Can anyone challenge Papadakis and Cizeron? | Golden Skate

Can anyone challenge Papadakis and Cizeron?

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Since Worlds last year, we have seen Papadakis and Cizeron easily win every competition they've entered, including Worlds, where they won by 11 points. With this season being almost over, they've clearly established themselves as the world's top ice dance team, so I've been wondering, are there any teams that can challenge them next season? And will they be able to do score even higher?

Papadakis and Cizeron have no peer or rival.

(I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool Chock and Bates fan.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wish they would challenge themselves and bring something different.

i liked their FD this year, first time I like one of their programs since Mozart...so that says a lot.

reneerose

Final Flight
Only if the ice dance judging panels at each event let them be challenged by other teams. They seem to be locked in for the next 4 years.

icybear

Medalist
I swear if there is no one who's going to challenge them, by 2022 judges will be giving them 500 total pts because their pb just gets bigger and bigger in every single competition

GGFan

Record Breaker
I don't see anyone challenging them in terms of the complete package (skating skills, sophistication, lines, etc). However with figure skating politics anything can happen. We'll have to read the tea leaves in the coming years. If Vikita begins to cut into their lead I could see a great upset in 2022. It definitely won't be one of the North American teams.

That is a scenario that I would abhor but I always prepare myself for shenanigans in this sport. :dev2:

s_parks

Record Breaker
In terms of actual skating+packaging, they have no rival. Though there will be a political move to push one of the other teams to be one, i think. It appears S/K are expected to move up the ranks, as they showed here at worlds.

meem

On the Ice
Their FD's always look the same (to me). I'd like to see them select a different type of music (jazz? rythm & blues?).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As long as their scores and placement is pre-decided, no.

alpaca

On the Ice
As long as their scores and placement is pre-decided, no.

Honestly, as of right now, I think it's fair to say P/C are definitely in a league of their own in terms of having the total package - at least in this field as of 2019. I see maybe a few teams might be able to really compete if they really step up their game in the next few years. But since Virtue and Moir left the comp scene, P/C are the only team I'm willing to put up as really not challengable as of now.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly, as of right now, I think it's fair to say P/C are definitely in a league of their own in terms of having the total package - at least in this field as of 2019. I see maybe a few teams might be able to really compete if they really step up their game in the next few years. But since Virtue and Moir left the comp scene, P/C are the only team I'm willing to put on V/M and maybe D/W level connection.

Yeah, sorry, I'm allowed to disagree.

1904sk8

On the Ice
Should anyone challenge them at the moment? No. They have the strongest SS, matching, and consistency of the top teams. I think the RD/SD which held them back in past years is something they are really focusing on this quad which was clear with their tango. Like previous users said, I can see russia trying to politick a team to challenge for that top spot

LynsJ

On the Ice
At the moment no. I found the silver Russians choreography very dull to watch this season. Brilliant skating but didn’t hold my attention. If they work on that and find their niche they could challenge maybe. I could say the same for H/D. Poor music picks for their style this season. Last seasons free was gorgeous. Wish they had built on that momentum. They really suit edgy.

Kittosuni

Medalist
After the retirement of V/M, the younger North Americans were poised to challenge P/C but can't seem to make the stride. One problem I'm seeing, they are trying to beat P/C at their own game.

All of them are flocking in Montreal. As long as P/C is there, everyone will still be below them.

That is why It feels like the Russians are the most likely to challenge them going to 2022.

It's quite bold that instead of conforming or doing the North American or P/C style, they are directly doing the opposite and sticking to their own style with Sinitsina/Katsalapov the traditional Ice Dance Style and Stepanova/Bukin the more daring and youthful style.

This move by the Russians haven't been paying off for the past seasons and I admit I was getting impatient and have suggested that they should be sending their younger teams in NA. But it seems like it's slowly paying off and judges are more open with it now.

But who are we kidding, political backing still exists in ID and I'm sure the North Americans and Europeans are making the move now especially after the result at worlds. The Europeans to Keep P/C on top and Russians to challenge them. And now the North Americans are put into pressure not only to challenge P/C but to keep the no.2 & 3 positions with the Russian resurgence.

But at the end of the day teams still need to perform their program and hit all the levels and requirements and this is where the NA teams still have upper hand compare to the Russians. They are just more solid in their base and more consistent.

I don't see P/C getting beaten going 2022 unless major errors or injuries occur to prevent them doing what they do, and if that happens, I can definitely see the Russians pouncing hard.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
maybe Lajoie/Lagha one day? But not in the near future.

I hope they will challenge themselves and try different programs (Mozart is still my favorite from all they skated). They can do anything.
I can't be a fan in the real sense, probably because of the time they competed with Tessa and Scott, but I enjoy them more than anyone right now. If the other teams get closer, I will say it's unfair and they are pushed by the judges. It's a huge gap between P/C and the rest, even for the most untrained eye.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
As long as Sinitsina/Katsalapov are viewed as the first in line of possible challengers, then for dear heavens I hope Papadakis/Cizeron remain undefeated. Not nice of me, but I cannot help myself. What has gone wrong with the US and Canada couples' programs that they lost to them? I hope their issues get fixed.