2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thats the same version Satoko will be using and the performer is John Bayless..it is a lovely piece of music, with two styles mixed and I think it will work well for Satoko...Satoko has used John Bayless before in her Madame Butterfly routine and Romeo and Juliet....Lori used the same piece of music for Peter Liebers! :biggrin:

I love Lori's work with Satoko i think it will be wonderful.....

Her SP sounds interesting...out of the box for Satoko ...and with Benoit should be good....:luv17:

No, this won't be paint-by-numbers. At all.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I need to say, that although I have strong initial reactions to music as well, my 45 years of watching skating leads me to a different conclusion....

At this point, doing something different for the sake of doing something different? Meh. :yawn: I’d rather see it done well.

Two of my very favorite programs ever ever ever in the past few years have been the worst kind of warhorses: Felicia and Nate’s Les Miz and Grant Hochstein’s Les Miz. Both had the Skates of Their Lives with those programs and I watch those skates again. And again. Because they are that good.

I remember when Jason announced Love Is a B****, and I was huh? And I listened to the music, and I was huh? Yet it turned out to be one of the masterpiece programs of last year.

However, some music will in fact always be a No. and Chaplin is one of those. I just hate Chaplin programs. Full stop.

We all have our quirks:laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I need to say, that although I have strong initial reactions to music as well, my 45 years of watching skating leads me to a different conclusion....

At this point, doing something different for the sake of doing something different? Meh. :yawn: I’d rather see it done well.

Two of my very favorite programs ever ever ever in the past few years have been the worst kind of warhorses: Felicia and Nate’s Les Miz and Grant Hochstein’s Les Miz. Both had the Skates of Their Lives with those programs and I watch those skates again. And again. Because they are that good.

I remember when Jason announced Love Is a B****, and I was huh? And I listened to the music, and I was huh? Yet it turned out to be one of the masterpiece programs of last year.

However, some music will in fact always be a No. and Chaplin is one of those. I just hate Chaplin programs. Full stop.

We all have our quirks:laugh:

The Les Miz programs you cite... were they innovative, fresh, and ground-breaking? Or did you like them because they represent a personal triumph of the skaters that performed them. And I stress there's nothing wrong with liking them for that reason.

Jason's SP is a perfect example of what I am seeking. It was so off-brand, even mildly shocking, that he would choose this music... I couldn't wait to see it. And I say this as someone who has been off the Jason bandwagon for a few years. He did something out of the box, and I am very happy that he was rewarded for it.

Is anybody thinking, "Gosh, I just can't wait to see another Chaplin program?"

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Les Miz programs you cite... were they innovative, fresh, and ground-breaking? Or did you like them because they represent a personal triumph of the skaters that performed them. And I stress there's nothing wrong with liking them for that reason.

Jason's SP is a perfect example of what I am seeking. It was so off-brand, even mildly shocking, that he would choose this music... I couldn't wait to see it. And I say this as someone who has been off the Jason bandwagon for a few years. He did something out of the box, and I am very happy that he was rewarded for it.

Is anybody thinking, "Gosh, I just can't wait to see another Chaplin program?"

I agree with you that I am certainly not waiting to see another Chaplin program,:no: but I am upfront about my distaste:laugh: I can’t speak for anyone else.

I’m just not sure what would be groundbreaking in choreo? i don’t think those programs I cited had particularly “original” choreo. So for me, probably only that they were done extraordinarily well was enough:thumbsup:

I have not seen Satoko skate enough to have an opinion as to whether Schindler’s List (plus the other music) will be good for her. Of course I have seen Jason skate enough, and I guess because I know enough about him to know that Schindler’s List would speak to his heritage, and to expect that now David Wilson knows enough about him to play to his strengths, I have high hopes. Whether I’ve seen other SL programs does not affect my (anticipated) opinion of this one.

So maybe knowledge of a particular skater also helps :think:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexa and Chris Knierim have announced their SP music is At Last, choreo by Benoit Richuad.

https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1132348205126041600?s=20

Free program -- Drop of Fragrance along with Experience, also choreographed by Benoit.

https://twitter.com/Scimeca_Knierim/status/1132354300158464000?s=20

I do not know "Drop of Fragrance" at all. But Alexa and Chris *and* Ashley and Tim skating programs that have "Experience"? Should be interesting;)

And I love love love "At Last" for them. Although sad that it is Beyonce (no idea she actually covered that one) rather than Etta James.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not know "Drop of Fragrance" at all. But Alexa and Chris *and* Ashley and Tim skating programs that have "Experience"? Should be interesting;)

And I love love love "At Last" for them. Although sad that it is Beyonce (no idea she actually covered that one) rather than Etta James.

My thoughts exactly EL. I'll be really curious to see how different their versions are of "Experience", with the Knierims also using "Drop". I got super excited when I saw "At Last" but then felt bad when I realized it wasn't Etta James! Oh well, great song that I think will really suit them. I'm sure Beyoncé will be good too.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Roman Sadovsky used Schindler's List with Bells of Moscow (aka Prelude in C♯ minor) last season for his FS and it went over really well. People seemed to really like the arrangement. I think in some ways, Bells of Moscow has a sadder sound than the actual Schindler's List music, so it fits well.

Yes, I saw this and I do like the arrangement musically. But I'm just worried that she is just trying to skate to sad, pretty music and not actually doing it to convey the story of Schindler's list. Of course I haven't seen it and I'm not judging her, I'm just a bit concerned because its such a touchy subject that I'm not sure how I feel about someone just using the music for the melody (she said she heard it at a concert and liked it - I'm really hoping she has since watched the movie at least).

Tsurara

On the Ice
Yes, I saw this and I do like the arrangement musically. But I'm just worried that she is just trying to skate to sad, pretty music and not actually doing it to convey the story of Schindler's list. Of course I haven't seen it and I'm not judging her, I'm just a bit concerned because its such a touchy subject that I'm not sure how I feel about someone just using the music for the melody (she said she heard it at a concert and liked it - I'm really hoping she has since watched the movie at least).

Trying to skate to sad, pretty music? She heard it at a concert and liked it...? Not like that at all. She said she loved it and she kept it in mind for some time. She knew some people wouldn't like it (that's why she said 'it might be too dark'), but she felt she had to perform to it (as in 'absolutely/zettain-i').
IMHO she doesn't have to convey your (as in general) version of Schindler's list. She could convey whatever she felt she received from John Bayless' piano recital. That said, she is a smart girl, she loves reading, and your concern is something that never went through my head.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Well speaking of being respectful, it concerns me that she is doing a Schindler's list program in combination with two other pieces. Imo if you're going to do a Schindler's list program you have to go all out and commit to the story, otherwise you're just using it as another pretty piece of music which doesn't feel right. But can you really go all out with the story if you're just using it as one piece of a medley? Especially since one of the songs doesn't really relate at all.

I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with responding to any piece of music as just music and perhaps not to the original story that accompanied it but it all comes down to skill as a performer, skill that I know Miyahara definitely has.

As for the Egyptian themed music, we’ll see. It’s so easy to go too tacky.

Moaray

Rinkside
HAN YAN has released a video few days ago, and revealed the music as well. YAN will skate to the music of La La Land, but whether it is the music choice for sp or fs still need to be confirmed.