What to wear to first LTS class | Golden Skate

What to wear to first LTS class

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, after several years of talking about it, I have registered for my first LTS class and it starts tonight. Gloves are mandatory, I have those covered. Also socks. I have no idea what else to wear. I don't have a ton of winter weight clothes - I hate wearing long sleeves, even. A pair of jeans and a sweater? The warmest thing I wore in Detroit was a thick sweater dress and a pair of leggings but I don't think a sweater dress would work well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

jf12

Final Flight
Well, after several years of talking about it, I have registered for my first LTS class and it starts tonight. Gloves are mandatory, I have those covered. Also socks. I have no idea what else to wear. I don't have a ton of winter weight clothes - I hate wearing long sleeves, even. A pair of jeans and a sweater? The warmest thing I wore in Detroit was a thick sweater dress and a pair of leggings but I don't think a sweater dress would work well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I wouldn't recommend jeans, if they get wet they can take a while to dry. I'd go with leggings, sweats, or joggers for pants. For your tops, it's better to layer if you don't know how cold it'll be. If you are usually hot, you can wear a tank top, a t-shirt, and a sweater on top, so you can take off a layer if you want to.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I suggest some type of stretchy pants. If you don't wear leggings, then some type of yoga pant. If you don't have these type of bottoms, then wear jeans this time, but buy athletic pants for the future sessions.
Wear layers on top as jf12 suggested. While moving around you may actually get quite warm!

Don't encumber yourself in a bulky jacket and don't tangle yourself up in a long skirt.

Most of all - have fun, and congrats on taking that first skating step!!

Edited to add: Don't compare yourself to the others in your class either. It's class #1 and everyone will progress at their own pace.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yes, stretchy stuff you can move around in easily, no baggy bottoms that can get caught on anything, and layers. For Detroit, IIRC, you went to a competition there this winter, right? Yeah, if you were walking around Detroit in the winter in leggings, I would not recommend sweats, and you should make the bottom layer a tank top or short-sleeved shirt.

Also, keep your leggings/pants over your skates instead of laced up inside them.

Good luck and have fun!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Leggings, joggers, hoodie, gloves, socks that aren't extremely thick.

ETA: It's in the 30's here right now (real feel) and will be in the high 20's this evening/tonight). So make sure you are going to be warm enough, our rink temps vary, depending on day and what rink.

Good luck, have a great time!:biggrin:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And make sure your socks come up at least to the top of the skate boot tongue so your ankle doesn't get irritated.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was a disaster, y’all. I can’t get up from the ground without using my hands. The instructor showed me what I needed to be able to do and I can’t do it. I can do the sqatting part, but not the part where you get up without your hands. I’m soooo frustrated because I want to skate with Gracie in August. I’m going to send the info on what I need to be able to do to my physical therapist. At least she is refunding my money.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was a disaster, y’all. I can’t get up from the ground without using my hands. The instructor showed me what I needed to be able to do and I can’t do it. I can do the sqatting part, but not the part where you get up without your hands. I’m soooo frustrated because I want to skate with Gracie in August. I’m going to send the info on what I need to be able to do to my physical therapist. At least she is refunding my money.

Moonvine, once this happened to me in a competitive skate - except I could not rise at all, my arms were shaking so hard with nerves and shock. It has only happened to me one other time, a time when I had reason to be incredibly nervous.

It does not matter how you get up. As long as you do. Don't give up, moonvine. You can do this!

Clarice

Rinkside

I'm curious about the part where you have to get up without using your hands. That's not how we teach it. We have people get on their hands and knees, set one foot then the other with their hands still on the ice (kind of a squatting position), then rise to standing position. Some people like to put their hands on one knee after they set the first foot and press up from there. Like karne said, it doesn't matter how you get up, just that you can.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm curious about the part where you have to get up without using your hands. That's not how we teach it. We have people get on their hands and knees, set one foot then the other with their hands still on the ice (kind of a squatting position), then rise to standing position. Some people like to put their hands on one knee after they set the first foot and press up from there. Like karne said, it doesn't matter how you get up, just that you can.

Totally agree with all of this. The technique Clarice mentioned is how I know getting up from a fall to be taught in LTS.
NEVER heard of teaching beginners of any age to get up without using hands. Gosh, I hope your instructor is not teaching a crabwalk.

Don't give up moonvine. See how it goes next week.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Wait, what? You mean on the ice? I've been skating on and off for two decades (very much on for the past year), and I can't get up without using my hands. Granted, I'm not sure I've ever tried and very well might be able to, but still, I don't think I've ever seen a non-competitive figure skater do that. That's actually one of the things I need to work on before I start competing.

Is there another rink you can try?

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

Adding to the sentiment of "Huh????" about your instructor asking you to get up without using your hands. That's both unnecessary and bizarre. Also not how one ought to teach beginners to get up. I think maybe the fault lies more with your instructor than with you. Please don't get discouraged! The class might not be the right fit for you, but keep at it!

jf12

Final Flight
Wait, what? You mean on the ice? I've been skating on and off for two decades (very much on for the past year), and I can't get up without using my hands. Granted, I'm not sure I've ever tried and very well might be able to, but still, I don't think I've ever seen a non-competitive figure skater do that. That's actually one of the things I need to work on before I start competing.

Getting up without using your hands isn't a thing for a competitive skater either. I'm a mid level skater with doubles/novice moves/silver dance and I've taken numerous lessons from olympic skaters and coaches and I get up by pressing my hands on my knee.. nobody ever cares or says anything. In an actual competition if you happen to fall you just get up as fast as you can.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Getting up without using your hands isn't a thing for a competitive skater either. I'm a mid level skater with doubles/novice moves/silver dance and I've taken numerous lessons from olympic skaters and coaches and I get up by pressing my hands on my knee.. nobody ever cares or says anything. In an actual competition if you happen to fall you just get up as fast as you can.

Thank you! I definitely still need to work on my speed getting up, but that's good to know, and makes it even more absurd about @moonvine's instructor.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, as far as the lessons go, she refunded me my money, gave me her card and told me to call her when I could get up all THREE ways without using my hands. 1. squat down, which I can do, put your hiney on the ground and get up without using your hands. You can stick your hands out in front of you for balance. 2. get down on the ground on your hip, roll over to your knees, and get up without putting your hands on the ground. 3. I don't remember. I asked her if she had a handout and she said no, you could google "how to get up figure skating." Well, I googled and googled it and can't find it. They may just not want the liability of dealing with an overweight skater. I can't imagine you needing to be able to get up 3 ways. Surely one way would be good enough? So, I did not get to get on the ice. I guess my options are to call around, explain I can't get up without using my hands and see if that will be an issue for LTS, or I suppose I could try to find a coach. The time is ticking for my lesson with Gracie and if she goes "sorry you can't get up off the ground without using your hands, I can't teach you" I will be a devastated person.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree with all of this. The technique Clarice mentioned is how I know getting up from a fall to be taught in LTS.
NEVER heard of teaching beginners of any age to get up without using hands. Gosh, I hope your instructor is not teaching a crabwalk.

Don't give up moonvine. See how it goes next week.

I'm not giving up but she's refunded my money and wants me to call her when I can get up 3 ways without using my hands.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I can do that, but it's like a tripod, my legs are further apart than my shoulders, and she said my legs would slide apart and I'd do the splits. That would hurt. A lot. (I never got to the ice, I was on the ground in the lobby).

- - - Updated - - -

There are other rinks! Unfortunately they are in their LTS sessions and not teaching more until next month.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Your experience regarding the instructions for getting up after falling is just mind-boggling to me and I teach a lot of basic LTS classes.
I truly hope that they are not making overweight an issue as skaters come in all sizes and I've taught many larger skaters too. I'm really sorry you had this experience. That is NOT consistent with Learn to Skate.

Sam L

Medalist
I can get up without hands and I’ve only been skating for 2 years but I agree that it’s asking too much for LTS to do that. You need to be very comfortable on your blades but also have a lot of lower body strength. I’m not overweight though. That’ll be hard.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your experience regarding the instructions for getting up after falling is just mind-boggling to me and I teach a lot of basic LTS classes.
I truly hope that they are not making overweight an issue as skaters come in all sizes and I've taught many larger skaters too. I'm really sorry you had this experience. That is NOT consistent with Learn to Skate.

Should I call the other rinks who teach LTS and ask if they require it?