Do you think that they can/will? | Golden Skate

Do you think that they can/will?

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
I am certain that Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto will eventually medal at Worlds. What I wonder is if they can/will win at Worlds.

I think that they won't until the teams that are above them retire/turn pro.
However, after that, the sky is the limit!

What do the rest of you think?

Kuchana

On the Ice
Hey I don't see why not. They did a great program at GPF and beat the Bulgarians so yeah I see them as a definite contender:) It's good to see a U.S. ice team finally have a viable opportunity to medal.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
On the CBC GPF broadcast (#1) both Underhill and Martini said that next year will be the true test for Belbin/Agosto, because then we'll see their competitive response to being ineligible for the Olympics.

They both assume that there's no way Belbin will become a US citizen in time. I'm not sure they are 100% right about this. Since her application was lost in the post 9/11 shuffle, there's an outside chance that an exception will be made to fast-track it to where it would have been without the delay.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Paul Martini also made the comment that "this team will be world champions one day, just when is the question."

Kuchana

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
On the CBC GPF broadcast (#1) both Underhill and Martini said that next year will be the true test for Belbin/Agosto, because then we'll see their competitive response to being ineligible for the Olympics.

They both assume that there's no way Belbin will become a US citizen in time. I'm not sure they are 100% right about this. Since her application was lost in the post 9/11 shuffle, there's an outside chance that an exception will be made to fast-track it to where it would have been without the delay.

Yeah especially if they can contend for Olympic gold. Now that would definitely drive the USFSA to get that application through I would think.

euterpe

Medalist
That isn't going to happen (Belbin/Agosto winning gold at 2005 Worlds). Worlds 2005 is in Moscow and there is no way N/K won't win. As it is, they beat B/A by almost 10 points in the GPF.

As much as we would like to see B/A at Torino, that probably is not going to happen, either. However, we may see them win gold at Worlds 2006.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
euterpe said:
That isn't going to happen (Belbin/Agosto winning gold at 2005 Worlds). Worlds 2005 is in Moscow and there is no way N/K won't win. As it is, they beat B/A by almost 10 points in the GPF.

As much as we would like to see B/A at Torino, that probably is not going to happen, either. However, we may see them win gold at Worlds 2006.
ITA. In fact, I'd say both N&K and D&S have a finesse that B&A still lack (their silver over D&S at GPF notwithstanding). They are getting better with each season (which is not so much true of the older teams). If N&K and D&S retire after the Olympics I'm sure B&A will be immediate gold favorites. By 2007, I think they'll be gold contenders even if older teams stay.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Thanks for asking!

I was watching a repeat of the GPF last night and wondering about just this subject. The following is unbridled personal opinion:
Yes, Tanith and Ben are the best chance at a gold medal in ice dance that the US has ever had. Period. And they're young enough to wait out the Russians, the Bulgarians and the INS. Could they beat the Russians now? No. They still have some rough edges, and the judges will hand N&K the gold unless they're really, really bad, as they were at NHK. It can be argued that N&K are more well-rounded ice dancers than the other two teams, too.
Could they beat the Bulgarians again? Maybe - but only if D&S decide to commit another ice-dance atrocity on the scale of "Bach to Africa".
As I see it, if B&A want to move up, they're going to have to start stretching themselves a little. They've proven that they can skate enthusiastically and with increasing skill to fast, exciting music. Now it's time for them to take a page from N&K's book and show us what else they can do. They've got one great expression - their smiles. They need to master something different. I would LOVE to see B&A choose a piece next year that's slower and has more romance and drama. (Just not Tosca, kids. I don't think I could handle another Tosca.)
Couldn't something be done to expedite Tanith's citizenship process? Perhaps a petition? I'd be happy to send a note to my Congressperson if it would help! If someone with more time on his or her hands than I would like to look into this, perhaps now would be a good time to get it started. 2006 is just around the corner!
Rave

lavender

Record Breaker
They certainly have it to beat the Bulgarians but they won't beat N/K. The only way that will happen is if they mess up like they did when the Bulgarians won.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I don't think they have it yet but t6hey will. If politics don't get in the way.