Thread: Coming soon: Synchro Challenger Series

On the Ice

3 Not allowed!

Coming soon: Synchro Challenger Series

Noticed this in the new ISU Council communication (https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-c...tion-2234/file):

8. Challenger Series in Synchronized Skating
    Based on a proposal from the ISU Synchronized Skating Technical Committee, the Council decided to support a Challenger Series in Synchronized Skating starting with the season 2019/20. Details will be communicated in due course through a dedicated ISU Communication.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    That is great news!

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Yay! I haven’t looked too much into the details that are available at the moment, but this seems like a step in the right direction.

I do have questions though, such as if this new challenger series will replace the long-standing international synchro invitationals that tend to take place between mid December to mid February? Or will they occur concurrently in the season, perhaps before Christmas break?

If my second theory rings true, I am a bit worried in regards to the extra expenses that the teams will need to budget for in the coming new season. As many of you know, senior and junior level synchro teams in several of the top seeded countries do not receive anywhere near the amount of funding that the other four disciplines’ national team members are allocated, thus placing the brunt of the training costs on the skaters themselves and their families.

1 Not allowed!
    That's great news. It will surely give more visibility to this beautiful discipline and maybe contribute to increasing its status. I would love to see synchro skating one day at the Olympics.