2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

Roo87

Medalist
Not sure if it's been said yet, but Gabby Daleman posted on her Instagram today that her long program is to "It's all coming back to me" by Celine Dion....I can't wait to see this at worlds...Celine in Montreal, mon dieu!!!!!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ That could be a lovely program. I liked Loena's version very much, and Gabrielle's could be great. Looking forward to her take on it.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I would think that Loena might keep her program as she was injured much of last season, and she has already skated her free twice. Have we heard that she is not?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I love that Misha Ge is doing the choreo.

But this medley:eeking: I cannot figure that one out at all :scratch:
Yes, I love thar Misha does so many programs this season, I really love his choreos.
Tbh I heard "Bei mir bist du schön" as "Hey Mr. Shane" when the singer sang it hahahaha will have to get used to the American pronounciation
The music is very old school American, which I kind of love.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I love thar Misha does so many programs this season, I really love his choreos.
Tbh I heard "Bei mir bist du schön" as "Hey Mr. Shane" when the singer sang it hahahaha will have to get used to the American pronounciation
The music is very old school American, which I kind of love.

You are not alone :)

Evidently in the 40s, when people went to buy the record, they asked for "Buy a beer, Mr. Shane"
:laugh2:

To be fair to the singers, the song is based on a Yiddish song. So although the Yiddish was "Germanized", I believe in Yiddish it is pronounced "Shane". But the song is "Tin pan alley", which I love, and I love Tennessee Ernie Ford and 16 Tons, so I hope it works:pray:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Alexia Paganini SP 16 Tons/Bei mir bist du schön
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByI8qZZFRp5/?igshid=rtejb211ekzq

What is this trend over the past few years for teenage girls to skate to a song that's half miner's boast and half labour rights anthem, usually in either frilly frocks or inappropriately slinky catsuits? You'd think it would've been the fellas who'd have picked this one up.

Thankfully, this being Paganini, whatever she might end up doing on the ice I'll have forgotten it before she's even finished moving. Verdict: survivable.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
What is this trend over the past few years for teenage girls to skate to a song that's half miner's boast and half labour rights anthem, usually in either frilly frocks or inappropriately slinky catsuits? You'd think it would've been the fellas who'd have picked this one up.

Thankfully, this being Paganini, whatever she might end up doing on the ice I'll have forgotten it before she's even finished moving. Verdict: survivable.

I guess we can only hope next year someone skates to Bread & Roses/Shame Shame Shame from the Pride sound track! That’d be cool and simultaneously a disaster.

These skaters are so young I’m not that surprised that they choose music without really thinking too deeply about context, that’s what makes it special when against the odds the are able to capture the spirit of the music. Others might disagree but that’s what I felt Yulia Lipnitskaya did in 2014.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I guess we can only hope next year someone skates to Bread & Roses/Shame Shame Shame from the Pride sound track! That’d be cool and simultaneously a disaster.

These skaters are so young I’m not that surprised that they choose music without really thinking too deeply about context, that’s what makes it special when against the odds the are able to capture the spirit of the music. Others might disagree but that’s what I felt Yulia Lipnitskaya did in 2014.

maybe someone, someday will choose to skate on an Andrews Sisters medley in a WWII uniform (i admit it's one of my fs dreams), and we all be sure that she/he knows what is doing :biggrin:

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice

Can someone explain to me why this is such a bad decision? To me it looks like a fun program and I'm actually looking forward to it

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone explain to me why this is such a bad decision? To me it looks like a fun program and I'm actually looking forward to it

As I said upstream, I love Misha choreo, so I will give it a pass for now.

I have not see a lady skate to 16 tons.:shocked: I have only seen one man, I think Morisi? 16 Tons is a tune about an overworked manly man coal miner, sung originally by the inimitable Tennessee Ernie Ford in the most gravelly bass imaginable. ETA: From memory, so it might not be specific, but it’s close:

16 Tons (of coal)
And what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don’t you call me cause I can’t go
I owe my soul to the company store
(American mining companies set up villages for the miners and sold on credit through the company store. Not to the miners’ benefit)

ETA: other lyrics even less applicable to the ladies:

If you see me comin, better step aside
A lot of men didn’t, a lot of men died,
One fist of iron, one fist of steel, if the right one don’t get you then the left one will.
Load 16 tons, and what do you get? [chorus]

Mixing that with a World War II sweetheart tune, this I have to see ;)

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
As I said upstream, I love Misha choreo, so I will give it a pass for now.

I have not see a lady skate to 16 tons.:shocked: I have only seen one man, I think Morisi? 16 Tons is a tune about an overworked manly man coal miner, sung originally by the inimitable Tennessee Ernie Ford in the most gravelly bass imaginable.

16 Tons (of coal)
And what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don’t you call me cause I can’t go
I owe my soul to the company store
(American mining companies set up villages for the miners and sold on credit through the company store. Not to the miners’ benefit)

Mixing that with a World War II sweetheart tune, this I have to see ;)
It does sound like an....interesting mix I have to say. Almost all the programs next year will be interesting(like Satokos new egyptian program)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And why not. Just so folks know what we're talking about

Tennessee Ernie Ford sings 16 Tons

(and I was wrong, far more a baritone. In any event, manly man)

The Andrews Sisters sing Bei Mir Bist du Schon

And I'm far less of a sticker when it comes to the Andrews Sisters. Yes it's a WWII sweetheart song, but a sweetheart song is a sweetheart song, regardless of place and time.:)

It's more difficult, for me, to separate out 16 Tons from an Appalachian coal mine:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
maybe someone, someday will choose to skate on an Andrews Sisters medley in a WWII uniform (i admit it's one of my fs dreams), and we all be sure that she/he knows what is doing :biggrin:

In honor of Memorial Day, some WW2 PROGRAMS of the past:

Delobel/Schoenfelder OD SEASON 2008-09. Andrews Sisters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gyniqWKsc0

Ryan Bradley instrumental) sp 2010-2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-FiufTjd8

Samuelson & Bates Season 2008-2009 OD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNTFc65l_s

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

Omg that would be awesome! ETA: I just realized that's exactly what Delobel/Schoenfelder did in the video linked above by dorispulaski! And it was just as fun as one would imagine!

Also, agreeing with everyone else - what an odd pairing of 16 tons and Bei mir! Quite a juxtaposition.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Somehow I missed the confirmation on both GS and FSU that Hawayek & Baker's program to Saturday Night Fever is an RD but I see that it is listed as one now on both sites. Does someone have a link to where this was confirmed? (Or if it is on an instagram story, just let me know as I don't have an instagram account). Thanks!