Connection Between WC and Olys wins? | Golden Skate

Connection Between WC and Olys wins?

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I know it didn't happen in 2001-2002 but I was curious how many times the winner of the previous WC went on to win the Olys? Tara Lipinski did. Who else?

Casper

Rinkside
Oksana won her Worlds in 1993 and Olympics 1994.
Kristi won Worlds 1991 and Olympics 1992.
Katarina won Worlds 1987 and Olympics 1988.

However, 1983 Worlds were won by Roz and the Olympics by Katarina.

Ironically, it appears that the opposite trend is true on the Men's side.

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
All of the OGM were won by women who won the WC the previous year with the exceptions of:

Dorothy Hamill

Anett Poetzsch ( Won the WC two years before the Olympics, not the year before,)

Katerina Witt ( Won the first of her WC's after the Olympics)

Sarah Hughes ( Never won a WC)

( Sarah Hughes is the only OGM to date who never won a WC)

S

SkateFan4Life

doubleaxelcm said:
I know it didn't happen in 2001-2002 but I was curious how many times the winner of the previous WC went on to win the Olys? Tara Lipinski did. Who else?
------------------------------------------------------------

In 2002, Sarah Hughes won the Olympic gold medal. She had finished third at the 2001 Worlds. Michelle Kwan, the 2001 World Champion, finished third at the Olympics.

In 1998, Tara Lapinski, the 1997 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1994, Oksana Baiul, the 1993 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1992, Kristi Yamaguchi, the 1991 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1988, Katarina Witt, the 1987 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1984 Katarina Witt won the OGM, her first of two consecutive OGMs. Witt had finished fourth at the 1983 Worlds. Rosalyn Sumners, the 1993 World Champion, finished second at the Olympics.

In 1980, Annet Poetszch of the GDR, the 1979 World silver medalist, won the OGM. Linda Fratianne, the 1979 World Champion, was second at the Olympics.

In 1976, Dorothy Hamill, the 1975 World silver medalist, won the OGM. Diane de Leewu, the 1975 World champion, finished second at the Olympics.

In 1972, Trixi Schuba, the 1971 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1968, Peggy Fleming, the 1967 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1964, Sjoukje Dijkstra, the 1963 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1960, Carol Heiss, the 1959 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1956, Tenley Albright, the 1955 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1952, Jeannette Altwegg, the 1951 World Champion, won the OGM.

In 1948, Barbara Ann Scott, the 1947 World Champion, won the OGM.

Given the above, it's a safe to say that winning the World title in a pre-Olympic year is a good omen for the Olympics. Far and away, the defending World Champion wins the Olympic gold medal. This wasn't the case in 1976, 1980, and 1984, but that doesn't conform to the general pattern.

Ximena

Final Flight
I read somewhere that with the men has happened the opposite? the one who had won worlds previous Olys had not won Oly?
(me hoping this curse breaks soon!!)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Ximena said:
I read somewhere that with the men has happened the opposite? the one who had won worlds previous Olys had not won Oly?
(me hoping this curse breaks soon!!)

Quite true...with two exceptions

1963 WC Don McPherson of Canada retires after the WC's; Bronze medalist Mannfred Schnelldorfer of West Germany takes the OGM

1967 WC Emmerich Danzer of AUT finishes 4th in the Olympics; countryman Wolfgang Schwarz wins OGM (like Alexei Urmanov, Wolfgang Schwarz could never win the WC's... recently arrested for smuggling eastern European girls to sell in brothels)

1971 WC Ondrej Nepela wins OGM

1975 World Champion Sergei Volkov finished 5th in the '76 Olympics, which were won by the world bronze medalist, John Curry

1980 Olympics were won by the world silver medalist, Robin Cousins. Vladimir Kovalev, the world champion, withdrew from competition.

1983 WC Scott Hamilton won the 1984 OGM

1987 WC Brian Orser finished with a silver medal in the 1988 Oly's. Silver medalist Brian Boitano won the OGM

1991 WC Kurt Browning, victim of a bad back, loses the 1992 OGM to Viktor Petrenko, the world silver medalist.

1994 OGM was won by the 1993 world bronze medalist, Alexei Urmanov. WC Kurt Browning finished 5th.

Only fifth in the world in 1997, Ilia Kulik walked away with the OGM in 1998. Defending WC Elvis Stojko finished 2nd.

2001 World silver medalist Alexei Yagudin wins OGM over WC Evgeny Pluschenko.

Pairs skating has the same trend as the ladies; only three times has the world champion not won the OGM. In ice dance, only twice did the WC not win the OGM (Usova/Zhulin in 1994 and, most recently, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio)

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I wonder why Don McPherson didn't stick around for one more year to go for Olympic gold. Kind of odd timing for retiring...

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
I wonder why Don McPherson didn't stick around for one more year to go for Olympic gold. Kind of odd timing for retiring...

He had finished 10th in the Olympics in1960, and only stuck around to try to win the world title. Kinda like Denise Biellmann in 1981 (I thought Denise could've won over Katarina Witt in 1984, when the figures counted for even LESS than they did in 1980)

Then again, he was really young (18) when he retired. He probably would've become the first Canadian men's singles skater to win...

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
The Curse

No Russian man has won the world title and then gone on to win the Olympics - so if Plushenko wins in Moscow this year, he's going to have to try and break the curse, but the odds are against him. Muahahahaahhaaha....have to love those evil curses. :cool:

I wonder how many times someone will shove a microphone in his face and ask him about it....(note to self: stick mic in Plushy's face.....)

Last edited:

nicole_l

Final Flight
so if Plushenko wins in Moscow this year, he's going to have to try and break the curse, but the odds are against him.
Let's hope he breaks the curse... I can't see anyone beating him at this point in the game, and it's only about 14? months before the Olympics.

Vash01

Medalist
Zanzibar said:
No Russian man has won the world title and then gone on to win the Olympics - so if Plushenko wins in Moscow this year, he's going to have to try and break the curse, but the odds are against him. Muahahahaahhaaha....have to love those evil curses. :cool:

I wonder how many times someone will shove a microphone in his face and ask him about it....(note to self: stick mic in Plushy's face.....)

No Canadian man has won the world title and gone on to win the Olympics either. If Buttle or Sandhu wins worlds in 2005, he may have a chance to undo the Canadian curse. However, as a Plushenko fan, I hope Plushy wins both 2005 worlds and 2006 Olympics. They will be shoving the microphone in his face regardless of the outcome.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
He had finished 10th in the Olympics in1960, and only stuck around to try to win the world title. Kinda like Denise Biellmann in 1981 (I thought Denise could've won over Katarina Witt in 1984, when the figures counted for even LESS than they did in 1980)

Then again, he was really young (18) when he retired. He probably would've become the first Canadian men's singles skater to win...

Then it is even stranger than I thought! Hanging around for 3 years to win the World title but not just one more year to try for Olympic gold? Denise I can understand retiring--3 years is a long time to wait, especially if one finds the competitive atmosphere difficult, and I really think she did.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Okay, I just researched a bit and now understand that Don McPherson retired because his family didn't have the money for him to continue skating until the Olympics. He accepted an ice show contract in order to pay his father back--apparently he had sold his life insurance policy to pay for Don's skating expenses.

RealtorGal said:
Okay, I just researched a bit and now understand that Don McPherson retired because his family didn't have the money for him to continue skating until the Olympics. He accepted an ice show contract in order to pay his father back--apparently he had sold his life insurance policy to pay for Don's skating expenses.
It's never been a sport for the underprivileged especially at that time, and being anything but white was almost unheard of. Nowadays, the costs are still high for most skaters. Who can afford a PR man as well as all the other necessitities: coaching costs, choreography costs, rental of ice time, new skates, music splicing, costume design and execution, travel, etc., etc., etc.
Joe

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Pairs skating has the same trend as the ladies; only three times has the world champion not won the OGM. In ice dance, only twice did the WC not win the OGM (Usova/Zhulin in 1994 and, most recently, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio)

1991 WC Duchesnays did not win 1992 Olympics

Eeyora

Final Flight
Evy Scotvold believed Nancy Kerrigan may have had a better chance of winning the OGM had she not had that disasterous long program at the 1993 Worlds in Prague3 where she fell to fifth place.;

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
i was looking at Winter games results

to see exactly what happened in the 60's...

even on the men's side, figures controlled the game. emmerich danzer, who finished 4th in the figures and first in the free skate wound up fourth overall. he had a higher point tally than the third place winner. wolfie schwarz, the winner, was first in the figures, and second in the free skate.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Quite true...with two exceptions
1967 WC Emmerich Danzer of AUT finishes 4th in the Olympics; countryman Wolfgang Schwarz wins OGM (like Alexei Urmanov, Wolfgang Schwarz could never win the WC's...

Also like Robin Cousins and Ilia Kulik.
Urmanov is the only one who kept trying for several years after winning OGM, although Cousins did go to 1980 Worlds and finish 2nd.