2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Satoko Miyahara
SP: “Cleopatra”- choreographed by Benoit Richaud

Oh.

Well, I shall bite my tongue and wait to see whether this attracts the same sort of condemnation that Laurine's Egyptian-themed SP did, or whether being a fan favourite from one of the big Feds protects you from that sort of opprobrium...

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Satoko’s Schindler’s List program also includes Hatikva - the national anthem of Israel.

readernick

Medalist
Oh.

Well, I shall bite my tongue and wait to see whether this attracts the same sort of condemnation that Laurine's Egyptian-themed SP did, or whether being a fan favourite from one of the big Feds protects you from that sort of opprobrium...

There is a difference between respectful and disrespectful programs related to intention and choreography. Laurine's program was not respectful. We will see with Satoko.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
There is a difference between respectful and disrespectful programs related to intention and choreography. Laurine's program was not respectful. We will see with Satoko.

Well speaking of being respectful, it concerns me that she is doing a Schindler's list program in combination with two other pieces. Imo if you're going to do a Schindler's list program you have to go all out and commit to the story, otherwise you're just using it as another pretty piece of music which doesn't feel right. But can you really go all out with the story if you're just using it as one piece of a medley? Especially since one of the songs doesn't really relate at all.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I would think that Satoko wasn’t aware that this choice of FS music/this particular arrangement could be viewed as problematic. It sounds like she happened to hear this music at a John Bayless performance and then decided to use it for a program.

readernick

Medalist
Well speaking of being respectful, it concerns me that she is doing a Schindler's list program in combination with two other pieces. Imo if you're going to do a Schindler's list program you have to go all out and commit to the story, otherwise you're just using it as another pretty piece of music which doesn't feel right. But can you really go all out with the story if you're just using it as one piece of a medley? Especially since one of the songs doesn't really relate at all.

True, I think both of Satoko's choices could be problematic this year. I hope both the programs are respectful and beautiful.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Roman Sadovsky used Schindler's List with Bells of Moscow (aka Prelude in C♯ minor) last season for his FS and it went over really well. People seemed to really like the arrangement. I think in some ways, Bells of Moscow has a sadder sound than the actual Schindler's List music, so it fits well.

readernick

Medalist
Errr, suppose we at least wait till we see it just once before starting to judge?

My whole post made it clear I have not drawn any conclusions. In the hands of the right skater and the right programs, these pieces of music can certainly be done beautifully and respectfully. Satoko can perform any choreography given her musicality and SS. The only question is if her choreographers did her and the material justice. I hope they did.

rosy14

Final Flight
Actually it was not her cut, it was tht music piece by itself. That is, Piazzolla himself mixed hiw own music with Vivaldi.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
My whole post made it clear I have not drawn any conclusions. In the hands of the right skater and the right programs, these pieces of music can certainly be done beautifully and respectfully. Satoko can perform any choreography given her musicality and SS. The only question is if her choreographers did her and the material justice. I hope they did.

Perhaps TallyT was remembering that about two weeks ago when Jason announced Schindler’s List as his FS, there were several comments (none from you) implying that his choice was de facto disrespectful / inappropriate. So far there has been a more measured and generally more favorable response to Satoko’s announcement. I’m not sure why that is, but I do find it odd.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Errr, suppose we at least wait till we see it just once before starting to judge?

I think it should be pretty clear that we are making snap-judgments here. Initial reactions to pieces of music. Choices that are lauded are no more valid than those that are criticized at this point. Because, as you note, none of us have seen any of these programs.

My earlier "Booooo!" is not based on my perceptions of respectful or not. It's based on what I think we'll get:

A pretty skater performing to pretty music put together by a choreographer known for delivering similar pretty programs for similar pretty skaters over the course of decades.

The end result may be pleasing, in the same way that the results of some paint-by-numbers kits might be pleasing,.

But I don't predict we'll get anything fresh or ground-breaking. This skater is capable of something more daring.

russell30

Final Flight
Roman Sadovsky used Schindler's List with Bells of Moscow (aka Prelude in C♯ minor) last season for his FS and it went over really well. People seemed to really like the arrangement. I think in some ways, Bells of Moscow has a sadder sound than the actual Schindler's List music, so it fits well.

Thats the same version Satoko will be using and the performer is John Bayless..it is a lovely piece of music, with two styles mixed and I think it will work well for Satoko...Satoko has used John Bayless before in her Madame Butterfly routine and Romeo and Juliet....Lori used the same piece of music for Peter Liebers! :biggrin:

I love Lori's work with Satoko i think it will be wonderful.....

Her SP sounds interesting...out of the box for Satoko ...and with Benoit should be good....:luv17:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think it should be pretty clear that we are making snap-judgments here. Initial reactions to pieces of music. Choices that are lauded are no more valid than those that are criticized at this point. Because, as you note, none of us have seen any of these programs.

My earlier "Booooo!" is not based on my perceptions of respectful or not. It's based on what I think we'll get:

A pretty skater performing to pretty music put together by a choreographer known for delivering similar pretty programs for similar pretty skaters over the course of decades.

The end result may be pleasing, in the same way that the results of some paint-by-numbers kits might be pleasing,.

But I don't predict we'll get anything fresh or ground-breaking. This skater is capable of something more daring.

Huh. It’s funny how differently we see things. Although she’s not my favorite skater, I never think of her as someone who does pretty, predictable, paint by number programs. She strikes me as someone who’s very engaged with the music and the story she’s telling. Do you feel she should be trying to stretch herself by choosing a different style of music?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you feel she should be trying to stretch herself by choosing a different style of music?

Yep. It's the same criticism I'm having about a lot of what I'm seeing now.

In the interest of self-examination, I have to admit that maybe this is different for me. I've been a fan of the sport for at least 45 years. I feel like I've seen so many of these choices before, and people are expecting we're going to be thrilled to see the same old programs - or at least the same old type of programs.

Bet my house we'll see this pose from Satoko: Soulful, far away sad look in eyes. Reaching outward with delicate left arm and graceful hand, right hand placed gently on the left breast.

As for Kolyada. Chaplin? Like we didn't JUST get enough of that with Messing? So, twirl the cane, stumbling around like he's lost his balance in a precarious situation, but not quite falling. Shrug the shoulders, head tilted to the right, eye's wide, with an endearing playful grin. Gawd, he's so much better than this.

I'll watch a dozen "Juliet!!!" or so-called "Disaster Grease" programs before that, because at least they were something new.