2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

Casual

On the Ice
Spielberg, who made Schindler’s List, is Jewish, as is Itzhak Perlman, who plays the theme, as is Jason, who will skate to it. Any or all of them may have lost friends or family in the Holocaust. What you think of as tacky or commercial may in fact be deeply personal, so I’m not sure you have the right to judge.

By the way, here is Perlman discussing the reason why violins were important for Jews interned in concentration camps:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmas...rlman-plays-theme-from-schindlers-list/10761/

Commercializing real life tragedies of unimaginable scale, in figure skating competitions, feels in very pour taste, Jewish or not Jewish. (Although infinitely more tacky if no personal connection.) Mass murder, real life victims, Holocaust, 9/11, or similar atrocities - should not be used to win skating medals. Because it feels wrong.

Movies are fine. Stand-alone ballet or opera are fine. Any standalone art is fine, because it makes people feel, empathize, and never forget. But it must be standalone - so that those uncomfortable or still traumatized can choose not to watch; and it has to be true art, i.e., the main goal cannot be "to win a sports medal".

Figure skating Gala are questionable. Figure skating Competitions can feel obscene. (Unless there's a deep personal connection, in which case it's just a poor choice of medium).

Any human with a conscience has a right to judge. I lived through 9/11, and I cringe when I think about that stupid program, by that silly little girl (I blame adults, as teenage skaters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, obviously.) Some from my family were killed in mass executions. But I believe that one doesn't need to have any personal connection to understand - portraying sorrow and loss of mass atrocities with the explicit goal of winning medals is not right.

That's all I have to say about that.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Commercializing real life tragedies of unimaginable scale, in figure skating competitions, feels in very pour taste, Jewish or not Jewish. (Although infinitely more tacky if no personal connection.) Mass murder, real life victims, Holocaust, 9/11, or similar atrocities - should not be used to win skating medals. Because it feels wrong.

Movies are fine. Stand-alone ballet or opera are fine. Any standalone art is fine, because it makes people feel, empathize, and never forget. But it must be standalone - so that those uncomfortable or still traumatized can choose not to watch; and it has to be true art, i.e., the main goal cannot be "to win a sports medal".

Figure skating Gala are questionable. Figure skating Competitions can feel obscene. (Unless there's a deep personal connection, in which case it's just a poor choice of medium).

Any human with a conscience has a right to judge. I lived through 9/11, and I cringe when I think about that stupid program, by that silly little girl (I blame adults, as teenage skaters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, obviously.) Some from my family were killed in mass executions. But I believe that one doesn't need to have any personal connection to understand - portraying sorrow and loss of mass atrocities with the explicit goal of winning medals is not right.

Why is winning medals any different from making money and earning awards, both of which are major reasons for making art about tragedies? Schindler's List was incredibly profitable.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Commercializing real life tragedies of unimaginable scale, in figure skating competitions, is in very pour taste indeed, Jewish or not Jewish. (Although infinitely more tacky if no personal connection.) Mass murder, real life victims, Holocaust, 9/11, or similar atrocities - should not be used to win skating medals.

Figure skating Gala are questionable. Figure skating competitions - obscene. (Unless there's a deep personal connection, in which case it's a poor choice of medium).

Any human with a conscience has a right to judge. I lived through 9/11, and I cringe when I think about that stupid program, by that silly little girl (I blame adults, as teenage skaters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, obviously.) Some from my family were killed in mass executions. But I believe that one doesn't need to have any personal connection whatsoever to get this simple thought - portraying sorrow and loss of mass atrocities with the explicit goal of winning medals is not right.

I don’t think all programs are created equal. Nor is it fair to say that everyone has the same motivation for doing a particular thing - that’s an assumption on your part. Someone might choose music for a competitive program - or for a recital or audition, for that matter - simply because it’s achingly beautiful or because it evokes a strong response in them and they have something to say that they want people to hear. There is no reason that a four minute program can’t be a small work of art just because it’s also functional - in this case, because it’s being used in competition.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
New? I think this music is very similar to her FS Music 2017-2018

Listen to the song past 1 minute mark =)
I think it has a vibe similar to «Les feuilles mortes»
Has some maturity and elegance to it, with added harmonica/accordion it sounds very "french" to me.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
WARNING!!!! SPOILERS AHEAD: DO NOT READ IF NOT CAUGHT UP TO THE LATEST GAME OF THRONES.
:
:
:
:
:

You misunderstood. :biggrin: The reason I found Sacha's choice hilarious is because I bet that poor little girl had no idea of where the character was actually headed - just as all those hundreds of parents who named their new born daughters "Daenerys" and "Khaleesi", because they thought they were honoring a "Hero", and not a "Villain" of the show. (Since I foresaw Mad Queen from book one, I always knew that name will not age well! :laugh: )

As for portraying villains... Sure! :thumbsup: Black Swan is a skating staple, and it's not a positive character, is it? It's fine to portray it - as long as a skater knows WHO they're portraying (a villain in a tragedy, and not a hero in a Disneyesque fairy tale!) :rofl: I'm just saying... It's funny, how so many did not anticipate a beautiful princess turning into a sadistic tyrant. Please indulge me my moment of crowing, after almost 20 years of anticipation. :yahoo:

(I sincerely hope Sasha is not too disappointed in how it turned out, and made her choice based purely on beautiful music, and not because she was Team Dany.)

well GOT has never been a dysneyesque fairytale since square one. if anyone might have seen it that way i blame first of all years of bad and superficial writing (i'm talking about the show) but also some superficial understanding of the whole plot and characterization. i have not doubt that the turning of the hero into a monster (wich basically is the point of the entire saga, at least in Martin's intentions) was in Martin's mind since the begining, so i don't find it surprising, what i find surprising is how just the final part of Daenerys's story can erase whatever she did before and everything she's been trough (of course the bad quality of the screeplay doesn't help understand the transformation. many actions look just gratuitous. seriously, she looks like an hysterical brat who snaps because she can't get what she wants in the way she wants) many of us still admire Napoleon, right? :biggrin: i'm still team (books) Daenerys :dev2:

She skated this program as EX at the show, I think she is really skating Bella and no one else. But I’m praying for better dress for SP, pls

:(

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think all programs are created equal. Nor is it fair to say that everyone has the same motivation for doing a particular thing - that’s an assumption on your part. Someone might choose music for a competitive program - or for a recital or audition, for that matter - simply because it’s achingly beautiful or because it evokes a strong response in them and they have something to say that they want people to hear. There is no reason that a four minute program can’t be a small work of art just because it’s also functional - in this case, because it’s being used in competition.

I'm going to pull this snippet out and shift the conversation just a tad.

Is it possible to skate to something like Romeo and Juliet without portraying a character? I think it is. The music is beautiful, and it could stand on its own outside of the storyline.

In the case of the two most memorable recent Schindler's List programs...

Yulia skated in the red dress, drawing a direct visual link to the story.

Joshua skated a beautiful emotional program to the music, but I think the program would have been just as beautiful if the music had come from any other source. If the music had come from a Disney film, for example, would it have been viewed as positively?

So, in these cases - same inspiration, but different approaches and interpretation.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
She skated this program as EX at the show, I think she is really skating Bella and no one else. But I’m praying for better dress for SP, pls

Well, in that case I'm just going to hope that Alyona's angelic skating either surpasses the books or actually makes Bella Swan likeable... I am still much more looking forward to her FS though

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm going to pull this snippet out and shift the conversation just a tad.

Is it possible to skate to something like Romeo and Juliet without portraying a character? I think it is. The music is beautiful, and it could stand on its own outside of the storyline.

In the case of the two most memorable recent Schindler's List programs...

Yulia skated in the red dress, drawing a direct visual link to the story.

Joshua skated a beautiful emotional program to the music, but I think the program would have been just as beautiful if the music had come from any other source. If the music had come from a Disney film, for example, would it have been viewed as positively?

So, in these cases - same inspiration, but different approaches and interpretation.

Hmm - very interesting question but just too tired to formulate my thoughts right now - will respond tomorrow.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Komatsubara and Koleto have announced that their exhibition next season will be a disco themed one consisting of “Saturday Night Fever, Funky Town, Super Freak, and Canned Heat.” https://twitter.com/timkoleto/status/1128835372576837634?s=21

No comment lol

the disco fever is spreading :dance3:

Sota Yamamoto:
SP: East of Eden
FS: In This Shirt
choreo by Pasquale Camerlengo
https://www.twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/1128851935635943425

Kazuki Tomono:
SP: The Hardest Button to Button
choreo by Phillip Mills
FS: Moulin Rouge
choreo by Misha Ge
https://www.twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/1128907192025796608

a glass here, please :biggrin:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Of the music choices so far, I am most excited about Kazuki’s The Hardest Button to Button SP.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess he doesn’t realize Tosca is 3 hours long.

:laugh:

I’m a big fan of my Andrew T., but he could have given us some further hint:) Then again, he at least had the grace to say he wanted to mature a little before trying it. Andrew loves his warhorses, so I would have to guess E lucevan le stelle.

Evidently “Bloodstream” is a hip hop Clair de Lune?:eek: in honor of Andrew, I will withhold judgment:biggrin:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:laugh:

I’m a big fan of my Andrew T., but he could have given us some further hint:) Then again, he at least had the grace to say he wanted to mature a little before trying it. Andrew loves his warhorses, so I would have to guess E lucevan le stelle.

Evidently “Bloodstream” is a hip hop Clair de Lune?:eek: in honor of Andrew, I will withhold judgment:biggrin:

If you want an idea, watch Anthony Pomerenko and Christina Cairrera’s FD from last season to the same music.