Peggy Fleming & Terry Gannon at Rose Parade | Golden Skate

Peggy Fleming & Terry Gannon at Rose Parade

S

SkateFan4Life

When I turned on the ABC-Television coverage of today's Tournament of Roses Parade, I heard two very familiar voices - none other than Peggy Fleming and Terry Gannon in the broadcast booth, calling the parade.

IMHO, they did an excellent job. Terry joked that he had had to go to bed at 10:00 p.m. last night in order to get up for the early-morning broadcast. Peggy looked beautiful, and she shared with the television audience that she had watched the parade in person as a young girl, as she and her family resided in Pasadena, about six blocks from the parade route. Her first skating rink was also located in the nearby area.

They made references to the fact that they would soon be working again - at US Nationals.

Happy New Year to All! :biggrin:

I was in the 1960 Rose Bowl (Washington 44, Wisconsin 8).

What position did I play? Trombone.

MM:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Unfortunately I thought she was just as annoying in this broadcast as she is on the skating commentary... just don't like her style...

I enjoy Al Roker more :)

and Trombones are awesome, MM! :rock:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terry did commentary for last year's Rose Parade as well. I imagine this was Peggy's first time doing it.

I got a kick out of hearing the music ABC has used for many years (since 1996?) at the beginning of the broadcast. If I only had had the sound on, I would have thought figure skating coverage was on, and that's exactly what happened last year on New Year's Day. I was momentarily out of the living room, heard that music, and Terry's voice ... :rofl: :agree: :laugh:

I'm from Philly, and am not loyal to the Mummer's Parade (please, if there are any local Mummers fans out here, don't throw tomatoes at me :boohoo: - I'm just not into string bands - I'm sure the Mummers work incredibly hard to get ready for their big day). I :love: the Rose Parade! :party: :rock:

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

iluvtodd said:
Terry did commentary for last year's Rose Parade as well. I imagine this was Peggy's first time doing it.

Yes, I think this was Peggy's first time as a commentator for the Rose Parade. She mentioned that she had attended the parade when she as a youngster growing up in the Pasadena area, but when Terry Gannon asked her if she ever attended a Rose Bowl football game, Peggy laughed and said, "No, I was busy with skating practice." Smart girl! đź‘Ť

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought it was Peggy, I was actually watching the other station. I thought their coverage was better.