, nothing too remarkable, she doesn't skate with a lot of personality, but very good skate indeed. But, I do find the scores a bit too much so this was when things started to go south to me.

Anyway, during Laurine's program I basically spaced out, it just didn't grab my attention.

Sofia's SP is also not great but that girl is SO consistent! If I had to bet on one person to not flop it would be her. She's incredible! I didn't pay much attention to her skate either, I knew she would skate clean and get a nice score so whatever whatever.

Now, the final group... :drama: I was so freaking nervous and way too invested in that group. So much going on!!

My fave Kaori was first, had an amazing performance and got a pretty decent score although perhaps I would've been more generous to her but it might be my huge bias so, alright. I was just so happy for her! :luv17:

Bradie's performance was not very eye catching, I don't particularly like her program and I still had 4CC trauma so I was not too invested in that. Also, I still think Bradie has a 3Lz!, though I feel like I'm hallucinating because no one talks about it(meanwhile I see people drag other skaters all the time for it so who knows). Her PCS continues to amaze me.

Speaking of PCS, what in the living hell was that Satoko PCS??? I've seen Satoko being robbed in PCS many times but, wow. So much for "home cooking"... This is where I lost all my hopes for fair judging in the Ladies event. It all starts with the TP who is someone who I think has done enough harm to figure skating history and should not be at this position. And then the judges were giving generous component marks for some and to others, not so much. Satoko continues to underotate and also has a 3Lz! but it wasn't called here. I don't want anyone to be blind, she obviously lacks in technical ability when it comes to jumping but her PCS should be higher imo.

Speaking of higher PCS, Evgenia was great, I was honestly so happy for her! Like Daleman, she came through after a very tough season, she peaked at the right time for sure! But I do not understand her scores. :disapp:

Anyway, then it was time for Rika to skate and I was already thinking she was going to miss the axel because she looked so nervous and at that point I just felt like this event was forever cursed. And then she did it, she popped it. Also a bit tight on the combo, good 3Lz though, the only one with the obvious outside edge, thank you lord. :pray: I'm not going to complain about Rika's score because I don't see anything really gruesome about it. It wasn't her best performance at all. She does excel in Interpretation, she skates with the music like very few do. I also want to appreciate the fact that she does not let her mistake get in the way of her performance and that she's a very brave skater. She could've just done a beautiful, perfect 2A but instead she goes for the 3A and what will be will be. This atitude might have cost her a Worlds medal but I'm sure this experience will serve her in the future. The problem at that point was that, other skater's inflated scores and uncalled mistakes perhaps cost Rika a spot in the last group for the FS. But ok, I was kind of done with this event already. But things can always get worse! :)

Before anyone calls me a hater, I 100% was rooting for Alina to have the skate of her life! After such a difficult season and the meltdown from last Worlds I just want Alina to be happy. It was beautiful to see her relieved at the end of her program, that's the kind of emotion that makes me tear up. She's so young and a very strong skater, a fighter. What I criticize is the scores, not Alina herself. I don't believe her scores reflected what was presented on the ice, I think they were inflated to high heavens and that 3Lz looked flat and perhaps UR, but instead, she got massive GOE for that element and all the others. Her IN marks are astonishing, given that she missed obvious music highlights and was either rushing to get into the music or was totally behind in various moments. It was definitely not a 9.50 kind of interpretation. Anyway, I won't get further into this, let's just say I do not believe her scores were fair at all. But still, I'm very happy for Alina, she did her best and she has nothing to do with what the judges award her. Being a figure skating fan is confusing sometimes, a lot of mixed emotions all at once. :laugh:

As I said, in the end I was downright sad for the whole thing, but I guess what is done is done. Now all I can hope for is for the Men's event to be less bizarre so I don't have nightmares about this year's Worlds for years to come. :laugh:

PS.: sorry for the long, long post. :laugh:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Ok. I don't even know where to start... This event was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. Now I'm calm and feel like I can be rational about everything but during the event I was just losing it. :laugh: By the end, I was honestly just sad.

I started watching the event from the penultimate group because, time zones. :bed:

I actually got up an hour before my alarm went off because I was so worried about missing it that I couldn't sleep well. I woke up to find out my computer wasn't working for some reason that only my husband knows(he later fixed it for me). It was early in the morning so I didn't want to wake him up, so after failing at fixing the computer for about 40 minutes I finally gave up and went to watch it on his computer instead.

When I opened the livestream Daleman was just getting ready to skate. I was very happy that she skated well after such a difficult season so that was my first joyful moment of the event and I was feeling less stressed after it.

Then Eunsoo took the ice and had an amazing program, I was over the moon for her because I absolutely love that short program and I saw she was injured so that was not easy but she came through and got her well deserved SB. Now, she does have a suspicious edge on that Lutz. I was already expecting the TP to be lenient though so no surprise it wasn't called.

Then Mariah came in and she was skating wonderfully too, a clean program, yay. I wasn't particularly rooting for her but always good to see skaters happy with their performances. The 3T though was clearly UR, in real time. And this time I thought "well, they'll have to call that" but nope. Alright then, great score for Mariah, pretty good, congrats. I thought "I'll just enjoy all these beautiful performances and forget such things as GOE, PCS, TES exist... just forget about it".

Elizabet started her program, right out of the bat, I hate the music choice. Watching it for the second time later, I actually appreciated her skating more since I made an effort to not let the music choice bother me. I think some fans make it sound like she's better than she really is just because she's now with Eteri and she is some kind of miracle worker, and some fans make it sound like she's a terrible skater just because she's now with Eteri and Eteri is a terrible coach. I think she has some nice qualities, she was really hitting the notes of the music, as much as I hate it, she has nice extension, she had some light jumps in her SP, it was a very good skate overall, nothing too remarkable, she doesn't skate with a lot of personality, but very good skate indeed. But, I do find the scores a bit too much so this was when things started to go south to me.

Anyway, during Laurine's program I basically spaced out, it just didn't grab my attention.

Sofia's SP is also not great but that girl is SO consistent! If I had to bet on one person to not flop it would be her. She's incredible! I didn't pay much attention to her skate either, I knew she would skate clean and get a nice score so whatever whatever.

Now, the final group... :drama: I was so freaking nervous and way too invested in that group. So much going on!!

My fave Kaori was first, had an amazing performance and got a pretty decent score although perhaps I would've been more generous to her but it might be my huge bias so, alright. I was just so happy for her! :luv17:

Bradie's performance was not very eye catching, I don't particularly like her program and I still had 4CC trauma so I was not too invested in that. Also, I still think Bradie has a 3Lz!, though I feel like I'm hallucinating because no one talks about it(meanwhile I see people drag other skaters all the time for it so who knows). Her PCS continues to amaze me.

Speaking of PCS, what in the living hell was that Satoko PCS??? I've seen Satoko being robbed in PCS many times but, wow. So much for "home cooking"... This is where I lost all my hopes for fair judging in the Ladies event. It all starts with the TP who is someone who I think has done enough harm to figure skating history and should not be at this position. And then the judges were giving generous component marks for some and to others, not so much. Satoko continues to underotate and also has a 3Lz! but it wasn't called here. I don't want anyone to be blind, she obviously lacks in technical ability when it comes to jumping but her PCS should be higher imo.

Speaking of higher PCS, Evgenia was great, I was honestly so happy for her! Like Daleman, she came through after a very tough season, she peaked at the right time for sure! But I do not understand her scores. :disapp:

Anyway, then it was time for Rika to skate and I was already thinking she was going to miss the axel because she looked so nervous and at that point I just felt like this event was forever cursed. And then she did it, she popped it. Also a bit tight on the combo, good 3Lz though, the only one with the obvious outside edge, thank you lord. :pray: I'm not going to complain about Rika's score because I don't see anything really gruesome about it. It wasn't her best performance at all. She does excel in Interpretation, she skates with the music like very few do. I also want to appreciate the fact that she does not let her mistake get in the way of her performance and that she's a very brave skater. She could've just done a beautiful, perfect 2A but instead she goes for the 3A and what will be will be. This atitude might have cost her a Worlds medal but I'm sure this experience will serve her in the future. The problem at that point was that, other skater's inflated scores and uncalled mistakes perhaps cost Rika a spot in the last group for the FS. But ok, I was kind of done with this event already. But things can always get worse! :)

Before anyone calls me a hater, I 100% was rooting for Alina to have the skate of her life! After such a difficult season and the meltdown from last Worlds I just want Alina to be happy. It was beautiful to see her relieved at the end of her program, that's the kind of emotion that makes me tear up. She's so young and a very strong skater, a fighter. What I criticize is the scores, not Alina herself. I don't believe her scores reflected what was presented on the ice, I think they were inflated to high heavens and that 3Lz looked flat and perhaps UR, but instead, she got massive GOE for that element and all the others. Her IN marks are astonishing, given that she missed obvious music highlights and was either rushing to get into the music or was totally behind in various moments. It was definitely not a 9.50 kind of interpretation. Anyway, I won't get further into this, let's just say I do not believe her scores were fair at all. But still, I'm very happy for Alina, she did her best and she has nothing to do with what the judges award her. Being a figure skating fan is confusing sometimes, a lot of mixed emotions all at once. :laugh:

As I said, in the end I was downright sad for the whole thing, but I guess what is done is done. Now all I can hope for is for the Men's event to be less bizarre so I don't have nightmares about this year's Worlds for years to come. :laugh:

PS.: sorry for the long, long post. :laugh:

Don't be sorry, it was a great review. Long or not, and if a good review is long that's all for the good! I may not agree with all the points you put forward but it gave a pretty good picture of the SP. Any thoughts on Loena? She can do so much better. It definitely wasn't her season, with the injuries and all.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think Kaori's skate brought down the house, and I'm mystified by that 7 point gap in between her and Alina... I just don't see it. Now, congrats to Alina for a marvelous skate, but yeah, idk...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It is a funny joke that skating while Russian tends to get magical PCS boost.

It’s unfortunate for others with amazing skating qualities that constantly get overlooked.

May be it's not magical - may be they are just better? Sofia is Russian and she is Euro champ. No boost in pcs. Why? Because she is not as good as Zhenya and Alina in pcs department.

For me the only "lowballed wuzrobbed" argument here can be applied to Eusoon. I would add a couple points to her score. The rest is fine.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I would put Eun-soo Lim's performance in the breathtaking group, too. But I have no quarrel with the judges who put Eun-soo's SS and TR a little lower than the top four.

As for tomorrow, I don't see any way that Alina can lose -- unless she does. That is, unless she has a fall or two and leaves points on the table. In that case, Kaori will be right there waiting to pounce.

If Alina skates clean, I think her SP cushion will protect her even from a triple Axel from Rika and a 4S from Lilbet.

I agree with you. I started to watch videos from Lizbet up missing Eunsoo. She was fantastic, indeed. Where she loses is transitions.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Well, I might write a more detailed review later but two things that stood out to me:

Elizabet‘s PCS. I just can‘t get over them. She has improved, the coaching change was the best move she could have made for herself, she‘s more consistent in her jumps and confident. Good for her, congrats. But her PCS should never, ever be in the same range as Kaori and Satoko. She has improved, but not by that much.

I really enjoyed Mariah‘s skating but this was just....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvQIg49n5-2/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=10g4ps4edwr5s

If you call URs, call all of them. That‘s only fair.

Also very happy for Alina, Zhenya, Kaori. Sad for Satoko. She does not deserve a high TES score but at least give her all the PCS. Sad Rika missed her 3A... at least pop it to a double, girl! It will be hard to make up the difference to Alina. I guess Alina‘s got this, unless Tursynbaeva lands a quad and continues to get those PCS gifts. I would have preferred for Rika to win this to cap of her perfect season but I‘ll be happy for Alina too. Having all the titles. Will be great. Anyway, hoping for a great FS from all the ladies and that Rika comes back spectacularly in the FS and medals and Zhenya continues on her upward trajectory and stays clean, making the top 5. That‘s my main wishes.

Scott512

Record Breaker

What a terrible situation to have to file a complaint against a competitor. But Lims seeing would not have done it unless there was reason for it.

Hoping a Lena can cap off her young career with the only gold medal she's missing. But I am concerned because she struggled with her long program this season. the only difference is she is rested and healthy and in a good mental place. Last year's worlds was a different story she was tired and not at her best and she quite frankly never should have been there after winning Olympic gold.

Manitou

Medalist
Obsessively cheering for Evgenia. Please, succeed. The rest of the skaters doesn't matter to me at this moment.

whatif

Medalist
Kaori's PCS was hurt by Kihira, judges saved the inflation for her as being the anointed one. But that didn't help. I suspect they will look different tomorrow. IMO, she should be getting higher GOEs on jumping elements and probably deserves higher score on SS but otherwise, nothing particularly interesting or to cry "robbed" about PCS wise. Her relative inconsistency doesn't help either.
Satoko has been dumped by JSF.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The competition got stale for me because Kihira, a heavy favorite for the title made another strike of singling her planned 3Axel which eventually led for Zagitova's winning the title at easy that lacks a drama, fierce rivalries and suspension. Unless Zagitova bombs in the free like her at 2018 Worlds, her winning the title is very foreseeable and tangible even if Kihira deliver a clean free program. Kihira should've skated safely in the short given that her success rate on 3A is very low this season.

andromache

Record Breaker
Silly question...a few posters made note of “rumors” or “drama” regarding Eunsoon. Can someone share with me what happened there? Thanks!

There is an entire thread on the Edge relating to this. It's currently closed, but there are plenty of links and perspectives there.

Casual

On the Ice
This is where I lost all my hopes for fair judging in the Ladies event.

Ditto. At this point, I hardly see any difference between World Figure Skating Championship, and the inane World of Dance "duels", with their scripted result - because both suffer from biased judging and propping up of predetermined favorites. :laugh:

Playing favorites is no better than cheating, IMHO. It humiliates the athletes, too. Alina (and Lil Beth) being propped up, others held down - it takes all joy from what should have been an uplifting experience.

It's not just PCS. It's technical panel, too. For example, look at 2A by different ladies, and compare the scores during competition. (NBC made it easy to compare 2As - including length, height and speed statistics in addition to slow-mo'. Very interesting, because it confirms "subjective" impressions.)

Kaori's outstanding 2A was so much more impressive than Alina's - but still scored lower. Alina's mediocre 2A was similar to Satoko's (but was uglier to look at, due to posture) - but scored much higher. Etc. :eek:hwell:

Kaori: distance 3.2 m, height 0.36 m, landing speed 20.7 km/hr (and beautiful posture, extension, etc.) - GOE 1.1
Satoko: distance 2.18 m, height 0.34 m, landing speed 13.6 km/hr - GOE 0.9
Alina: distance 2.04m, height 0.38 m, landing speed 12.5 km/hr - GOE 1.13

melgirl25

Medalist
If Rika, had done a 2A instead, what do you think her score could have been. Would it have been higher than Kaori's?

silveruskate

On the Ice
Ditto. At this point, I hardly see any difference between World Figure Skating Championship, and the inane World of Dance "duels", with their scripted result - because both suffer from biased judging and propping up of predetermined favorites. :laugh:

Playing favorites is no better than cheating, IMHO. It humiliates the athletes, too. Alina (and Lil Beth) being propped up, others held down - it takes all joy from what should have been an uplifting experience.

It's not just PCS. It's technical panel, too. For example, look at 2A by different ladies, and compare the scores during competition. (NBC made it easy to compare 2As - including length, height and speed statistics in addition to slow-mo'. Very interesting, because it confirms "subjective" impressions.)

Kaori's outstanding 2A was so much more impressive than Alina's - but still scored lower. Alina's mediocre 2A was similar to Satoko's (but was uglier to look at, due to posture) - but scored much higher. Etc. :eek:hwell:

Kaori: distance 3.2 m, height 0.36 m, landing speed 20.7 km/hr (and beautiful posture, extension, etc.) - GOE 1.1
Satoko: distance 2.18 m, height 0.34 m, landing speed 13.6 km/hr - GOE 0.9
Alina: distance 2.04m, height 0.38 m, landing speed 12.5 km/hr - GOE 1.13

It doesn't make sense that you failed to mention Alina's difficult entry into her 2A which was a Charlotte going into a 3-turn.... going as far as comparing with Satoko. But I agree Kaori's 2A deserved more.

silveruskate

On the Ice
I like Satoko and in the past I've wanted her to be scored higher, but the PCS she got was what she deserved. It didn't feel like she skated well to the music and no transitions, maybe she deserved a little more for SS but that's all. She can do much better and I hope for exciting programs next season!

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
D

You are conveniently forgetting how difficult Alina's 2A entry is. Try doing a backward Charlotte Spiral without putting your free leg down then lounge to an axel jump. Of course you will get better distance and height if you have a regular entry. :palmf:

Casual

On the Ice
You are conveniently forgetting how difficult Alina's 2A entry is. Try doing a backward Charlotte Spiral without putting your free leg down then lounge to an axel jump. Of course you will get better distance and height if you have a regular entry. :palmf:

Awesome speed and flow (and beauty) vs. ugly and tight should have been rewarded.

It's not enough to jam-pack points-winning transitions into a program and win on paper - one should have to execute too, completely, beautifully, gracefully. Instead, unpolished ugliness is rewarded.