USA Today stories on John Coughlin | Golden Skate

USA Today stories on John Coughlin

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Christine Brennen recently wrote two stories regarding John Coughlin:

Former figure skater's family blamed suicide on false accusation

Attorney: Olympic governing body 'knows the truth' behind late figure skater's alleged sexual abuse

As these are both new developments, we will be opening this topic for discussion. However, Forum Guidelines apply and this thread will be locked when discussions have gone its course.

Please stick to discussing the article content.

We appreciate your cooperation.

GS Forum Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
“The SafeSport Code and the interim measure process that was communicated to him directly, and which is on our website, makes it clear that he could provide information, evidence, speak for himself and even ask for a hearing that would have been accommodated in 72 hours by rule,” he said. “That hearing would have been in front of an independent arbitrator. That’s such a critical part of all of this.”

I figured his not talking about the allegations had more to do with advice from his attorney than anything else, but I'm kind of surprised that SafeSport would be able to offer a hearing within 72 hours of it being requested. That wouldn't seem to give witnesses, victims, etc. ample opportunity to participate. So I'm not sure what could actually be determined on such short notice.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
“The SafeSport Code and the interim measure process that was communicated to him directly, and which is on our website, makes it clear that he could provide information, evidence, speak for himself and even ask for a hearing that would have been accommodated in 72 hours by rule,” he said. “That hearing would have been in front of an independent arbitrator. That’s such a critical part of all of this.”

I figured his not talking about the allegations had more to do with advice from his attorney than anything else, but I'm kind of surprised that SafeSport would be able to offer a hearing within 72 hours of it being requested. That wouldn't seem to give witnesses, victims, etc. ample opportunity to participate. So I'm not sure what could actually be determined on such short notice.

I think that it is saying that if the accused is convinced that any investigation or hearing is going to exonerate him/her or if he/she has proof that these are false accusations and so he/she wants to give his/her testimony as soon as possible, Safesport must accommodate that within 72 hours of the request. Safesports can't just be like we have other things we are dealing with so you have to wait your turn while the accused is in limbo possibly in suspension. I don't think that means that the hearing is supposed to end within 72 hours. Things might come up during the hearing where it would be determined that further testimonies or investigations are needed but at least it's already in the process and the accused was given the opportunity to address the accusations. Just my interpretation of it so correct me if I am wrong.

It is common for lawyers to prevent their clients to speak to investigators or say anything publicly before they prepare their client for questioning or to craft a defense, that is smart and prudent. But that is not what Coughlin and now his family after his death has been saying publicly. They were saying that he was not given the chance to defend himself by Safesport, something that Safesport is refuting by outlining their above policy.

okokok1777

Rinkside
“My clients and I want to make this clear: John Coughlin used his position of trust and power and prominence in figure skating to sexually abuse multiple minors, three of whom I represent,” Manly said in a telephone interview one day after a USA TODAY Sports story reported that Coughlin’s family told a medical investigator that he committed suicide after he was falsely accused of sexual misconduct by someone they said he was competing with for a TV commentating job.

I'm very happy that the young women have legal representation. I hope that SafeSport can launch an investigation into any complicit parties (coaches, USFS, etc.) who may have contributed to ongoing abuse.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm very happy that the young women have legal representation. I hope that SafeSport can launch an investigation into any complicit parties (coaches, USFS, etc.) who may have contributed to ongoing abuse.

It's very important, for the sport more broadly, that any allegations are investigated. Even if nothing is conclusively determined, knowing what happened might help with the implementation of additional safeguards for athletes, as well as coaches.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
So it seems like this won’t be buried? I’m glad the victims are coming forward and will fight for justice, such a difficult thing to do but a necessary evil.
I think we will get more news on this as the year goes by and sooner or later the truth will come out.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read that Safe Sport will not continue any investigation into the matters involving John. This from a March 1st story.

"Since the Center’s response and resolution process works to protect the sport community and other covered persons from the risks associated with sexual misconduct and abuse," SafeSport said in its Feb. 12 statement, "it cannot advance an investigation when no potential threat exists."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw2rbmSsQ1b_9CpQw58BTVhl&ust=1554000443198396

I’ve been less than impressed with Safe Sport and the reporting on this story. I’m not sure we’ll ever get the whole truth honestly.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a victim of sexual assault, I applaud the women in this case.

I understand why John's family is doing what they are doing, no one believes that a beloved family member would ever do something like this. I'm sure most people in the sport won't speak out about it because they don't want to put any more pain on John's family.

Will we ever get the full truth? Probably not. That being said, I hope the women who are coming forward won't allow themselves to be silenced. They deserve to be heard, and to heal to the best of their ability.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

I understand why John's family is doing what they are doing, no one believes that a beloved family member would ever do something like this. I'm sure most people in the sport won't speak out about it because they don't want to put any more pain on John's family.

Will we ever get the full truth? Probably not. That being said, I hope the women who are coming forward won't allow themselves to be silenced. They deserve to be heard, and to heal to the best of their ability.

Here here!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That's not good enough. As someone who watched with a growing sense of sick horror the recent Royal Commission in our country, I have no sympathy left over, except for the victims, and certainly none for the naysayers.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I will say that it is ludicrous and obscene that SafeSport expects victims to speak out about their abusers... but then won't finish an investigation if a situation like Coughlin's happens, destroying their incentive for speaking out in the first place??? They can't even hold up their end of the bargain but expect victims to risk their livelihoods and potentially be retraumatized by people calling them liars and shamefully blaming them for Coughlin's suicide... not to mention how some members of the US skating community have utterly disgraced themselves in the process of defending Coughlin without any regard for his victims or the consideration that he even had victims to begin with. Too many people in this situation who should know better have acted horribly IMO.

Casual

On the Ice
I have no sympathy left over, except for the victims, and certainly none for the naysayers.

This. I am disgusted by the customary willful blindness by smallminded people who'll always prefer to believe the perpetrators - just because they want to keep liking them, guilt-free - instead of ever considering the merits of the victims' case.

It happens all the time. Whenever someone more powerful or popular is accused of abuse, the naysayers come out in droves. That's why it's nearly impossible to fight abuse, and why going public takes such toll on the victims.

"But we like him/her! And we want to keep liking him/her. And we don't want to feel any guilt for liking a bad person. (Therefore, lets gang-up on the victims, and blame them.)"

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Adding to the awfulness of this situation is the family’s new allegation (without providing any evidence) that John was being sabotaged by a rival for a skating-oriented job with the Olympic committee. This is extremely unfair to any number of former skaters who could be thought to be among the possibilities. And of course it ignores the fact that the accusations against John weren’t made by just one adult person in search of a media job; some were by made by minors.

gmyers

Record Breaker

There is no evidence here that Coughlin is allowed to talk to the press!

https://77media.blob.core.windows.n...8.2018-03-21---appendix-a---final-amended.pdf

People are saying Coughlin could have defended himself publicly in the press but there is no evidence of that.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will say that it is ludicrous and obscene that SafeSport expects victims to speak out about their abusers... but then won't finish an investigation if a situation like Coughlin's happens, destroying their incentive for speaking out in the first place??? They can't even hold up their end of the bargain but expect victims to risk their livelihoods and potentially be retraumatized by people calling them liars and shamefully blaming them for Coughlin's suicide... not to mention how some members of the US skating community have utterly disgraced themselves in the process of defending Coughlin without any regard for his victims or the consideration that he even had victims to begin with. Too many people in this situation who should know better have acted horribly IMO.

I understand the frustration. Safesport is not a law enforcement agency. It's role is to protect people from a threat of abuse.

Whether or not he was in the past (and I do not speculate), we know with certainty that he is not now a threat. He's dead. He's not threatening anyone.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think it would be difficult, especially without knowing specific allegations, to defend against the charges.

Charges have been levied... how do you defend, with evidence, that you did not do what is alleged? I suppose if you knew the specifics, like "It happened in Vienna" but he can prove he had never been to Vienna, it would be one thing. But if the charge is "It happened at training camp" how would he prove his innocence?

I think the fact that he did not request a hearing is not an indicator one way or the other. I do not know how much information about the allegations was disclosed to him.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Whatever the truth actually is, the family's story just doesn't make sense. They claim that it was a third party who did it to sabotage John, but three alleged victims have retained legal counsel now. So regardless of who made the first complaint, this is not just a third party. And it was pretty gross that the coroner's report or whatever was treating the family's story as fact. There's no reason the coroner should be passing judgement on the truthfulness of the allegations against him.

russell30

Final Flight
Christine Brennen recently wrote two stories regarding John Coughlin:

Former figure skater's family blamed suicide on false accusation

Attorney: Olympic governing body 'knows the truth' behind late figure skater's alleged sexual abuse

As these are both new developments, we will be opening this topic for discussion. However, Forum Guidelines apply and this thread will be locked when discussions have gone its course.

Please stick to discussing the article content.

We appreciate your cooperation.

GS Forum Staff

GS Staff - I think we should stick to the happy side of Figure Skating on the Forum....let the authorities sort this out..

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hasn't John already been convicted in the court of public opinion, when some people refer to his accusers as victims and most of the support is for the accusers? I think it would’ve been very hard to assemble absolute proof of his innocence of the allegations within a 72-hour time frame. What if he'd been legally advised not to try to prove his innocence at that time?

There’s a scene in the biopic "John Adams," based on the biography by David McCullough. In the years running up to the Revolution, feelings ran high. Adams witnessed a man being tarred and feathered because he was accused of support for the Tory side. The mob ruled, and a barbaric punishment ensued. That was the court of public opinion then; we have another harmful one now.