Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: 2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

Outdated Old Dinosaur

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    Thats the same version Satoko will be using and the performer is John Bayless..it is a lovely piece of music, with two styles mixed and I think it will work well for Satoko...Satoko has used John Bayless before in her Madame Butterfly routine and Romeo and Juliet....Lori used the same piece of music for Peter Liebers!

I love Lori's work with Satoko i think it will be wonderful.....

Her SP sounds interesting...out of the box for Satoko ...and with Benoit should be good....
    No, this won't be paint-by-numbers. At all.

4 Not allowed!
    I need to say, that although I have strong initial reactions to music as well, my 45 years of watching skating leads me to a different conclusion....

At this point, doing something different for the sake of doing something different? Meh. I’d rather see it done well.

Two of my very favorite programs ever ever ever in the past few years have been the worst kind of warhorses: Felicia and Nate’s Les Miz and Grant Hochstein’s Les Miz. Both had the Skates of Their Lives with those programs and I watch those skates again. And again. Because they are that good.

I remember when Jason announced Love Is a B****, and I was huh? And I listened to the music, and I was huh? Yet it turned out to be one of the masterpiece programs of last year.

However, some music will in fact always be a No. and Chaplin is one of those. I just hate Chaplin programs. Full stop.

We all have our quirks

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    Felicia and Nate’s Les Miz and Grant Hochstein’s Les Miz.
    And don't forget Yuna Kim's, 2013 Worlds.

Outdated Old Dinosaur

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    I need to say, that although I have strong initial reactions to music as well, my 45 years of watching skating leads me to a different conclusion....

At this point, doing something different for the sake of doing something different? Meh. I’d rather see it done well.

Two of my very favorite programs ever ever ever in the past few years have been the worst kind of warhorses: Felicia and Nate’s Les Miz and Grant Hochstein’s Les Miz. Both had the Skates of Their Lives with those programs and I watch those skates again. And again. Because they are that good.

I remember when Jason announced Love Is a B****, and I was huh? And I listened to the music, and I was huh? Yet it turned out to be one of the masterpiece programs of last year.

However, some music will in fact always be a No. and Chaplin is one of those. I just hate Chaplin programs. Full stop.

We all have our quirks
    The Les Miz programs you cite... were they innovative, fresh, and ground-breaking? Or did you like them because they represent a personal triumph of the skaters that performed them. And I stress there's nothing wrong with liking them for that reason.

Jason's SP is a perfect example of what I am seeking. It was so off-brand, even mildly shocking, that he would choose this music... I couldn't wait to see it. And I say this as someone who has been off the Jason bandwagon for a few years. He did something out of the box, and I am very happy that he was rewarded for it.

Is anybody thinking, "Gosh, I just can't wait to see another Chaplin program?"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheRoad View Post
    Isn't Schindler List now already a warhorse? I swear ther is at least one skater each year skating on this music...
    do i get my shot of tequila then?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    The Les Miz programs you cite... were they innovative, fresh, and ground-breaking? Or did you like them because they represent a personal triumph of the skaters that performed them. And I stress there's nothing wrong with liking them for that reason.

Jason's SP is a perfect example of what I am seeking. It was so off-brand, even mildly shocking, that he would choose this music... I couldn't wait to see it. And I say this as someone who has been off the Jason bandwagon for a few years. He did something out of the box, and I am very happy that he was rewarded for it.

I agree with you that I am certainly not waiting to see another Chaplin program, but I am upfront about my distaste I can’t speak for anyone else.

I’m just not sure what would be groundbreaking in choreo? i don’t think those programs I cited had particularly “original” choreo. So for me, probably only that they were done extraordinarily well was enough

I have not seen Satoko skate enough to have an opinion as to whether Schindler’s List (plus the other music) will be good for her. Of course I have seen Jason skate enough, and I guess because I know enough about him to know that Schindler’s List would speak to his heritage, and to expect that now David Wilson knows enough about him to play to his strengths, I have high hopes. Whether I’ve seen other SL programs does not affect my (anticipated) opinion of this one.

So maybe knowledge of a particular skater also helps

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    The best Charlie Chaplin skating program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlMFQHbmtpg

The second best. (Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcC21vkLpWQ

0 Not allowed!
    Alexa and Chris Knierim have announced their SP music is At Last, choreo by Benoit Richuad.

https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/...126041600?s=20

Free program -- Drop of Fragrance along with Experience, also choreographed by Benoit.

https://twitter.com/Scimeca_Knierim/...158464000?s=20

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617